General Dance Discussion > Best Compliment(s) You've Ever Gotten On Your Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

When i was learning tango I would get people coming to me after a workshop and say

"oh how did so-and-so show us to do that?" but i expect thats my memory and understanding not dancing.

2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

"You guys aren't even registered dancers yet, and already you're doing things that some of the registered bunch can't do."

3. FaceTheMusic

FaceTheMusic New Member

I was doing a freestyle tango with my instructor near the end of my lesson and afterwards another dancer asked if it was our showcase routine. I'm nowhere near the level of most of the people on this board, but that made me feel that all the $$$ and hours spent have had some effect :D.

4. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

I had to substitute for my own coach last night at a university team newcomer class (it's a long story). I was prepared for total disaster - it was the first week of class, there were ~80 of them who have never danced before, and I cannot stress how not qualified I am to teach anybody anything. I felt like it was super rough and awkward, but after the class was over one of the team board members said that I was a natural.

5. Shaka

Shaka New Member

I'm usually told how graceful and elegant I am ;) That's because I do ballroom wherever I can, in salsa dancings, in argentine tango dancings, and so on. Sometimes I get a kiss on the cheek. And other times I can sense the lady feel like as if we were making love ;)

6. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Just got a real jaw-dropper tonight, this woman I LOVE to dance with and who seeks me out a lot too told me that outside of her husband (who is a SERIOUSLY great dancer himself) I've become her favorite guy to dance with. My jaw hit the ground in total amazement because there are guys @ the Atlanta Ballroom Dance club that are light-years ahead of me. She also told me that my confidence as a dancer and in general has grown tons! I was blown away!

7. Phil Owl

Two more that took me aback, TWO people asked me this weekend if I taught or danced competitively. They were totally shocked that I don't. :eek:

8. CANI

CANI Active Member

Two come to mind -- both from when dancing standard and both from the same person (a person whose opinion I respect): "You have the most natural movement" and "It has become very pleasant to dance with you" followed by the reasons that made it pleasant. The reason both are special to me is getting there required a significant amount of hard work and practice. I most certainly did not start off with natural movement nor as someone with whom it was pleasant to dance.

9. Phil Owl

Got a lot of compliments @ Waltz Play yesterday, particularly from this one lady on how I lead turns and being smooth in doing it, and major compliments from another on being creative and just how much she enjoyed my dancing and how I kept getting better (and this lady is an AMAZING dancer herself, had about 10 years of ballet experience in addition to everything else). :grin:

10. wiseman

wiseman New Member

I usually get a lot of compliments, but what happened last Saturday was really interesting. In our Intermediate Salsa class, we were dancing this routine that the instructor broke down for us. When the women rotated, it was my turn to dance with this one women. We danced, did it correctly, and she jumped for joy. She says "very good" and gives me a hug. That's took me by surprise because I never gotten that kind of a compliment before. But she's about 20 years older than me, so don't get any ideas. ;)
    She was just happy that she was able to dance the routine without making any mistakes. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like the longer I dance, the more women enjoy dancing with me.

11. Phil Owl

No, you're not imagining things, it does indeed get better with time. The last few years I have experienced this same thing.

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

:uplaugh: Two assistant instructors used to avoid dancing with me in group classes. Then the day came when one would contact me fairly regularly to invite me to social dances outside the studio. I declined, of course. :nope:

13. Ecclesiastes3_4

Ecclesiastes3_4 New Member

A couple weeks ago, I helped teach the Cha-Cha fan to the ladies in our club's dance class and after the teacher told me "You're just the best ever!" and said I was a great teacher. That made me happy because I like teaching people to dance. It's nice to know I'm good at it :).

14. Phil Owl

Got a very cool compliment today from a lady I danced with several times, she said she noticed that other women looked very excited and happy when I asked them to dance. :D

15. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Wow, you really shut your mouth and just follow!

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

interesting...i am not certain how I would take that

17. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

One compliment I will remember for a very long time; had just danced the rumba routine of my dance life up to that point on the competitive floor (you know the one, everything plays in slow motion and you're simply observing from somewhere within your mind).

I saw Yulia Z. (yes that Yulia!) a little while later (and no, I don't know her personally) and she actually said to me "great dancing"....I was on cloud nine for days.

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

zomg I would have wet myself LG!!!!...but, I have had a similar experience, once with Michael Neil (wrt, my rhythm)and once with Mazen (wrt my smooth)...and I cling very tightly to both of those moments when I have myself convinced that I am specially challenged as a dancer

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

"I find it easier with you in close...you're a good leader."

20. I once danced with a buxom young woman had been standing by the side of the dance-floor, looking like she wanted to dance, but who agreed to do so with what seemed like some slight trepidation (as if maybe she got too much attention from gropers or the like). After a couple seconds, she turned to her friends while we were dancing and said, with a big smile on her face, "He can dance!" Maybe not a compliment per se, but somehow it made a bigger impression on me than some actual compliments.