Tango Argentino > Berlin Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Someday, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Someday

Someday Member

2. itwillhappen

itwillhappen Active Member

opendoor likes this.
  3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  4. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

I wanted to try Tangoloft, but couldn't find it just from the address. So if you go there, make sure you know where it is before hand.

Nou Mitte was really nice, a bit crowded, lots of great dancers who respond to cabeceo well.

5. jantango

jantango Active Member

Another source of information for Berlin is www.hoy-milonga.com/berlin which includes a description of each milonga on the information page. Hoy-milonga began about five years ago in Buenos Aires and has expanded to include New York City and Berlin. Next city will be ?

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

7. Xenophon

Xenophon Member

Don't know if Tom had the same difficulty I did, but even having the address, hearing tango music wafting down from above, and being able to look up and see the dancers, it still took me about fifteen minutes to find the entrance to the stairs for TangoLoft. In the dark, it's not at all obvious to first-time visitors. But worth persevering!

8. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

I couldn't hear the music, unfortunately. And to me, the stairs up to the milonga looked the same as stairs to private residences. In retrospect, I wish I'd have just risked walking into some poor guy's apartment for the chance to dance!

Mladenac likes this.
  9. Amapura

Amapura New Member

I will be in Berlin for 3 weeks in September and I would like to take some tango group classes. Do you think it is possible without a partner and what school do you recommend ? Also, is there a map with all the locations of the milongas ?
    Thank you !

10. Someday

Someday Member

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the following image, but it has a lot of locations. So, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.
    http://embrace-berlin.de/locations.html

My suggestion is to search on 'berlin tango' and there are a few websites (some mentioned in previous posts) and find out what is going on when you are visiting. Put those locations in your favorite map application (google and maps.me are mine). For those you know you will want to visit figure out your transport. The subways are really good and you can find out more here (and download apps that will figure out your route): https://www.berlin.de/en/public-transportation/1742343-2913840-underground-subway.en.html

Remember that the subway may (or may not) be running when you want to depart if you are sticking around for a milonga. In that case have a taxi or uber app already configured and ready to go.

One of the important factors is where you are staying since it determines your transit time. I highly suggest you do some planning in advance since the regular schedule of classes are fixed.

And, as some folks have pointed out, it's really true that some locations are difficult (or impossible depending on your patience level) to find. If you really want to ensure success, you might want to drop an email to the organizer of your class asking specifically if the classes will be happening when you are there and also if there happen to be any challenges in locating the event (such as being on the fifth floor and going in an unmarked door and up an unlighted hallway :)

11. Amapura

Amapura New Member

Thank you, that map is really useful. I see that most milongas are either in Prenzlauer Berg or in Schoneberg, tough choice to choose one of these two areas for accommodation.

12. Huiyu

Huiyu New Member

Hi I would recommand you to search a person called "Pedram Shahyar Tango" on Facebook, or join the group "Wo tanzt Du heute Abend Tango in Berlin". Pedram is a great teacher and organizer. His "Popular Milonga" on Monday is absolute a "muss" for people who want to experience Tango in Berlin. I only know for workshops in his school is ok for people just drop in, but not sure about group classes. Or you can just ask advice in the group for advice.

opendoor likes this.
  13. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

I can still vividly remember overhearing a lady complaining to her friend (after the end of the milonga) that I'd been staring at her for all evening without ever inviting her <rolls eyes; slaps forehead>. Every time I looked, she turned away instantly (although without the "I'll just stare right through you or s-l-o-w-l-y nod NO", which prompted me to try again later a couple of times).

Hasn't it become better? Seemed to work better at Villa Kreuzberg than in the TangoLoft.

opendoor likes this.