General Dance Discussion > Benefits of Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Apr 1, 2003.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yeah, I like to wear sexy, stretchy stuff, and I wear it all the time. When dancing is the only time I don't get stared at or whistled at, which is nice.

Sagitta, I may be naive, but what is "metrosexual"? Is it a person who has sex on the metro?

:oops: clueless...................

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

P.S. Sagitta-
    Is America a society where teachers really can't touch their pupils? I teach at 3 colleges here, and I whack my students over the head with my dictionary from time to time...

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

In all seriousness in many school districts you are forbidden to touch your pupils. I definitely know that this is a fact in the NYC public schools as I have teacher friends there. All this stems from this nonsense of sexual molestation etc etc. I think that things get carried a littel too far sometimes.

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Lets be careful with our word choices here. Sexual molestation is a heinous act in the extreme, and I'm actually shocked that you would use the word nonsense in conjunction with this topic. Does our society go over the top with rules and regulations? Sure it does. But the fault lies with the overly litigious nature of American society and not with anything directly related to the (appropriately) criminal act of sexual molestation.

5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I read Sagitta's message to say that some people wrongly accuse others of molestation(i.e. sexual harrassment), thus he used the word "nonsense". Nonetheless, molestation is indeed a heinous crime. Over here, police officers, politicians and middle school teachers get a weak reprimandation for molesting someone, then they go back to being their own lewd selves again!

6. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Well, I understand what Sagitta is getting at--we've subjected many forms of normal human interaction to such regulation and scrutiny in this country that it's nice to come to a free space where touch can happen as part of a genuine human connection.

My students touch me and even flirt with me all the time--but that's a bit unusual at a university. For some reason, women seem to find me safe. Grrr. :roll:

7. KevinL

KevinL New Member

Me too. Sucks doesn't it?

8. Genesius Redux

Uh huh. Brother. Best friend. Father-Confessor. The one they call at 2 am because you're enough of a sucker to show up.

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Been there . . . done that! I learned lessons from such experiences!

The hard part of being a 2 am 'good guy' is knowing when not to take advantage of the situation. Some women are very vulnerable at this time . . . just had a fight with their SO . . . or just broke up with one . . . their So just cheated on them . . . and they are hurting and possibly out for revenge.

This is not a time to pacify your own urges . . . remember to be 'the man' that they called for.

10. Sagitta

My apologies for any misunderstanding. When using the word "nonsense" I was only referring to the litigious nature of American society and removing what I and many others would consider the role of touch as part normal human interaction.

11. Genesius Redux

Tell me about it, man. So what you wind up doing is--"I'm not going to take advantage of you, you're vulnerable, you really need a friend," and you wait like the decent guy for them to pull it together.

And in the meantime, some other smarmy operating jerk slithers in and takes advantage, and you wind up getting called once more at 2 am....

You're lucky to be married, Vince. It ain't worth it out there:

"The best lack all conviction,
    While the worst are full of passionate intensity."

12. Sagitta

I used to get it all the time as an RA and then a graduate student TA. Those 2 a.m. calls have become rare now. :)

13. Genesius Redux

Try hanging out with actresses. Or, for that matter, dancers. Ah, the drama! :roll:

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

This I certainly agree with Sagitta.

And as for the whole being "safe" thing... add me to the list... :x

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Well, it seems to me, that if any of you ladies are out there looking . . . I must say that we have a few "real good men here on the DF" . . . and at least three of them are in these most recent posts. Of course, the best one is already taken, and besides, he's not one of the three :wink:

FancyFeet likes this.
  16. Genesius Redux

Not planning to go Mormon, are ya, Vince? :wink:

17. Jamal

Jamal New Member

Hey guys, what are some of the benefits you see from dancing?

Does it make you more happy? More sociable? More fit? On a personal, physical, and emotional level, how does dancing affect you?

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yes...to all of that

19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

It makes me think less (and just feel), trust (to follow) and be patient (again, to follow).

Plus, I'm loving what it's doing to my muscle definition! Hooray for dancer's legs!