General Dance Discussion > Best and worst comment about your dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by blue, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jhpark

jhpark Member

Bingo!

I got upset by one instructor who, when asked to dance in this manner: "I'm just a beginner but I was hoping you'd dance with me anyway", shook her head and said no.

I swear if I'd run into an instructor who turned me down after I asked like that, i'd have left the dance floor and never come back.

(Yes, yes, instructor has the right to enjoy himself at a dance, but still.)

Of course, given my rate of progress in improving so far, that may have been a relief to the other dancers. :)

2. itorres

itorres New Member

I gather it didn't happen to you, then... that would have been bad.

If she gave no sort of valid reason, not only is she being rude but very stupid. :mad: If she's a teacher and wants business, she's got to network and do some "marketing". She has to be seen dancing (well), be seen as a nice person with whom students can feel comfortable. :roll: That's how she can attract people. I guess that attitude on her part deserves she be bad-mouthed all over the club, city, state, country, web...

3. eyesofire49

eyesofire49 New Member

Best comment I ever had...My first instructor (Scott is his name...may he rest in peace :( :) ) "You pick things up very quickly and have great natural instincts for dancing. Don't lose that." Still makes me feel great even to this day...

Worst comment - I was at a dance party 3 years ago. Was just learning Samba but for some reason, I worked up the nerve to ask one of the guys in my class to dance it with me anyway....practice makes perfect, right? :) Not in this case. I was told that he doesn't "dance with people who'd make a lead footed mule look graceful" He and his buddies apparantly found that quite funny...but at the time, it made me feel about *this* big. Not anymore - I got more "bounce" to my Samba ounce and I don't let people like him get me down. :) *LOL*

4. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Had a funny comment a couple of days ago, from som none-dancing friends. I was standing in the living room, and was turning around to go out to the kitchten, so I did a simple slow 'spin', just turning around on my foot really. And from the sofa came the comment "Hey, Michael Jackson!". That's non-dancers for you. :lol:

5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Had a cute young latino tell me I was a great dancer the other night at a salsa party- major ego boost! Also had some positive comments on my abs(those sit-ups are paying off!)

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

;) Worst:
    'you're like a metronome'

because I hum along to the music (and it was Di Sarli!);) ;) ;)

7. redbeard6

redbeard6 New Member

At a workshop over the weekend Luciana Valle pulled me out of a circle of students to lead her in a Tango dance step she was teaching. As I led her, I anticipated what she was about to say and led her to the next two steps. After, she pulled me to the side and said.."that was very good." And That...made my YEAR!

8. alemana

alemana New Member

at a non-dancer venue yesterday, i picked out a leader who clearly knew the salsa deal and requested a dance. immediate reponse, "whoa, are you cuban? you're a real salsa dancer."

hear that, people? I'M REAL. REAL REAL REAL!!!!

9. WRhythm

WRhythm New Member

I was taking an Intro to Social Dance class for phys ed credit--which seemed like a good idea since I compete--but sure enough one session I ended up working with a boy who could not stop picking on every single thing I did saying that it wasn't exactly how the instructors were doing it. Afterwards he gave me a gentle pat on the shoulder and said, "don't worry, this doesn't come easily to everyone." It was totally weird, for the rest of the afternoon everything that my partner/coach/judges had ever said to me got crammed into my subconscious so that my conscience could dwell on this random boy's opinion.

10. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

You'd think that if an "instructor" was at all serious about their craft, or at all serious about staying employed (assuming that was their day job), that they'd never turn down such an opportunity! What better way to instruct, and what better way than to demonstrate than by actually dancing with a student (or potential student)?!

Granted, some instructors might just want to go a dance to dance, but if so, maybe they shouldn't expect to find all that many dancers at their calibur. It's lonely at the top sometimes.

11. alemana

alemana New Member

disagree. there are plenty of reasons an instructor would decline a dance.

12. Linedancer

Linedancer New Member

Best was when a lady came up and said, after we just finished doing a dance, "You dance it exactly like the choreographer wants it danced." I was a happy camper after that.

13. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

My teacher suggested I practice on my own. I feel like I'm in the big league! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Twilight Elena

14. Quimbly

Quimbly New Member

Any teacher who got the reputation of turning down dance invitations, especially beginners, and especially if their students were there, wouldn't get many students....at least not where I come from.

15. chandra

chandra New Member

HAHA, my instructor certainly doesnt... As a result I end up waiting in line after 20 girls to dance with him... Im like "hey!"