Ballroom Dance > Best New Songs

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Meagan, Sep 7, 2014.

1. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

At 43 mpm you could probably do a jive from her The Woman I Am album released 2013.

Jive
    Kellie Pickler
    LIttle Bit of Gypsy

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
  2. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

What dance can you do to this song-

Rhianna
    Stay

3. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I've heard Stay played at WCS events. I can't dance to it though.

4. TwoRightFeet

It sounds like something they would use on DWTS for a foxtrot -- the right tempo, just not fitting the character of the dance.

5. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Do you dance at Connolly's or Gotham Swing Club ?

6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I loved this... and I'm not a huge slow waltz fan.

7. sbrnsmith

Maybe Vienniese??

8. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Since its time signature is 4/4, that would be a bit difficult. ;) I agree, however, that there is something about it that made me think VW. Can anybody who understands music better explain what might make it feel that way?

9. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Here's a jazzier version

cha cha:
    Coldplay
    Clocks
    Year:2002

10. TwoRightFeet

I don't understand anything about music, except that it has beats, some beats stronger than others. It seems that with swingy and foxtrotty music that have groups of 4 beats, you can group them in pairs, one beat in each pair being stronger than the other (strong-weak-strong-weak, or weak-strong-weak-strong), so it's not just a matter of having one strong beat at the start of the group and the remaining beats being equally weak. Viennese waltz music, in contrast, does seem to have one strong beat at the start of each group of 3, with the remaining beats being weak (strong-weak-weak).

The reason why I think some 4-beat music that could actually be danced as foxtrots or swings, has a certain Viennesey feeling to it is that they have one strong beat at the start of each group followed by a group of equally weak beats (strong-weak-weak-weak). That's why I think Stay may sound foxtrotty to some (it has groups of 4 beats), but Viennesey to others (only the first beat in each group has any kind of emphasis). Either way, it would feel strange to dance to, although if I really had to dance to it, I'd do a foxtrot. Even as a West Coast Swing I think it would seem strange, and you can do West Coast Swing to all kinds of different music.

I'm sure someone will come up with a more technical explanation.

From watching DWTS, it seems that there's a new ballroom dance now -- something called "The Contemporary". Maybe that's what we could do to this music, once we figure out all the new steps.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Looking at the sheet music for piano for Stay, I notice that there are lots of half notes, and dotted half notes in the bass clef. And, while the treble clef is mostly quarter notes, the lower note of the chords that are played are also half notes.
    I'm not familiar with what contemporary fox trot uses for basic patterns, but in the era I've been studying slow, quick quick is quite common. It bears more than a passing resemblance to the waltz 1 2 3. In fact some older dance book authors talked about / complained about the ignoramus waltz - Waltz-a-Deux Temps, or Two-step Waltz.

And, as far as doing WCS to that song... I guess I'm coming around to the view that often WCS danced to music without any swing or shuffle in the song.. is .. well..

12. MaggieMoves

I hear swing on this one... but but I'm sure others will hear something else (good thing I'm not a leader!):

Swing
    Olly Murs
    Dance With Me Tonight

GJB likes this.
  13. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Olly Murs - Dance With Me Tonight

Good one. It would definitely make me want to swing.
    It has a very 50s rock n roll feel to it.
    I found it really easy to feel the phrasing, if you are into mixing your 6 count and 8 count stuff.
    (Sheet music has the good ole notation the two 1/8 notes should be played unequally.)

MaggieMoves likes this.
  14. sbrnsmith

East coast swing
    Jonas Bothers
    Pom Poms
    Year: 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2016
  15. sbrnsmith

16. MaggieMoves

Some of these songs I can't believe I've forgotten about, especially since cha-cha is my favorite dance.

Cha-cha-cha
    Robin Thicke "Blurred Lines"
    Year: 2013

17. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Maggiemoves, these two are for YOU!

Tom Jones
    Sex Bomb
    Year: 1999

Santana
    Smooth
    Year: 1999

MaggieMoves likes this.
  18. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

Guess the original does make a good cha cha... LOL i'm surprised this didn't occur to me before LMAO. But i do love it in it's tango rebirth.

19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

YOu have to skip the first 50 seconds LOL... but
    decent bolero:
    Marron 5
    Secret
    Year:2002

MaggieMoves likes this.
  20. MaggieMoves

Both are already on my playlist. Not new, but definitely fun!

Dr Dance likes this.