Country and Western > Becoming a line dance instructor...

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by linedancinglulu, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. linedancinglulu

    linedancinglulu New Member

    I've been taking line dance classes for about three and a half years now and am very much interested in teaching professionally. I live in California. Does anybody know how I can obtain a license?
  2. pygmalion

    pygmalion Well-Known Member

    Is a license required? :)
  3. dancersdreamland

    dancersdreamland New Member

    I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything about obtaining a license specifc to being a line dance instructor. It's my understanding most people simply begin teaching line dance after years of learning, pracitcing and dancing.

    I know you can obtain certifications and dance degrees in various other styles of dancing.

    A few quick questions... How did you hear about an instructor's license and is someone requesting you to obtain it? If so, I would simply ask that person how to go about it.

    Anyone else know...
  4. linedancinglulu

    linedancinglulu New Member

    Thanks for trying to help...

    I've been teaching for free for almost a year now at a local park because without a license (or a teaching certification) I can't obtain a permit for most other locations and can't charge any fees. I heard someone got hers by paying $300 without having to take any exams, but I'm a little skeptical. So far no one around me knows or wouldn't tell me (I think they're afraid of competitition). I'd like to obtain a certification mainly so my teaching would be perceived as more legitimate and I could expand my horizons in the future.
  5. Vince A

    Vince A Active Member

    I taught linedancing for years in CA . . . colleges, bars, social clubs, grade schools, fairs, before a dance, and host of other places.

    I NEVER had or was even asked for a license, nor do I fear some kind of repercussion for admitting this in public. I surely won't be looking over my shoulder for a "C&W linedancing instructor's license" seeking cop!

    It would be nice for you to have something to see other just your word for it. A plaque, a trophy, pictures, a video, etc.
  6. dancersdreamland

    dancersdreamland New Member

    Re: Thanks for trying to help...

    The only thing I can think of would be a formal dance degree from a college or university... It woudn't focus specifically on line dance, but would definately add credability to your skills, knowledge, and presence as a teacher.

    You may also want to chat with some national line dance groups/publications and see if they have additional information... Here are a few links:

    Linedancer Magazine -
    List of Organizations -

    If you do find out anything more about a specific license, please share with us.

    All the best!
  7. wcsjon

    wcsjon New Member

    I've recieved e-mails before from groups of people (in my opinion) trying to make money off of people by teaching them to be teachers (half of which I don't think have good technique, much less teaching skills). I have taught at clubs, competitions, one junior college, one major college, and I currently teach at a studio. Nothing has ever been asked of me as far as some certification. Now to be a judge is a different story. As far as getting around red tape, if someone is trying to pull something like that, just go to a dance studio, ask them if you can rent a floor for them, get their floor fee price and charge CASH for your lessons (including enough to cover floor costs).
  8. pygmalion

    pygmalion Well-Known Member

    Hi wcsjon. Welcome. :D

    What kind of dance do you teach? From your name, I'm guessing West Coast, at least. Anything else? 8)

    Just curious. I'm wondering about the whole certification process (if there is one) outside the ballroom dance world. 8)
  9. wcsjon

    wcsjon New Member

    I teach West coast, two-step, east coast, and line, that's about all I teach around here.
  10. dTas

    dTas New Member

    i don't know of anyone or any place requiring a dance certification to allow your to teach.


    i have heard of needing a business license and business insurance in order to teach at certain places. and obtaining business insurance and an business license can cost upwards of $300 or more.
  11. dancergal

    dancergal New Member

    I know quite a few people that teach line dancing. I used to be a line dance instructor's helper in our local nightclub in Calif. (Bay area) for a few years and our instructor never had a license. She just knew a lot of dances and had the knack for teaching. I know some other people that teach line dancing at a local adult education and they don't have a license. I don't know how they go about getting the job in the first place, but I have never heard of anyone having a license to teach dancing.

    (ps, I don't live in Calif. anymore, just recently moved to Ariz.)
  12. Vince A

    Vince A Active Member

    . . . traitor . . . :wink:
  13. Anthony (Wigan)

    Anthony (Wigan) New Member

    I dont believe a license is required for teaching but ensure the venue has public liability insurance and either you or the venue has a public performance license in order to play the music...
  14. trent88

    trent88 New Member

    Same here i dont think there is a place requiring a dance certification to teach. Maybe all they wanted is some proof of your credential as a good dancer.
    Anyway, yes i agree in obtaining a business license instead and put up your own dance business or dance workshop. As for insurance you can shop around for online isurance. I have, i found it at the net.
    good luck.

Share This Page