General Dance Discussion > Best Compliment(s) You've Ever Gotten On Your Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

A retired professional ice dancer watched part of my lesson one day, and stopped us to comment on how it inspired her to go back to ice dancing.

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Probably "That wasn't half bad," from Rhythm Pro, "You seem awfully familiar with this [samba]", Latin Pro (I had only the vaguest memories of group classes over a year ago and have never done private lessons on samba or Int. Rhumba), "You're quite a little [smooth] foxtrot dancer", from Pat Traymore (who is the only person on the planet who seems to think I've got some talent for Smooth, including me, but who am I to argue with her?), and not a verbal comment, but the obviously-relieved hug after Smooth Pro and I did a showcase to the wrong music when the right song would not play--he fully expected, I think, for me to have a meltdown.

3. Joyful Dancer

Joyful Dancer New Member

I don't know that it was the best compliment but it was very cute the way it was phrased...... "I likey, I likely a LOT"!!

4. bia

bia Well-Known Member

My favorite was when a lead told me I had power steering.

5. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

When I was doing the dirty dancing 'lift' with one of my sisters friends people were literally crying (after she had fallen on top of me :D )

No, I couldn't lift her up, my arms are not as strong as I thought!

6. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I'm used to criticisms, but I actually got a compliment over the weekend at a social dance. I was dancing rumba with a very good pro, and his lead was absolutely amazing. The dance felt like heaven. Doing just basic figures, I was able to use my body in ways I couldn't do with other leads--not even with previous partners. I thanked him and said that was the best dance I've had in a long time, due to his wonderful leading. He smiled and replied, "To be a good leader takes a good follower."

7. megeliz

megeliz Member

On my follow:

During a really bad dance funk where I felt like I couldn't do anything right, after dancing with a guy that I hadn't seen in a couple months, he told me "I always love dancing with you because you're always improving!" which meant a lot seeing as I felt like I had danced horribly.

A couple weeks ago, a higher level dancer told me he'd rather dance with me than [a higher level follow] any day of the week.

On my lead:

Basically when any girl that tells me 'Wow! You're really good! ...You're actually a lot better than a lot of the guys!'

And from the first time I lead Deborah Szekely: "No way, girl!! A reverse whip?!"

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

now that is impressive! :)

for me, probly "oh... i thought you were a pro". bless you, dear...

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

a kiss on the cheek.......

10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I had a nice compliment from someone during last week's dance party...she said I love watching you dance tango...it's so dramatic....

I always thought tango was a good way of getting rid of any latent hostility I might be carrying around...:rolleyes:

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

do you dance with your enemies?

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I don't have any enemies, at least that I know of.

I might channel feelings if I'm irritated, unhappy, or grumpy, which doesn't mean it's directed at the person I'm dancing with. But, tango works better for me to put some feeling into it.

13. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

"You are the SLEAZIEST dancer I've ever seen!"

14. megeliz

megeliz Member

Yea, that was fun...she had seen me lead many times before (Robert and Deborah are local to Boston now, and I'm usually at their weekly dances), but I had actually only just learned to lead the reverse whip the week before!

Also, any time a follower seeks me out to lead her is pretty cool...although I'm not sure what to make of the advanced leader that usually only dances with me once a week, and has recently taken to making me lead him half the dance, and what that says of my following!

15. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Others I've had:

1) Partner kissed me and said, "That was the dance of the night!" :D

2) Another time, I did a particularly fun Hustle with a woman who afterwards asked me where I learned. I told her that Hustle was the one dance I was self-taught on, her jaw hit the floor in amazement, and her reply, "WOW, you're better than some people who've had lessons!" :eek::mrgreen::shock:

16. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

I'd say that counts ;)

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

excellent. so... do you often take group classes as the lead?

18. megeliz

megeliz Member

Yea, that's pretty much the only way I take group classes now, when I take them at all, unless it's a very technique-based class rather than a pattern-based class.

My follow I work on through dancing socially and with privates. Group classes doesn't really do much for me as a follower, as I'm much more concerned with my fundamental movement and whatever I'm working on at the time than with doing some specific anchor variation (that I don't even like) or some foot flick on 3.

Leading gives me a break from thinking about my follow, and since I can't compete as a lead (even though I'd sooo kick the butts of the guys in my division...), it's something I do purely for fun and social reasons.

19. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Another student came up to me after my first showcase with my pro, when I had been dancing all of a year and was lamenting all my mistakes, and said, "I just told my instructor that I want to dance like you."

Not just the best dancing compliment I've received, but one of the best compliments ever.

20. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I've often heard comments that I lead well.

But of course it also takes a good follower.