General Dance Discussion > Best and worst comment about your dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by blue, Nov 8, 2004.

1. blue

blue New Member

What is the best and worst comment about your dancing you ever recieved - from a partner, someone watching, whooever? In words, or in other ways. I am not sure if there is another thread on this theme somewhere, I can't remember it though.

My best ones are a draw between two guys I danced with. The first is the male teacher in one of the very first lindy lessons I took. It was a small class, he danced with everybody. When we had taken our first few steps together he made a short exclamation - a word that usually expresses surprise. He seemed pleased. My aikido has taught me to move with my feet under my body and to not unnecessarily go by myself... to "jump yourself" is pretty much the worst thing you can do in aikido, and in my line of aikido you also learn to be sensitive to small leads. I guess that because of my background I grasped these things while some of the others were still just thinking about their steps, and not really partner dancing. He is just a kid in my eyes, but I always get happy when I see him as he was the first one to give my self confidence in dancing a real boost. Others might have said "good" but I never believe them as much as I believed him, because he was not deliberately trying to tell me anything.

The second one is a guy who asked me to dance bugg (swedish jitterbug remnant, "swedish jive"), during a social event at the place where I take classes. I told him I can't do bugg, but I do lindy - if it was OK for him to cheat a little bit we could give it a try. Bugg doesn't have a lot of footwork, and I discovered there is a backstep similar to the one in lindy. It worked amazingly well. The guy asked me if I compete in lindy! After having danced for six months, I took it as a very fine compliment.

The worst comment - oh my. It was my first beginner course at this dance camp, and I asked this guy to dance. I could not follow him at all, did not understand what he was doing. After a while I commented on that. It was pretty awful. Then it dawned on me - he was doing sixcounts. I said "Oh, you're doing sixcounts" and he said "sure, only sixcounts". By then we had done some sixcounts in class, but I could not really switch back and forth between six- and eight counts. Then he switched to eight count basics - just the basic step, nothing else, for the rest of the song. He then dumped me off in a corner with the words "now you got some practise". I was stunned. He made me feel extremely stupid and small. Well, he made sure not to be asked by this beginner again - not ever.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

This is for latin dancing. I really cannot pick any one.

You are a natural.
    You are not latino? :shock:
    You are smooth.
    You have been dancing for how long? :shock:
    Holding onto my hands after one song as if she does not want to let go.

I guess my favourite is: Dancing song after song not realizing that time is passing us by until a merengue break came on! :oops: What better compliment than dancing as three in one, the trinity of dancing from the soul? To trust, to open one's soul and immerse in the river of love and passion. Whether it be raging rapids or a gentle stream.

Perhaps a better, more conventional one is the teacher whom I help joining me in playing with cha cha after class while we played music for people to practice to. This happened tonight! :banana: I just started dancing and the entire class, including the teach, joined me in doing cha cha! That's my dance. :D

I have no idea what the worst thing said to me has been. I promptly do my best to forget it. However, recently one lady told me that I am not dancing tango but salsa to tango. :oops: Whatever!

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

The worst thing ever said to me, was by someone who was training me at the beginning of my career.

He wanted to do a routine with me, so to save time we did the routine he had for one of his students. The bad thing was he had been dancing it for over a year. I was trying to learn the routine the same day the routine had to be danced. Anyway I was pretty mental by the time we were getting to the end of the routine, and then the lift came. I had never done a lift. But he just grabbed me and hoisted me up. Of course I had no idea what to do and he put me down immediately, turned to me and said "Woah, you are a f@#ing deadweight.

I wanted to cry, in fact I am pretty sure I did. Of course anyone saying something like that to me today would have been met with an equally insulting remark such as..."well your my teacher, I guess you are not doing a very good job...!"

4. Laura

Laura New Member

A man in one of my group classes, who is the father of one of the most naturally gifted dancers I've seen, said to me once "you have dancing charisma in your blood. It oozes out of your pores."

The worst thing that anyone ever said to me was during a tryout. After telling the guy I hadn't danced in a week and asking for a warm-up period before we got serious, the first thing he did after we took a prep step and ONE step of a feather was "can I make some comments." I turned to him and said "No. It's hardly fair of you to start commenting on my dancing now seeing as we haven't ever danced together before, I haven't danced in a week, and we haven't even warmed up yet."

It is one of my goals to beat this guy in competition if he ever actually gets a partnership together enough to actually get out on the floor.

5. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I have been told that I will follow a lead anywhere, and just recently from my WCS routine I was told that I was slinky like a cat.

Worst was about six months ago in my first exam I was told that my dancing all looked the same. From Tango to Waltz, Foxtrot, etc all had the same attitude. Needless to say that I have worked on this and the same comment was not made in my most recent exam.

6. motardmom

motardmom New Member

The best was just a couple weeks ago (maybe a month?) I was dancing with my instructor in a nightclub and he was teaching me a variation in the basic of a swing. (He calls it double swing?) Anyway, I picked it up really fast and he led me thru everything I/we knew. At the end of this really great, fun dance, he just stood there with a big grin on his face, slightly winded, and said, "Wow! That was good!" It was more than just the obligatory "good job" kind of "good." It was heartfelt, like he really meant that he had a good time too. I felt like a million bucks! :D

I don't really have a "worst" story to tell. Other than I have one guy that I dance with fairly regularly that I really don't like dancing with because of his general demeanor when we dance. We don't connect and I don't think he realizes it (how can you not? But I don't think he gets it.) Anyway, it seems like partway thru the dance, after I've missed a bunch of his leads and have stopped grinning (not stopped smiling... just not having a ton of fun anymore) he starts watching over my shoulder and just being generally spacey. I totally take that as an insult, whether he means it that way or not. Like I'm not good/fun enough to pay attention to. I honestly feel like if he would pay more attention to me, I could follow his lead better. Eye contact really seems to make a difference for me. It's really bizarre because off of the dance floor, I really like him. He's a nice guy and we get along fine. He looks at me when I talk and he is interactive - I don't loose his attention in a social situation. But on the dance floor, his mind is gone and it drives me nuts. I keep hoping that he will notice how much better I dance with other people than with him and get a clue that it may not be me. He's made a few comments/attempts at teaching me, that lead me to believe that he thinks that my dropping leads is totally my fault. Hey, I'll take some responsibility, but not all of it.

7. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I tend to take all nice comments with a pinch of salt -- I always wonder if the person genuinely means what they say, is trying to be kind and encouraging, doesn't know better (I get nice comments from beginners/non-dancers watching me dance) or is just trying to chat me up. I know I'm such a cynic!

Having said that, I do remember nice comments and try to be a dancer who deserves them. I don't remember bad comments. I'm sure I've received them, but I don't dwell on them. When the leader gives me a comment on my dancing in the form of advice, I take it at face value: as advice. Even when it's given in a social dance setting.

I think both the best and worst "comments" I got have been non-verbal. The worst is when I can see that the leader obviously isn't enjoying the dance with me -- impression confirmed when he leaves me quickly at the end of a song with a cold look on his face, with (or without) a curt "thank you". That's more eloquent than any verbal comment someone can give about my follow skills. On the other hand, there have been leaders who gave me a big smile and a squeeze at the end of the song and then kept coming back to me for more dances. That to me is the best compliment I can hope for.

8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Best: You're HOT!

Worst: Do something with that @*#$"! hair!

9. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Interesting topic here, ahhh let's see:

BEST THINGS SAID TO ME: :D :wink:

You're a very expressive dancer
    You have a very strong lead, I LIKE THAT!!
    (said during a Hustle), WOW, Nice pickup!!!
    How did you come up with that (in response to a move created on the fly during swing)
    You are VERY creative!
    You really know how to show off a lady! :D
    You're a good spinner (said during a Foxtrot of all things) :)
    You look like you're really enjoying yourself out there!

IN BETWEEN:

When I was first learning Cha-Cha, my teacher said, after I fudged a triple-step, "Phil you may have cheated a little there but you ALWAYS land on the right spot" :)

WORST THINGS:

Your lead is too strong for me! :shock:

Your lead style is not compatible with me :?

I'll probably remember more later in both categories.

10. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Worst: In a lesson with the reigning World Champion at the time - he danced a feather with me, stopped, and asked "Elizabeth, have you ever danced in mud?" "No..." I replied. He said, "Well, I have ... now" :shock: (In fairness to him, my partner had been a no-show due to serious illness, so I was unexpectedly getting a pro-am lesson, which this coach normally didn't do. So I was imposing on him. But still!)

Not sure about best comment, but I've got one that I can probably characterize as "best intended insulting comment": Standing in line to go on the dance floor, the lady in front of me turned to me and said, "I always love watching your smile when you dance. It reminds me of the way my dog looks when he hangs his head out the window in the car." :roll:

11. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I hope you never took a lesson from him again!!!

12. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Best Thing:
    Wow, how do you move your hips like that?

Actually, Best and Worse Thing:
    I'm not dancing with you, you're too good for me...

My answer: Compared to what? My dancing is not nearly where it should be. :?

13. Sagitta

I have heard both!! The "you're too good for me" line annoys the heck out of me. I'm asking you to dance. You want to dance or not? And quit whining constantly about how you don't really know how to dance and how good I am if I agree to dance with you. You tell me once and I have got it. I'm not thick so I need to be told 100 times and be distracted throughout the song. :headwall:

14. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yes, it is quite annoying, Sagitta. Totally agree. :?

15. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Especially from an instructor. I realize they have to be encouraging but how do you know if he/she just wants you to keep paying for more lessons?

16. sunderi

sunderi New Member

I get a lot of positive comments from new people -- they mean well, but it doesn't mean much to me.

As far as REAL compliments go, it would be a tie. The first would be from my current instructor. I was having a rough lesson where I couldn't GET what we were working on, and I was frustrated. I made some joke like, "I'd better shape up or you're going to fire me!" and he just said, "No, I love to dance with you". I take that with a grain of salt, because he's PAID to dance with me, but I still consider it a compliment. The second would be one time when I was out dancing at a club and a guy who had been watching me dance walks up and says, "Wow. I never would have thought that someone who looks like YOU would be able to dance like THAT." ;) It was said with appreciation, not cruelty. :) I think mostly it was a remark on the fact that a short, round, white girl with long blond hair can salsa in a salsa club. ;)

The worst thing was something said by my old instructor. I was having a really hard time with my dancing, going through one of those discouraging rough patches where you just can't remember why this used to be fun, and you can't get anything right no matter how hard you try. :cry: (Anyone have THAT experience before?) After a particularly bad lesson, where I just felt like I couldn't get anything right, I said to him, "I just don't know if I should keep doing this" and he responded with, "Frankly, it doesn't matter to me whether or not you ever come back." That's why he's my OLD instructor. ;)

Oh! And another positive one -- at our studio, instructors ask students at their first event to pick someone out, while they're watching, that they would like to emulate -- someone that inspires them in their dancing. I've had 2 different instructors tell me that their students have chosen ME . . . even over *pros*. Although, again, those are comments from beginners, it still feels really good. :D

17. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Worst:
    I don't remember worst comment -- Maybe I dance with incredibly polite leads? ;-)

Best:
    Damn, you have flava!
    (keep in mind that I dance in clubs, not in ballrooms/competitions)

LOL!
    Melissa

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Worst:
    "Um, I guess I didn't attend that class!" - after doing a perfectly leadable 32ct move that utilized all basic moves and ended up in a pose-for-the-audience dip. I think she was just pi**ed off because I didn't put any vanillas in for her to regroup???

"Your lead is too light, I couldn't follow you!" - right after dancing (the same day) with a certain female World Champion who commented on my having "such a very wonderful light lead." I had taken privates with her over ten years ago . . .

Best:
    With a smile and a wink - "Got a cigarette?"

19. Sagitta

Being seen through the eyes of the innocent? Heard of the saying seeing through the eyes of children or some variant therof? Sometimes those whose minds aren't confused with all this "baggage" can see what others don't. :wink: :)

20. aimerrouge

aimerrouge New Member

Best:
    "You are Latina?" - Latino dance partners
    "You’re moves are sexy. I like your style." - Other women say this to me a lot.
    “I’m so proud of the progress you’ve made.” – My instructor.
    “Wow, look at you!” from the local “superstars” who’ve unbeknownst to me have been watching me progress. 8)
    With a smile and feigned modesty - "You need to stop that...” :wink:

Worst:
    I was dancing with a very good intermediate lead. In the MIDDLE of the song, he looks over my shoulder and says “I have to dance with my friend NOW” and he left me on the floor to go dance with her. The friend in question was a better dancer than me (of course). I was so stunned and insulted I couldn’t react. I stood on the floor for what seemed an eternity before I walked off.

I’ve never forgotten that feeling and though I’m not the greatest dancer, I make it a point to be polite to whomever I dance with.