General Dance Discussion > Best Compliment(s) You've Ever Gotten On Your Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

"Impeccable frame!" tonight from an instructor I haven't danced with in ages. Probably overstated because I know there's a lot to work on there, but still very nice to hear!

Sania, twnkltoz and demoiselle like this.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Learned this week that an independent pro who sometimes teaches out of the studio I frequent has been telling her male students that if they get good enough, she'll let them try it with me (a figure, a dance, etc.)... so they'd better work hard, or she won't let them. Apparently her students all watch me practice during their lessons (I've never noticed - go dance bubble!), and I've become a motivating factor.

Totally flattering that she thinks I'm that good, and I get the need to give them small goals to work for, but really, I'm happy to try stuff with her students anytime... especially at a party. I don't feel like someone needs to attain some arbitrary level of ability before they can ask me to dance!

3. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

Got two super awesome compliments yesterday! 1. running rounds with my pro, dancing full out - in the middle of our swing, he does a completely different set of steps I don't recall (it was an "apart" section), and i'm all - what was that? Apparently he was so into the dancing that he went straight into his pro routine. flattering! 2. visiting coach (whom i didn't take a coaching with this time) came up after my lessons and said i was becoming a good dancer! apropos of nothing! certainly made me feel better and forget this stupid pinched nerve in my arm for a little.

Sania, dancelvr, SDsalsaguy and 2 others like this.
  4. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

"I'm so glad you're here, I love to watch you dance. Why won't my butt do that?" (yep, I'm taking that as a compliment)

"Do you do this professionally?" (from newbie wedding couple)

Both at last night's practice party.

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Learning a group choreo, and one of the other dancers told me that they admired the way I do a slow, easy lock turn, esp. the way that I style and "own" it. Never mind that I stole the move from the teacher, I'll take it!

j_alexandra and twnkltoz like this.
  6. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

"My eyes just kept going back to you, your smile was so genuine!!" -one of my teacher's other students who was spectating the comp last weekend. This was especially poignant after struggling my whole dance career with my total inability to force a smile for pictures. Apparently, being "real" and not "pulling faces" is my winning formula!

twnkltoz likes this.
  7. middy

middy Well-Known Member

"You're a dance goddess"

and

"You and [partner] were like gifts from Jesus!" (paraphrased)

These sorts of comments, usually from newbies, are really flattering but also make me uncomfortable. I don't think I'm worthy of such praise, but I do have the best amateurs nationally as my aspiration/standard of comparison, so...yeah.

8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

"You were really amazing, and you didn't even have shoes on." I went to a social dance, without the intent of social dancing (cuz I hate it) so I didn't bring my shoes. I was there for a school project. But since I haven't danced in soo long, I decided to say yes to the guy and made it clear that I would be dancing barefoot. I'm glad I still have it after over a year of no dancing/lessons.

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

"I went to a social dance, without the intent of social dancing (cuz I hate it) "

i could so cure you of that:cool::cool::cool:

Sania likes this.
  10. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

"You were made for the Argentine Tango." - A friend last night after I did a brief impromptu showcase at our studio social. It's just one of the dances I've never had to really work on to look great at. Now only if it were in the competitions I went to..

11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Ok, I should rephrase. Love west coast swing socials, hate ballroom socials. I just love the atmosphere of west coast socials, while ballroom socials lack most of the time. At least for me.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

I Like both but totally agree WCS socials rock the vibe is awesome

stash likes this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Went to our first studio party in our new town. Asked a very tall very balletic looking girl to dance waltz. Turns out she's the prez of a smooth dancers club. Later she came by and introduced herself to the mrs and said " your husband is the best smooth social dancer I've ever danced with..well non pro" Later when i asked her to WCS i found her weakness tho LOL

compliments from the social floor generally mean more to me

14. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Twice I was asked if I give private lessons and was given a business card from 2 different male social dancers in various studios. I was always refer them to the wife of my pro. It was really flattering though and compliments my dance teachers' work

15. leee

leee Well-Known Member

That's because you don't pay for them!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  16. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I will go to Lindy hop, wcs, or Tango, but rarely ballroom unless I'm teaching that night and decide to stay.

17. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

If I calculated the cost per compliment rate with my teacher, it would be astronomical. :eek: Coaches and other teachers compliment me way more than he does.

However, since this thread is about the best compliment you have ever gotten on your dancing, the best by far is that not only do I feel good to dance with, but he likes how he feels when he's dancing with me. When a newish instructor was working with him one day and asked how it felt to lead her, she asked how it compared to leading me (in a good way: "do I feel as light as xxx", not, "please tell me I don't feel as awful as xxx"). Mind you, we are constantly working on it and improving it, which is why I don't get so many compliments from him. The topic is always, "how can we improve this."

leee likes this.
  18. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Okay, this one isn't so much the best compliment I've ever received but I still remember it.

During Viennese Waltz:
    "Woah, you follow like butter!"

(Implying smoothness, I can only hope!)

j_alexandra likes this.
  19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Danced a short show number yesterday. Afterwards, random audience member told me:

"I love to watch you dance. You have that something, and made me forget to breathe. The connection that you and *pro* have sometimes brings tears to my eyes. You could see it before you started dancing, when you were just looking at each other."

(This routine had us starting at opposite ends of the ballroom, and dancing apart for a good 30 seconds - a little scary for this standard dancer!)

As someone who is fighting hard to become more than just a technical dancer, this one meant a lot!

20. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

At a competition Saturday, a woman whose dancing I greatly respect told my partner and me that we are her favorite couple to watch because of our connection and joy for the dance. It was so moving and she was so sincere...I had to work really hard to not cry!

j_alexandra, scullystwin42 and leee like this.