General Dance Discussion > Best Dance Coaches - Who are your favorites?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Apr 9, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I'm curious, especially in the area of nationally recognized professionals, who are your favorite coaches?
    for Latin?
    for Standard?
    for Swing?
    for Salsa?
    If you ere going to pay the bill to fly someone in to teach at your school, who would you hire?

From my fairly limited experience, I especially liked taking lessons from Frankie Manning for Lindy Hop and Bob and Julia for American Rhythm.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I’ve had group lessons, but not individual coaching, with a lot of people who I think would be wonderful coaches. That aside, my last Rhythm/Latin partner and I had a couple of excellent coaching lessons with Jean Marc Generoux last year. Jean Marc is such a crack-up that, at first, I found myself getting annoyed & thinking “get on with it already, we’re paying for dancing, not a comedy routine.” The funny – and impressive – thing was how much we were learning without even noticing it! The entire look of our samba routine had changed, drastically, in just 2 hours…now that’s coaching!

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I spent an hour with a coach one time working stricty on the "a 1" in Samba. We covered nothing else. I paid $75 just to get help with "a 1". Of course, my "a 1"s are much better now. I can't remember who it was.

The point I'm trying to make is it's nice for a teacher to be entertaining and have a mutipronged approach. Sometimes you can really work a step and get it better and other times you need to move on and come back to some of the things you are missing later.

4. SDsalsaguy

I should probably add that Gean Marc is one of the nicest, most genuine, sincere, and generous people I have had the pleasure of meeting.

5. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

anyone else have any favorite coaches?

6. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I have not had many but I had good experiences with Noelle Gray (CT) and guy who went by Berkley Bounce (CA)

I look forward to learning more from both of them. :D

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

On the topic of coaches, inquiring minds want to know, how do you go about finding the good ones (other than word of mouth, obviously). Are there reputable magazines, websites, or organizations out there one could refer to?

8. SDsalsaguy

Dance Beat has an ads section with contact info for most of the top coaches in the U.S. as well as many abroad. The most complete list is International Dance Directory...however you need to know who the people are on your own.