Dancers Anonymous > "Bargain dress" I couldn't pass up, opinions reque

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by macha, May 9, 2005.

1. macha

macha New Member

So I find this dress on the sale rack at our mall's "better than you, so HA but not as good as Bob Mackie, but you rednecks don't know the difference anyways, so HA" store for a nice price. It's actually more of a "chai latte" color than the "pink" or "mauve it seems to throw out in the pic, but I wanted to ask if this was the type of dress one might find suitable to wear to a performance of CATS at the local art centre this fall. It's the actual Broadway Cats version, so I figured that the "Git 'er Done" cap might not be suitable (God HELP the sonovavych (hey, that sounds russian!) that thought that STUPID line up! GAH!).

If this is a green-light for Cats, then I'm assuming black pants and white shirt with black jacket for the male, right? Regular neck-tie with complementary colors?

I have some akoyas I'm DYING to wear with this thing, too- there are so many things I'd like to put with this dress, but I don' t know which will make the cut. :) I'd like to find a shawl or wrap to go with it, as my arms are WAY TOO white. If I just wear sleeveless tops and try to get color, I'll either burn, or freckle up. Ick. I hate freckles.

[​IMG]

2. Tasek

Tasek New Member

I don't know the formal etiquette (rarely do), but that dress looks fine to me for the situation you described.

3. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Nice frock! It's got pretty decoration on the shoulders so it would be a shame to cover them with a shrug or evening jacket. I'd say a nice plain rectangular wrap in co-ordinating satin or velvet, no decoration, the dress is pretty enough that it doesn't need to have it's thunder stolen with beading or whatever.

For what it's worth I've never been to a Broadway show but I've been to a few West End shows in London and that dress would not in any way look out of place. Well, maybe a bit much for a matinee but beautiful for an evening show.

Cats is a lot of fun.

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The dress looks fine to me. :D

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Why not model it for us?

6. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I like it, macha. The skirt and the neckline have the simplicity of Grecian draperies, but there's also a touch of glamour in the bodice. Wear a shawl/wrap on the way to the theatre if you need to, but take it off inside, particularly when you're sipping champagne in the bar at the interval!

Have a great time and let us know how it went,

Rosa :)

PS Not too much jewellery, that would detract from the simplicity of the dress.

7. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I would love to go somewhere and wear a dress like that! I can't remember that last time I went to real "dress-up" event

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The dress looks entirely appropriate. You're going to look smashing. Don't worry about white arms. I bet a lot of ladies will be sporting porcelain complexions (porcelain sounds better than pale, doesn't it? :wink: )

Have fun. 8)

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

and a pair of elbow length gloves

10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Sounds good! :D

11. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

The dress looks great!

A shawl would be nice, but I agree with removing when inside.

The gloves idea is seems appropriate, too.

Need a date? ;)

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Flirt Alert!!!

13. Medira

Medira New Member

The dress looks lovely and it is completely appropriate for a performance of Cats. I agree with the earlier statement of not a lot of jewellery, because that will detract from the dress itself.

Enjoy the show!

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Just so you know...when I go to shows I just go in jeans and a dress shirt. But wearing what you wear you definitely will look very nice.

15. macha

macha New Member

:oops: :oops: :oops: You goys! :wink: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have to find some pointy-toe shoes. Just ONE little bitty string o' pearls, not quite choker style, but what COLOR gloves? That sounds so fun! I'm going to cut my hair to a suitable length before then so I can put it up, too. It's too heavy to do anything with now.

I'm not typically prudy, but bigger gals like me bearing that much flesh- *shudders*... without some sort of ... pigmentation- Definitely a wrap. Gotta get a wrap. Just not a big pink Carlotta wrap- :lol:

I'd really worried that it'd be over-the-top, but there's a small group of us "artsies" that always over-do and sit on the floor level, and glare prissily over our shoulders if anyone yells "git 'er done" or asks "where's the cupholders in this damn thang" :twisted: ... It's fun to play dress-up once ever so often. Can you imagine how dangerous I'd be picking ballroom constumes? :lol:

... and then converge at Waffle House later for scattered, smothered, covered, AND chunked hashbrowns :shock: :roll:

16. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

I do hope you're going to an evening show, I've seen lots of people wearing jeans to matinees on Broadway (what I usually go to, heh).
    The dress is beautiful!

17. macha

macha New Member

Yes, yes- Evening for certain (we MUST eat first :D )

18. DancePoet

I agree with the choice of necklace, and I'd suggest white gloves with a white shawl and white shoes.

I don't know if you saw my question regarding whether or not you need a date, but hey ... how about some after dinner/breakfast chocolates, too? ;)

19. DancePoet

Shhhhhhh! Don't tell too many people. :nope:

20. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Very pretty dress, macha!