General Dance Discussion > Best Compliment(s) You've Ever Gotten On Your Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

At my last lesson (I've only been taking lessons for about 8 months), my instructor told me that I was very talented, that he had only had one other student EVER that progressed as fast as I was progressing, and that (jokingly with this part) if all of his students were like me, they wouldn't need him and he'd be out a job. It was so special to hear that. It inspired me to work even harder :bouncy: Hopefully I can continue learning and improving. Those words will be hard to live up to, but I like a challenge:rocker:

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I managed to contain myself until I got to the women's dressing room, then I have to admit, I was bouncing around like a two year old. *grin*

And that's quite an impressive list you have got going there yourself my dear!

3. latingal

I love this, you made her happy! No better compliment than that!

4. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

I had a moment like that with Ben Ermis. Very cool, and I probably would have wet myself too LG, haha.

Current favorite is when pro told me a while back that he could now dance his own part to the best of his ability.

5. Andreth

Andreth Member

That is the ultimate compliment, in my book, Musicchica, congrats! I'm still working to get there myself.

Though I sometimes get questions like "Are you an instructor/competitor?" while social dancing, the compliments that mean most to me come from those whose opinion I most value. Current best was pro's wife/partner: "When you guys did that reverse outside swivel for me, you looked like an open level dancer." (In tango, that is the step I struggle most with right now, so that was :cool: and I was on cloud 9 for a while.)

Of course, gotta love honest teachers too. I love how after my pro and I placed much better than I would have expected at my first comp, he said ,"Yeah, it didn't feel that good, but I was surprised you weren't more nervous like you usually are." He was right of course, it didn't feel great, but I had decided that I had a choice between focusing on my technique and making it feel good that way (and probably failing miserably), or on extension, movement, and expression while dancing the competition, and I picked the latter figuring that it was my best chance of placing well. His wife/partner did say that my waltz looked really nice...and I know she meant it. :) I guess that was making up for telling me the week before that my two favorite dances (viennese and foxtrot) are also my worst. Figures. :rolleyes:

6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Once....my instructor was introducing me to another student, and asked the gentleman if we'd ever met. The gentleman looked at my instructor and said "No....(then looked at me and said)...but I've seen you gliding around the dance floor."

*sigh* I love those little 'out-of-the-blue' moments in life.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I got a few really nice ones yesterday...actually three...in a way

the first is that my standard waltz went so well...something which rarely happenes btw, that pro allowed for a shape that is rarely offered...don't really know how to describe that but I do know that it is rare and doesn't usually happen unless I have all of my other ducks in a very nice row

second was that after an open impetus we had to stop in promenade in a corner to allow traffic to move along and we had to stay there for a good long while which, is not going to happen without really good balance and all that jazz...and a standard pro whom I deeply respect was on deck observing it and began to clap very loudly and boistrously, which you don't often see in closed syllabus...

and lastly, a pro who doesn't usually mark me particularly well, made a point of delivering a very specific compliment to me about increased power and shape to my dancing...and when I get a compliment that specific I can generally hope that it is more than self interest...so I am feeling pretty good about the weekend

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

congrats fasc! :cheers:

9. fascination

thx SD...let's hope it wasn't a mirage :)...for now, I am going to savor it :)

10. latingal

sounds like a great weekend fasc...and after some doubts on the standard earlier, you go girl!!

11. fascination

yea...it's amazing what one mental change and one technical change can do

12. ldavila

ldavila New Member

Best compliment to date...

My wife and I started dancing last year and we are really into it!
    So much so that we've tried on many occasions (unsuccessfully) to convince our teenage kids to try it out.

A few weeks ago was the first time our 17yr old daughter saw us dance.
    Her comment (with a bemused/puzzled look on her face):

"wow... you guys don't stink!" :eyebrow:

I don't know what she was expecting - but it couldn't have been good.
    Still - her 'reverse compliment' made me feel great!
    :bouncy:

Cheers,
    Laz.

13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

From instructor the other day after she fixed choreography that we (and by "we" I mean "me") couldn't get a handle on. Then she mentioned that we should play with the timing on one part now that we had more time there (because she'd taken out about 5 different things I was supposed to have been doing, and by "5" I mean one spin that in the scheme of it all was sending me over the edge), to put the time with the prettier lines. Anyway, she said, "You're dancers now! You can fix some of this yourselves!"

14. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Ended a Cha-Cha last night with a two-hand continuous turn (which is easier to do than it looks), and my partner got this HUGE smile on her face and said how much she loved when I did that move :D

15. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

I got some nice compliments last night from mum and sister when they came to watch. Think my dancing has improved a lot :D And one member of the audience whom she overheard said I was brave as the only man :lol::cool:

16. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

At one of our practice parties recently, one of the other instructors cut in on a foxtrot to dance with me. I had often wanted to dance with him but would have never asked him to dance. So it was a nice treat to have him cut in and dance with me. The following week, he came over and asked me to dance at the beginning of a song. When our dance was over, he said "you have really become a light lead". "It's a joy to dance with you". I was pretty happy about that.

And at another practice party, everything just seemed to be clicking for me. I picked up on the leads without much trouble, which I usually don't do well. I got asked to dance almost every single song with a variety of partners that said they all enjoyed dancing with me. My pro (whom I usually sit and wait my turn to dance with at the parties) even came over to me and asked "am I ever going to get to dance with you again"?

That was a great compliment even though he didn't know it...

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

That I was very light to dance with, and much above my actual level ^^

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

This past Tuesday I danced with one person from a group and then I saw her run back to her friends and point to me out of the corner of my eye. As I was standing there a little while later one of the other ladies asked me to dance. Then the rest of teh group proceeded to ask me to dance. Newbies, grant you, but they didn't do that with any of the other "more than beginner" leaders they danced with. One asked if I taught, another...The real compliment was choosing me from all the others.

Yesterday night at the end of a nice cuban salsa the lady with a huge grin on her face telling me that she loved dancing to the percussion, that few people did that. Then when I was leaving later coming over to me, and thanking me again.

19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Got 2 last night that really surprised me:

1) After a Rumba, my partner told me I led turns better than 90% of the guys there, which I found a little hard to swallow. :D:shock:

2) My second to last dance of the night was a Waltz, my partner said I had some VERY beautiful Waltz moves she never experienced before. :D

20. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

A guy I've known since I started dancing--and he was an advanced dancer then--has not always been able to contain his frustration over the years when I couldn't follow him.

Tonight we did a foxtrot. At the end of the dance, he patted my hand and beamed like a lighthouse. It meant a lot that he truly enjoyed the dance.