Dancers Anonymous > Best food to have before competition

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by josheph, Apr 29, 2013.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am cool dancing anytime between 8 a.m. and 7pm.......before or after is unpleasant

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

8am too early.... gotta do my yoga first...

old peeps like me need their stretching LOL

3. tdmarz22

tdmarz22 New Member

Sweet potatos is actually one of the best pre workout (or dance) foods you can have.

Another good one is applesauce, with a scoop of protein powder (at least for the guys out there).

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Something with protein. Meat or eggs is ideal, yogurt will do if that's all their is and it's one of the very few kinds/flavors I'm willing to eat (ie only coffee, lime, vanilla, chocolate, certain lemon but not Chobani's, Greek not regular, no artificial flavors, no other fruit flavors than those listed.)

5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I always heard that you should eat protein the night before and just good carbs the day of/during the event. This way you have energy but aren't bogged down by the heaviness of the protein.

6. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I'm very particular, prefer to eat 5 or 6 hours before my heat for enough time for digest;) prefer hot cooked food such as steak, mash potato with lots gravy or hot soup, also like pastas; don't like junk food, cold cut sandwich:( some delicious burgers ok too. I hate comp hold at a venue with only junk food/ fast food. A venue with lots of eating choices is greatly appreciated!

7. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

I'd love to hear more on this. Is there an old thread somewhere, I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

8. fascination

more about what?

9. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

What to eat during a comp

10. fascination

i think we do have some of this in the archives if you do a search using key words

11. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

seems to me a laxative might increase the energy level for quickstep and meringue but may prove a detriment to maintaining an appropriate facial expression.

12. bboyeddy

bboyeddy New Member

rice and noodle for sure!!

13. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Diet Coke, a pack of Binaca breath strips, and a handful of trail mix I gathered from the sheets from the night before (don't ask- I still have no idea).

14. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Eggs and bagel/donut with fruit in the morning. Mostly because I love donuts but can't justify eating them on normal days. During the day, usually turkey sandwiches with chips, grapes, cookies, whatever the team brought. After, I used to eat a giant meal but I find that as I move up and don't have to dance 7 rounds for each style, I eat less than I used to at dinner

15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I usually start dancing at 10 am, so I have breakfast : eggs, toast, fruit.....I don't do a bunch of heats, so I'm good to go after that. In between single dances and scholarship, I'll have half sandwich or banana. After the day is done....I have whatever I want!!

16. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Bananas are da bomb

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Peanut butter :)

18. fascination

like deb...usually a big breakfast for me...

19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I don't usually do breakfast at all...so having a big breakfast feels strange. Boiled eggs are good...then healthy snacks at dance tide me through.

20. fascination

I don't usually do brekkies at all either...but I love it at a comp