Dancers Anonymous > Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Spitfire, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

For any of my fellow dancers who are also sports fans though I don't meet many (and likewise no dancers among fellow sports fans).

The NBA begins it's season tonight. What is your favorite NBA/College team? Mine are:

NBA - Phoenix Suns
    College - Arizona Wildcats (Lute Olsen's the man here).

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

NBA - Sacramento Kings
    College - I like them all, and can't wait for March Madness to come around each year . . .

3. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

NBA - New Jersey Nets... Amonst many other... A few years back it seemed I was the only Jersey fan, now they seem to be coming out of the wood work...

College - Duke, St Johns, Cuse.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I would expect the L.A. Lakers and Sacramento Kings to be listed here since this forum has strong California representation.

For once in a long time I get to see the Suns on tv opening night vs. San Antonio. Their games haven't been shown much down here in the past seasons.

5. dancer_of_god

dancer_of_god New Member

That does it...

Why doesn't any body consider dance a sport? Just because we don't use a ball and have the whole point of it to maul the other team, people think we are just people who are more flexible then they are!!!!! :x

Seriously, even at my school my PE teacher doesn't allow me to use dance as an exercise entry. What is wrong with people?!? Dance is totally a sport, and possably even more so then most others. SO THERE!! :twisted:

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

d_o_g, I agree that dance can be at least as athletic as most sports... but, "so there" is never a very convincing argument – so what substantive arguments could you make in support of this position?

7. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

NBA - Philadelphia 76ers (My hometown!!)
    College - Maryland (My alma mata!!)

8. Sarah

Sarah New Member

Re: That does it...

Excercise != sport.

For me, personally, dancing is not a sport. I have never competed and don't forsee doing so in the future. For others however - well the term `dancesport' exists for a reason, and it can be argued that competitive dancing is as much a sport as gymnastics or dressage[1].
    There are also sports that don't require huge amounts of physical fitness even at the highest levels - lawn bowls and snooker spring to mind.

Now if excercise is what counts then dance probably[2] qualifies - maybe you could quantify something such as your post-dance heartrate compared to your resting heartrate, and show that the excercise benefits are comparable to (or preferably better than) something that is officially considered excercise.

If you don't want to argue with your school authorities and walking is considered excercise, include your dance practice as that. Well you were moving your weight from one foot to the other weren't you? - who cares wether it was backwards, forwards, in time to music, round in circles, or while hanging on to another person. ;)

Cheers
    Sarah

[1] Some people argue that a sport should have an objective quantifiable criterion or criteria for winning, which cuts anything that requires a judge to decide who's best.

[2] almost definitely.