General Dance Discussion > Benefits of Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Apr 1, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Dancing doesn't necessarily make a person lose weight. It does burn a lot of calories, but you can compensate for that by eating a lot. :shock: But boy oh boy, did I find muscles developing underneath my layer of girlie fat. Getting buff, in spite of my potato chip habit! :lol: Not bad, huh? :D

2. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Entirely agree. Dancing is just this release of everything I'm feeling...good, bad or otherwise. When I dance, I can't think about anything else and that is a good thing! It's a secret vacation to a far off place that no one or nothing can take away.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

4. johnnywalker

johnnywalker New Member

Just wanted to share some of the positive things I have gained from taking up dancing. These things have changed my life in many ways and probably my attitude as well.

- I met the lady who would be my wife
    - I met the most wonderful group of people who I now call friends
    - I'm healthier (although I could still work on that one)
    - My social life is really good
    - I overcame my procrastinating ways
    - I have met other people who, although not close friends, have imparted some positive aspect through compliments, philosophies etc.
    - My sense of rhythm has improved.
    - I've learnt latin motion which was a bonus when I was single :D
    - I found a forum where I don't get flamed on every post and everyone is friendly

Hope this doesn't come across as being too sickeningly sweet or too sensitive new age. It's just an expression of how I feel.

So what has dancing done for you?

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Not at all! My experience has been similar -- I've met some wonderful people, my social life has improved greatly, and I'm not only fitter and healthier but also happier. I feel younger, at ease with myself and am more confident and outgoing.
    And, of course,
    Love ya all, guys! :D :D :D

6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I've met some nice people, have learned a fun, healthy new hobby(and profession) and feel good about helping to spread the word of latin dance in a culture which is traditionally known for it's shyness & reserve.

7. D-spot

D-spot Member

Dancing is good for the sole and the soul.
    D-spot

8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Thanks for sharing JW. Love does make soppy characters out of men :wink: Borrowing Boriken's term "Lady Love", I am glad that dancing helped you to find her. :D What is your wedding dance going to be?

9. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Uh--y-y-ya get t' touch girls....uh huh uh huh uh huh! :mrgreen:

10. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

For me...

1. I'm reconnecting with something I love. I used to LOVE to dance (ballet and jazz and freestyle) and had not danced in years (except techno).
    2. I'm meeting INTERESTING people.
    3. I'm learning something new (which is a craving of mine).

4. And most importantly...I'm getting KILLER legs. ;)

April

11. johnnywalker

johnnywalker New Member

You know, i'd have killer legs too...if only i'd shave them :D ...okay, so I lie. Perhaps we could all post pictures of our legs and then everyone can give them ratings.

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

...why not send all the leg pics to DanceMentor so that we can post them, anonymously, and then we'll have a guessing game as to whose legs are whose? :lol:

13. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I take it that you are talking about touching in a completey respectable manner young man!? :mrgreen:

14. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Depends on the lady, madame. Whether respectable or not, I should like such touching to be at least...cosmopolitan. :wink:

15. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I can always count on you for a giggle to start my day off GR :D Thanks 8)

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

For me quite plain and simple; it has provided a great social and recreational outlet. This is all I ever asked for with my dancing. 8)

17. johnnywalker

johnnywalker New Member

Sorry, i've not worded that well. We were actually married last year. Our wedding dance was a mixture of songs and dance styles because my wife and I wanted a representation of our individual tastes. I mixed snippets of a few songs and sound loops in Sound Forge and Cooledit. We ended up with a sound file from 2001: A Space Oddysey followed by Magic Carpet Ride, Basement Jaxx 'Do Your Thing' and finally Etta James 'At Last.'
    The dances went from Hip Hop to a very short Mambo, Cha Cha, Jive and ended with a Waltz (with a dip in the end and a kiss).
    We had a great time putting it together but was a little nervous when it came to the performance. I'm glad to say it went well.

18. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

For me the benefits of dancing are ... :wink:

I get out of my HEAD and into my BODY. This is VERY hard for me and by golly, when I'm dancing, I feel liberated.

It's a workout -- but I get to look and feel sexy, PLUS get lots of male attention -- what could be better?

I get to wear stretchy sexy outfits I wouldn't wear otherwise!

I feel truly inspired by so much of the music. I listen to so much Latin music at home, it's a joke among my friends that if they come over it's like "world music" night.

When else can you flirt with your hips?

Melissa

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Yes...dressing up... Am I a metrosexual :oops: Is it a good thing? :? :)

Yes...to the workout

And I'll agree with GR, I think, and talk of touch on a serious level. In American society a lot of people are starved from the lack of touching. Teachers cannot touch their pupils...I could go on and on. Dancing is one social acceptable means where one can touch. There is touching and touching, of course. One person whom I danced with was very comfortable getting as close as one could get. I'm talking of full body contact here, with grinding in merengue. She went here of her accord!! I swear! :wink: :) And before anyone says anything she is a single mom with children and there are no untoward intentions on anyones' part. She suddenly felt like dancing after a long absence and went all out.

20. dancingdragon

dancingdragon New Member

Me too! I'd come to a town which is notoriously "cliquey" and insular, and I'd been struggling to make friends - a novel and unpleasant experience for me. But when I started dancing, the people in the studio were so friendly and welcoming, my circle of friends and my social life has really taken off and I'm happier and healthier on so many levels. It gets me out of the house and away from the TV/computer/sofa etc. Whenever anyone asks me about dancing, my enthusiasm is boundless because it's made such a difference in my life here. I can't rave about it enough. :oops: I guess dancing people are nice people - DFites especially! :kissme: