Swing Discussion Boards > Bebop dancing

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Mar 11, 2006.

1. luh

luh Active Member

Hi Guys,
    I've currently seen some bebop dance videos. Anyone who wants to say what (s)he thinks about it? I'm curious how you cats/kittens think about it!

Just my 2 cents to bebop:

Looks like ugly danced lindy hop.
    I guess it was one of the many dances that evolved out of Lindy Hop, and changed with the music it was danced to.

luh

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Bebop? As in bebop jazz? I can't for the life of me imagine how that works. Bebop generally is not intended to be danced to.

3. luh

luh Active Member

ocean-daughter likes this.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Well! That's definitely not bebop jazz music. :lol: But, if I had to guess, yeah, luh. I'd guess that it's another one of the billion dances that evolved out of lindy. :cool: (Okay. MAybe not a billion, but a lot. :lol: )

5. The two bebop dancing videos (the old black and white ones) are both in fast motion...
    I actually like them.

But the rest of the videos, with the guy in the black shirt... well, I really dont like that at all. It was terrible, and when they dance Electronic Tango... That was awful, I simply couldnt stand it.

Thats my opinion.

6. pygmalion

Okay. Now that I've watched all the clips, I have a question. At the risk of sounding stupid, are these clips of the same dance? There are a few that appear to be recent -- the choreographed performance clips, but not the tango one -- that have a very low key, casual feel to them, and use an ECS-style six count/triple step, unless I'm miscounting. The older clips look a lot more like Lindy, to me.

No idea what I'm looking at. :?

7. pygmalion

Wowza! While I was trying to figure out what dance that is (I guessed shag but was wrong) a miracle happened. I found a video clip of East Coast Swing -- that I liked! :lol: I guess it's all in the styling. The ECS I've been taught has always been a lot bouncier and more jive-like. Blech! But this I could do. :cool: There are also clips of WCS and shag here, btw. No bop, though, which is a pity. I guess, since it's a Bop club, they figured you'd know what it looked like. :cool:

http://www.buckeyebop.org/videos.htm

8. luh

luh Active Member

well on the website it's labeled bebop. (just check out the main site) - and the old ones do look cool. - but the new ones? really - i mean - tention in the wrong place - no real leading - looks like the followers just walk down the routine...
    yes i stop - but it just looks so so weird.

pygmalion - but still it's not lindy. i mean you could do a lindy step to funk music and it wouldn't be lindy any more...

luh

9. luh

luh Active Member

just took a look at one of the vids. where they steal - that is a so cheap steal. i mean really come one. they should take a look at how andrew steals - but this way?

funny though- i learned sth completely different as ECS - they called it jittebug - but i'm sure it was ecs - it was to neo-swing and rocked way more than this.

words in the swing scene are probably some of the most undefined ones. jitterbug in the first place...
    luh

10. pygmalion

Yeah. I've heard the arguments about swung versus un-swung music and doing "swing" dances to them. Eh. Whatever. :cool:

I have no idea what dances they're doing in your clips or whether they're doing those particular dances well or badly. *shrug* My take? Lindy hop was a starting point, from which scores of different dances evolved, many of which have a totally different character from Lindy -- that's kinda the point of evolution, IMO. Live and let live, IMO. :cool:

11. pygmalion

Not just the swing scene lol. There are some pretty hilarious threads over in ballroom where we discuss well-known terms for pages and pages, trying to nail down a commonly accepted definition. Maybe that's just the nature of the beast. *shrug*

I could've sworn d nice had a pretty clear definition for jitterbug in some thread or the other -- it was an old thread, though, so it probably won't be easy to find. :?

12. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

From the clips I watched, it looks like mostly ECS (aka the jitterbug, 6-ct lindy, numerous other names) with a few charleston style kick steps, particularly the charleston, or fast lindy, swingout. I agree - the older clip looked pretty neat, like what my dad danced when he was younger. But the newer ones, well... they looked like a ECS performance routine, very upright and choreographed, which has never taken my fancy.

13. pygmalion

Exactly. I caught the 6-count and the triple steps. But, until today, I never saw an ECS that didn't bounce. :lol:

Is it possible that there's something similar but different called "be-bop"?

14. luh

luh Active Member

i'm sure it's not ecs - not all 6 count is ecs. i mean there is boogie, jive - all that stuff - and it's all not ecs. why not have another dance that is 6count called bebop. (the website has it as that on there website) - i think boogie as jive as this stuff in the video looks not as cool as the original.

here it's pretty hard line between boogie dancers and lindy dancers though they sometimes have events together.

lindy hoppers here are most of the times open minded, cool guys who like to go crazy. and most of them dislike boogie because it has lost the huge variety of what you can do in lindy and the steady bounce (boogie dancers dancing lindy looks hilarious in my opinion (and lot of other lindy hoppers here)

boogies are here mostly are square (simple-minded) - that's as well why the two scenes don't mix well.

luh

15. It's Wonderful

Oh, I'm sure. From what I've seen in the clips, bebop is another stepping stone between lindy and 6-ct swing. It looks like the do mostly 6-ct, with a few 8-ct swingout type movements, but in more of a charleston style. Looks like it's danced to faster music that was becoming popular in the 50's, thus the need for a dance style that could be danced faster more easily than lindy. The vintage clips look really cool - and very similar to what I see in lindy jams when people are feeling a little lazy! The new ones - eh, just another name for ECS with some 8-ct moves thrown in.

Edit: I think of ECS as more the Amer. Rhythm ballroom swing - not the 6-ct swing you see on the social floor - there are so many styles of 6-ct swing, and so many names floating around, it's hard to give anything a hard and fast label.

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

be bop a lu la...be my baby!! be-bop...pop rock?

17. luh

luh Active Member

yeah - but as i stated above - i would not call every version of 6ct swing ecs!!!
    you wouldn't call jive ecs - would you? or a 6ct lindy is still lindy not ecs - even though its 6 count
    luh

18. luh

luh Active Member

oh - this is sth i completely forgot to tell you guys.

bebop dancing afair is a french thing. i remember having a dj who told me that when he was young he was a dummer (it was in france) - and he told me as well of the evolution of bebop music. - no looking at the website - it's french. - makes sense...
    luh

19. pygmalion

Exactly. One root. Tons of different dances. :cool:

20. It's Wonderful

I couldn't agree more! I usually call any kind of 6-ct swing simply "6-ct swing", and if I need to clarify it more I give a little description. Like I said, there are so many names that vary depending on region, teachers, and various other factors, that there's too much room for error by giving the dance any title.