Ballroom Dance > Best New Songs

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Meagan, Sep 7, 2014.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

He is...

2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Cha Cha (social)

Madcon - Don't Worry feat. Ray Dalton 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2017
    RythmHansen and AHCook like this.
  3. AHCook

AHCook New Member

I just found this song a couple of days ago and love it!! Lindsey Stirling and Mark Ballas danced to it on DWTS last night.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  4. MaggieMoves

I know I've heard the song before. It's a lot of fun!

AHCook likes this.
  5. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

THere already is a chacha-fied version of that somewhere.... maybe one of the dj's threw it up on soundcloud or something. It's on my ipod but I got a bunch on newer stuff recently from my coach. I'm not sure where she finds it. But yah, it's a good one ;-)

MaggieMoves and AHCook like this.
  6. AHCook

AHCook New Member

@MaggieMoves, I am still totally new at this, and I am curious, what makes this song a social Cha Cha vs a normal Cha Cha? Is it the Bpm?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  7. MaggieMoves

I'm sure someone could better answer this than me. I have little musical background and for me - it's much more mathematical and analytic for me to pick it out.

The staccato isn't as "sharp" as something you'd find for a competition song, and if you play with different timing you have to flub it a bit. It still has elements in it to be qualified as something you'd dance socially though.

@Miss Silly mentioned that there was a "cha cha-fied" version out there. This is more something you'd find on a competition floor.

Dr Dance, Miss Silly and AHCook like this.
  8. RythmHansen

RythmHansen New Member

I love this song as well. Such great rythm to it. :)

AHCook likes this.
  9. AHCook

AHCook New Member

Thank you for explaining! I also have very little musical background, but I think I understand what you are saying. I can definitely hear the difference between the two songs. With the addition of the Latin instruments, the edited cha cha version has a crisper or more traditional cha cha song sound to it.

10. AHCook

AHCook New Member

@Miss Silly I am building a playlist, so if you have time and/or want to post some of those new songs...;)

Miss Silly likes this.
  11. Miss Silly

Yah i'm always desperate for new music - although i have to say there are a couple other members here with a much better library than I ;-P

And yes! @MaggieMoves that's the one!! :D

MaggieMoves likes this.
  12. Miss Silly

Just to elaborate on the above, if you play the original and the cha-cha version one after another, you're ears will pick up the difference. Aside from 'appropriate bmp', there are rhythmic characteristics of each dance that make it what it is. So cha cha - with it's distinctive 4&1 - will be amplified quite a bit with the percussion... So you can hear in the original, there isn't really much to emphasize that "cha cha" (the 4&1 counts), compared to the cha-cha-fied version.

Usually when they take a pop song and turn it into dance music, they'll just basically tweak the tempo and overlay a percussion track that's signature to that dance style. LIke in a rumba, generally always has an overlay of congas and sometimes (although not always) even with the classical bossa nova rhythm in there with something like a clave. Here's a song example that's been rumba-fied and you'll easily hear that signature percussive "rumba sound":

OR sometimes the song gets re-recorded with a new singer/band in the appropriate style (kind of like a cover song).

AHCook and MaggieMoves like this.
  13. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

Samba
    Rain - The Script
    July 2017

14. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

15. AHCook

AHCook New Member

@Miss Silly, Somehow I am just now seeing this, sorry about that.
    Thank you for explaining! Ok, yes, that makes sense, I can definitely hear the differences.

The addition of percussion helps a lot, here is a samba example I found.

Here is the original song

VS

Samba Version

Miss Silly and MaggieMoves like this.
  16. MaggieMoves

I like the samba-fied version much better...

17. Miss Silly

OOoh i like that!!!!

I love it when sambas are super percussiony. LOL.

Right now i'm loving this one for some reason. I think because the voice reminds me of Benni Benassi "Satisfaction"

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  18. Miss Silly

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

WCS
    Eklo - Sugar, Honey

MaggieMoves likes this.
  20. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member