General Dance Discussion > Best and worst comment about your dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by blue, Nov 8, 2004.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah , if you think the oldest, most tired lines in the book is a "good comment!"

2. Kali Ma

Kali Ma New Member

I was told this by someone this past weekend: "You are an inspiration to dance with; every time we dance, I find myself trying things I didn't even know I could do...and the best part is, they work!". I was also told that I was the highlight of someone's evening, but I don't know if that was dance-specific or not.

Worst thing, hmm...I suppose I should be able to recall something specific, but I think I've had more sort of reactions/actions than actual words. I do recall dancing with a guy as a beginner who would always point at my right foot and raise his eyebrows right up into his hairline to indicate "here we step back with the right!" when I'd wind up on the 'wrong' foot coming out of a turn. He still did that two years later, long after I'd gained experience enough to realise that his timing on turns was faulty, not mine. :rolleyes:

3. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

I've heard it all....

Feel-good comments:
    "You're a great lead!"
    "You look fantastic out there!"
    "Damn, you're good!"
    "Wow, I LOVE dancing with you."
    "I love to watch you dance!"

Feel-bad comments:
    "Two-three-four! Two-three-four! There, now you've got it!"
    "Ummm, how come I can't tell which beat you're on?"
    "I can't believe you dance here. You're such an amateur! If you come back here again I'm going to f#@$ing kill you!" (...long story on that one ;)...)

Interesting comments:
    "Good for you!"
    "Wow, you've sure improved!"
    "You're good for never having taken private lessons before..."

4. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Best:
    "That's it? It's dissapointing to see students like you dancing only those figures. I would like to see you doing spins and pivots!"
    -this is the most recent one. It made me feel so good for so long!
    "Your feet are great. I really don't want to change anything to them."
    "How long have you been dancing?" "..." "That's it?"

Worst:
    "That's your ab, your hip is much lower!"
    "What was that? I don't think I know that step."

Good & Bad:
    "You are such a natural dancer."

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Just heard a very good comment yesterday from a very newbie guy that must be around my age or a little older. He asked me for many dances, seeing as I'm pretty open to dancing with newbies and try not to make them awkward. I find them cute and generally feel a teachery sort of protectiveness around them. First dance he asked me was a rumba, and he said to me at some point: "You dance so gracefully. Really beautiful." I was, like, :shock:, are you talkin' to me? I said something of the sort (I'm a difficult person to compliment: most of the times I take it as common courtesy) and he sort of laughed awkwardly and said "no really, you are amazing". I didn't know what to say to that. Then he turned me and I did an unconscious arm styling thingy and he said "now that's what I was talking about. So graceful.". :D
    So chances are that he's either got a little bit of a crush on me :oops: and thinks I'm oh so great because of that, or he's just awed because he hasn't seen many dancers - he's taken around 5 lessons so far. I'm thinking it's the second one. He was looking at me sort of awed. Twas awkward and yet flattering.

Twilight Elena

6. jhpark

jhpark Member

Hun, the crush probably comes from your good dancing. Don't underestimate the power of a good dancer!

7. Twilight_Elena

I agree. It's pretty possible. After all, ballroom is such a show thing. :D

Twilight Elena

8. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

"You're crap. Don't come back."

I've tried really hard to believe that I misheard the guy. Really, really hard.

9. alemana

alemana New Member

what planet is this ******* from, NoClueLandia?

10. Twilight_Elena

Okay, remeber that guy? He hit on me yesterday. Asked me out. gosh darnit!! I hate it when that happens! :headwall: I was just being nice and teachery and helpful to a newbie!

Twilight Elena

11. Becca

Becca Active Member

I had my best comment a few days ago. A newbie dancer who has just joined my school was watching a large group of us dancing. And she said to me - 'I wish I could dance like you, you're brilliant.' - that's all I've ever wanted to hear anybody say. It makes me feel that all the work I have put in has been worthwhile. :)

12. PheonixinFlight

PheonixinFlight New Member

The worst anyones said to me is, "What are you boxing?" :0
    "stunned silence"
    That was awhile ago...
    Now i just get soft comments on what i do.

13. PheonixinFlight

PheonixinFlight New Member

Nobody's in awe of me but no one really has anything bad to say either.

14. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

Absolute best is tough - but I got two dooseis in one night last weekend!

"Your like a luxury car - powerful, fast, and easy to drive"

Then, when I stole a turn and rolled through real slow-

"Yeah, girl, use that!"

Hmm, they don't sound thrilling now, but my lindy seemed especially good that night so all compliments took on new and grander meaning!

15. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

After my unintentional hiatus, the night I returned to the dance floor, after a particularly enjoyable dance (Rhumba I think), my extremely charming partner said after I told her I'd been away from dancing for 6-months, "I can't believe that!! I never would've known! :D That alone made my night. Same person also says I was so much fun to dance with.

16. Twilight_Elena

Knew you'd be alright, Phil. Sabbaticals are not so bad sometimes. Clear the head.

Twilight Elena

17. Leggie

Leggie New Member

One of my best doesn't really count as such - it was something along the lines of "do you compete?" It would have been great if that person had actually seen me dance, but as it was only over MSN Messenger, it somewhat takes the shine off the remark. Ah well.

Someone mentioned earlier about people saying "you're too good for me" - I agree, that's desperately aggravating. Personally, not being a very outgoing and effusive person in general, after having made the effort to go up and ask someone for a dance, it's somewhat embarrassing and annoying when they excuse themselves for that 'reason'. Especially when that means you end up hardly dancing for the whole evening.

18. Twilight_Elena

Personally, I'm baffled with the whole "too good for you" comment. It makes no sense. If you're a lead and you think a girl is much better than you are, doens't mean you shouldn't dance with her. It's always good to dance with advanced dancers, because you learn from them and have a good time. Likewise, I never hesitate to dnace with advanced leads, as I know I'll be challenged and will learn new things. I love a good dance challenge. Doesn't everyone?

Twilight Elena

19. itorres

itorres New Member

I understand why someone would say that. It could be either just a cover for some other reason or a disclaimer of sorts.

When you're out dancing socially you'll find people with different motivations. If you think about it, there are many things at play when you ask someone to dance.

You will usually dance with a friend no matter what. However, you may dance with a stranger for one or a combination of reasons and that will affect the evaluation of a prospective partner:
    A. Just want to dance and have fun (most anyone will do)
    B. Looking for romance or date (must be attractive to them)
    C. Want to seriously dance or practice (has to be good enough for you)

"You're too good for me" could be just a cover for some other reason: waiting to dance for someone in particular, my SO will not like it, waiting for someone cuter :) .

It can also be sort of a defense mechanism and, instead of a flat out no, it could a disclaimer of sorts. It could mean "I'll dance because I want to have fun (or I like you), but I warned you in case you're expecting Mr/Ms Hot Dancer." or "I'll dance but please tell me you'll take it easy on me. I don't want to be embarrased :oops: in front of all these people." Often that person is just hoping to hear "Ah, don't worry about it" or "I'll take it easy on you" :)

Well, a good time is not always guaranteed, and not everyone deals well with rejection.

I've seen guys ask girls to dance and after a minute on the floor seen her whisper something in his ear and just walk off. I have seen guys ask a girl to dance (she was an "instructor" and compettitive dancer, he didn't know) and she looked him over like thinking "Are you sure? Do you know who I am?" That didn't look good. I have seen girls dancing with someone not as good and at the same time rolling her eyes and making fun with her friends on the sideline. There are some dance "snobs" that will only dance with their "skill equals".

Not all locations/dance circles are the same. At some venues people will just dance with anyone for fun or just out of courtesy, and everyone feels safe.

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

There is the possibility of being intimidated and thinking that the better dancer may not enjoy him/herself as much with you. itorres describes many of the reasons well.