General Dance Discussion > Best Compliment(s) You've Ever Gotten On Your Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

:p :rolleyes: :cool:

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

"You look great together..."

3. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I had a couple of ladies ask me to dance with them during an exhibition. I'll take that as a compliment.

4. TangoRocks

TangoRocks Member

not the best one, but this weekend I went to the Xmas ball of the international style studio I am going to be taking lessons from in the new year, and while leading American style (all I know) cha-cha with an international trained follower, I must have done some kind of dip at the end of the song that I got complimented on when we got back to our table; and that, by multiple people. Now if I could ONLY remember what and how I did it, and replicate the success... :cool:

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Said a few times: "You're quite a performer..."

6. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

"You are the best dancer in the room."

Every time I go to a large folk dance festival and a certain woman is there, she says this to me, no matter how many great dancers are also there. Last weekend, she said it after I had danced in a line with a couple of women who always draw my eye with their grace and expression. So she modified her statement, a little defensive of her opinion, to acknowledge the direct comparison ... saying, "You're STILL the best dancer in the room."

I think she meant that there's something about my style that she likes, no matter what other people might think. I don't really know her except as the woman who likes the way I dance. But I get a kick out of knowing I have a fan ....

7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

"You sparkle..."

8. drejenpha

drejenpha Member

Bane of my existence...

I pulled out an old video of a formation I was in years ago and was watching it/showing it to a couple friends. Friends (2 guys) have determined that I'm "graceful like a swan". I didn't get quite as much admiration as my partner's chest did, but coming from them it means a lot.

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

After a Waltz showcase (performed to Henry Mancini's "Moon River"): "That was...spectacular!"

10. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Said to me after Am. Smooth scholarship rounds, "how many students do you have? can you teach us?"
    hahahahahha.

11. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

I've had a couple ladies ask me if I teach or compete. If only I WAS that good.

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

"After seeing your showcase, I really want to do the Samba! It looks so cool..."

and

"Wow! Those Samba Rolls took me by surprise! Nice!"

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

At a comp, many students and teachers from another studio in another city cheering out (in unison), "GO RAY!!!" after a couple of heats.

14. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Great stuff Ray! :D

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Phil, thanks so much! I was so pleasantly surprised and elated, I ended up buying lots of souvenir T-shirts for that studio at that event. These black and white ones that had dance foot patterns on them...

16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Our coaches, who we are leaving (They're going away for 5 months :(), said that we're truly a pleasure to teach.

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Sorry to hear that! Hope that it will not feel too long before you get to see them again!

18. MrPlow

MrPlow New Member

I danced for 17 years, mostly Swing (WCS, Lindy and ECS). These are my most memorable compliments.

From a follower who was becoming a frequent partner: "Don't tell my boyfriend, but I have the most fun dancing with you."

Being the only couple on the floor at a live blues club, walking off in the middle of a long song and having the audience applaud our WCS.

At one venue I'd show up early to watch the end of the advanced beginner WCS class so I could pick out future prospects. Danced with one after the last class in the series taking care to keep my leads clear, my move selection simple variations on the pattern they had learned, but also shaded the moves she knew by fitting them to the song. After one dance she said "I feel like I've just danced for the first time."

The last few years of my dance addiction was in a town where dance was competition or beginning social ballroom with nothing in between. Danced purely for the socializing until I discovered one of the instructors, a silver level ballroom competition, danced east coast swing with joy and passion. While resting after a few dances with her, her competition partner came up to me saying that he liked watching us dance but this time he was studying me to determine if he could see any of my leads.

This compliment was for everyone on the floor. Danced in front of the Bill Elliot Swing Orchestra in 1993 at the dawn of the swing fad. The dancers were all either people who were young when swing music was new or dance studio geeks like me. During the band's break I found myself in the bathroom next to a couple band members who were talking about what a great gig it was. I asked one if he'd mind telling me why. "Because we can see our music!", he replied.

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Those are fabulous! :cheers: + hearty congratulations!

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Danced with someone who was visiting after being away and she said that I have gotten better.