Ballroom Dance > Best cities for employment for dance instructor

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mop6686, Jun 25, 2016.

1. mop6686

mop6686 Member

I want to move from my dead end town and join a studio in an area with a larger ballroom presence.

What are the best places? I have primarily been looking at Florida and the west coast.

Thanks!

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Boston, studio on every corner and more students than all of the studios can handle.

TakeTwo, MaggieMoves and nikkitta like this.
  3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

seriously, you can't spit without hitting a dance studio around there.

TakeTwo likes this.
  4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Indie or Chain ?..
    There are a ton of indies in Fla. but, not always any openings for teachers. Also, depends upon your dance knowledge/style/ level that you teach. If Intern. I can guide you into a couple of towns in Fla. that may be an option .

5. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Washington/ Baltimore area is good. But be prepared: the competition is tough.

6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Lots of independents in the NYC area as well... but there is strong competition. Someone else mentioned Boston, and they're right as well. The northeast part of the USA seems to be where most of the students are.

There are also pretty big markets for students in the SF bay area and in socal.

Lots of chains in Florida if you want to go that route.

7. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I saw that when I was up there last weekend for a business trip. Ran into a very well run Latin workshop when I was there.

8. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

In a larger city there are always more opportunities and if the economy in that city is pretty good then most likely you will find a studio that is hiring. Here in greatet Los Angeles it is difficult to count how many we have here. They don't all pop up on a Google search but there must be at least a hundred, and probably a good deal more than that.

9. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you've thought about it from this angle, but you also may want to put some thought into what niche of the ballroom industry (if any) you'd like to make your focus for teaching. My coach may be atypical in this regard, but he doesn't teach social ballroom or wedding couples; he doesn't care about talent or goals per se, but he will only take students who want to be trained like ballroom competitors. Maybe this isn't the niche for you (heck, maybe you're the opposite and you'd really like to focus on social dancers, new students, wedding couples or some other subsegment entirely). That also may be something to think about only down the road when you're working as an independent instructor, since you did ask about employment and you might mean that in the sense of being a studio employee.

10. Larinda McRaven

everyone starts with wedding couples.

MaggieMoves, stash and RiseNFall like this.
  11. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Almost everyone. My current coach has only taught one wedding couple ever, and it was only as a favor to the first student he ever taught. But he was also a US Amateur finalist before he started teaching, so his situation is likely quite different from the OP's.

But I also think there's something to be said for strategically *not* starting with wedding couples as an instructor - they have a particular time bound in mind when they start dancing, so I imagine their retention rate (and therefore Net Present Value to the instructor) is far lower than it is for students who start because they want to learn to dance as a potentially ongoing hobby.

12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Of course, until someone is fairly established as an instructor, chances are they're going to be working for someone else and will take the couples they're assigned. Which are likely to include wedding couples and couples on LivingSocial-type intro specials.

(I'll note, for the record, that my well-established independent pro takes on the occasional wedding couple because she enjoys doing so. I don't want it to sound like I'm down on people teaching not-super-dedicated-long-term students.)

stash likes this.
  13. Larinda McRaven

When my stepson went away to college and lived in his first house we bought him a fridge and freezer full of "college food"to get him started. Hot pockets and crap like that. When he was home for Christmas he ate like a true 19 year old. We asked how full they kept their fridge and he said they didn't have much in the fridge left expect the hot pockets, and that they were hungry. We asked why the hot pockets were left. He said he and his friend didn't like them and wouldn't eat them.

We just laughed and both said in unison. "you get hungry enough... oh yes you will"

stash likes this.
  14. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

Interesting mention. Until recently I wasn't aware these were a big thing, but lately I realized, our studio gets a lot of activity from Groupon... enough to keep new instructors busy.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  15. The Groupon is what got us into the studio. We knew the studio was there, but the Groupon offer was a good deal, and so we bought the deal and went in for the intro lessons.

I'm sure the Groupon or LivingSocial student retention rate is dismal, but in our case, it worked for the studio.