General Dance Discussion > Best Compliment(s) You've Ever Gotten On Your Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. demoiselle

demoiselle Active Member

In a group class the other day, the teacher pointed to me and my husband and said that we had the potential to be good dancers (probably from watching how hard we've been working together). Then he said to me, "But you have a background in dance, right?"

I have no background in dance, except to have been extremely frustrated and uncoordinated and miserable in a kiddie tap and jazz class 20 years ago. So I really appreciated the comment, even though I cannot imagine what he saw to come to the conclusion that I've a dance background.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Natural carriage I suspect

demoiselle likes this.
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my new pro will occasionally mention how much he enjoys dancing with me...I will probably never cease to appreciate and be surprised by that

4. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

same here

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

"You're better than me!" From someone I see a lot at workshops, about how I was able to remember her name when she couldn't think of mine.

bordertangoman likes this.
  6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I had someone at my Nashville studio compare me today to a genuine open-level student who used to dance there. Truth be told, it's not a comparison I really deserve, but for anyone to make it? It was a really, really nice compliment.

cornutt and twnkltoz like this.
  7. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

This past weekend, I danced with someone I hadn't danced with in ages, and she said "I'd almost forgotten how good a dancer you are!"

twnkltoz likes this.
  8. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

"Your natural turn is very good... It was the best step you did in your routine. Everything about it is spot on."

Oh. Wow. Bless you. I hope all your dreams come true.
    I may or may not have done a little jig of happiness when I received that compliment on my natural turn.... So many hours practicing that step

twnkltoz likes this.
  9. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

My pro is very well fit, and lately I've been making him sweat in our lessons. We've both been pushing very hard though lately. Seeing him sweat always makes me smile a bit, like I know I did something right.

I've had a lot of men tell me at our studio during the social nights that I'm a great follower. To be honest, half the times I can barely read some of them and I just go with whatever step there is in the bronze syllabus. :) Still love the social nights though, met my current amateur partner at one of them!

The last am/am competition I did, I received a compliment from one of the pros at one of the evening dinners, asking how long we've been dancing together. Apparently he loved watching the connection we had with each other while competing.

twnkltoz likes this.
  10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I got told this week that my spins are really good, and that it was obvious that I'm a natural at them.... what? I dance mostly standard (where there is no solo spinning), and until about a month ago, my spins in latin were a complete disaster. (I'd either be too slow, or on the music but lose my balance, or travel when it was supposed to be on the spot... and forget about keeping track of my arms!) I just figured out how to spot, like, last week... they've improved, but are far away from being the strongest part of my latin dancing. Dude was obviously crazy :rolleyes:

11. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

One of my students was in my local coach's standard class recently. After the class, coach said of my student, "She was the only follower in class who actually followed. I told so-and-so to play with her. It was great." That's right, because I taught her. Woot!

12. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

Coach, about AP: "He's been working really hard, and it's been for you, not for <his pro> or for me. He dances so much better with you than with either of us."

twnkltoz likes this.
  13. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

This was nice!

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

There's another message board I also post to where I bragged about my recent competition results. One of my friends there responed with this:

15. fascination

I probably shared these before somewhere...but the two compliments that I savor the most were as follows;

1) was from a lady who danced pro/am at wisconsin state....in around 2008 toward the end of my time with my first pro .... she was from Poland and she just adored me...and what she said was; "you dance with your whole soul"
    2) when I had just started with my second pro and was very intimidated about being good enough to dance with him, Mazen Hamza overheard me and said; "you have something money can't buy and I think you will be one of his best students"...I cherish that....as it was a tall order and I tended to only see my failures...but in truth, as my second pro always said "many people would be very happy to dance as badly as you"

those two comments mean everything to me...and I am so grateful that both of them took the time to say it as they may never know how much it sustained me

16. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

This may not have been the best compliment I have ever received about my dancing, but it is right up there at the top in regards to how much it meant to hear it. My pro finished up our lesson the other day and said "that was really pleasant, that whole lesson". It was just nice to hear that he enjoyed our lesson. I told it it was fun for me too! lol

Terpsichorean Clod and twnkltoz like this.
  17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

From Teach: "Ok, now I'm not bored any more."

I have mixed feelings about this, but pretty sure it was a compliment. A big one.

twnkltoz likes this.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I love Mazen! Only had one lesson with him so far, but he coaches my smooth teacher and I plan on booking a lesson with him and/or Isabella anytime they're in town. He's such a character, though I'm a little jealous of your compliments...all I got were a lot of reminders to actually let my weight sit over the middle of my feet (I tend to be overly toe weighted).

19. demoiselle

demoiselle Active Member

Yesterday in one of our Argentine Tango group classes a student (not an absolute beginner, either) asked my husband, after dancing with him, if he was a teacher/pro AT dancer. He was pretty tickled as he's taken only around 40 hours!

20. fascination

thanks...and yea, the best part was that Iwas at a comp...not on a coaching...so I wasn't paying him...he volunteered it

twnkltoz likes this.