General Dance Discussion > Benefits of Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on this subject, things you notice that dancing does to improve the quality of life?

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

When I started dancing I would literally shake when I talked to a girl I was attracted to. Within a couple of years, people questioned my character because they were always seeing me with a different girl. And a couple of years after that, I met the girl of my dreams and married her.

So that's one benefit! :D

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Following up on DanceMentor's point, aside from confidence, dance provides me with a social and physical outlet all wrapped up into one...and, at times, a spiritual one as well.

4. Phil Owl

All of the above for me, and this Owl adds:

1) The exercise (especially cardiovascular) is incredible, and idancing is a heck of a lot more fun AND prettier than going to the gym! :wink:

2) It does build social confidence (as I described in some detail on my The Owl Also Dances webpage). Where I used to be incurably shy (almost morbidly in all honesty), dancing really helped me to get out of my shell and hoot!

3) Spiritually and emotionally, it just has me nothing short of flying any time I go dancing!

4) The leadership and decisiveness aspect is so cool too. Quite literally thining on your feet and making decisions on short notice, a lot like improvising jazz or blues on an instrument (I'm also a musician)

5) It actually helped my musicianship in the respect of helping me get a more solid sense and awareness of rhythm, timing, pacing and phrasing.

5. DanceMentor

I really enjoy teaching and performing. It's kind of cool being the center of attention and having people look up up to you (although that may me a figment of my imagination :lol: )
    This also creates a problem. Now I'm not afraid to do anything!...even really idiotic things. But I've learned to talk my way out of it (a benefit).

I really like meeting new people. There are so many additional benefits that life offers when you are actively meeting new people and making friends. Dancing helps tremendously in this area.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

For social interaction I don't think anything else can top it and what's very unique about it is that it is a setting that is just as fair to people who are very shy as it is to those who are more outgoing. Everyone has an equal chance and in the long run I don't think one's personal appearence holds an advantage.

Dancing has very good therapeutic value. I've known people who got into it as a way to deal with a difficult life change such as a divorce or widowment and it has helped them a great deal.

7. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

One more to add

I abosolutely agree with everything you said...

In fact, the American Heart Association includes dancing in a list of activities that promote good heart health.

It also helps with so many other health benefits it really is amazing...

To me though the best part is that it is just...

FUN!

I don't think that anything compares to this one element...

The fact that you are having fun gives you confidence because you are so busy having fun, you're not even thinking that "your talking to this beautiful woman (or handsome man).

The fact that you are having fun let's you forget that you are burning about 400 calories an hour...

So yes, I agree with everything, but just wanted to add that one...

8. Phil Owl

Good point Fernando!!! :D

I knew that dancing was great exercise, but I was never aware of how much it would burn in the way of calories, DOUBLY COOL!

9. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

It gives me confidence!!!

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Did anybody mention all the cool people you meet? And the excuses to purchase new shoes? :lol:

11. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

I'm convinced that it helps to keep you young. Look at Frankie Manning. He's 89 and still going strong. Plus, I know quite a few folks in their sixties, seventies and eighties that dance regularly, and to look at them, you would think they're at least 20 years younger than their actual age.

12. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

When I am dancing, there is a level of integration in awareness of the body, mind, and spirit that brings me into a deeper relationship with myself, one which is more at ease and open. It has allowed a greater connection with life and with others that is more grounded, and allows me to let go of things and just be myself in the moment; the freedom which allows a real sense of joy and appreciations of things then comes through naturally. It's amazing how once I am able to just be in the present there is a certain lightness to my spirit, one that is more positive and a bit more at peace :)

13. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

All of the above, plus it increases flexibily and is a GREAT stress outlet!

14. DanceMentor

Absolutely beautiful!
    I especially like the part about bing in the moment. No matter what your problems might be, dancing can help to give you some relief by getting your mind on dancing. And it is a healthy way to do that.

15. pygmalion

How about performance/show-off opportunities for us extroverts? And safe places to meet nice people for introverts?

16. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Can't forget us "attention freaks" :lol:

17. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

For me, dancing is a wonderful release. I forget about everything else and can get "out of my head" ... I am somewhat of an over-analyzer and get stuck in my thoughts too often. Dancing helps get me back in my body. It's a rare event for me -- damn brain. ;-)

Though I will say that if I'm with a partner who I am having trouble following, or who is too rough, etc., the above does NOT apply -- then I'm stuck in my head thinking "GET ME OUTTA HERE"!

Melissa

18. msc

msc New Member

Dancing can seriously tone your legs and abs. Big time.

19. pygmalion

Amen to the abs and legs thing. Amazing, isn't it? It's like total flab turned to muscle while I wasn't looking. While I was just having fun. Cool. 8) :D

20. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

... I need to dance more! ;)