Salsa > Best Salsa Clubs

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Dancing Queen

Dancing Queen New Member

Thanks jamaicanspice... it's really refreshing to read so much about Salsa and other peoples experiences. I've only been into salsa for 18 months but I have already converted a few friends, I think continually telling them that it's the best thing on earth! started to grind them down and they gave up and came with me :lol: The feeling when you actually connect with the music doesn't happen all the time for me at the minute but when it does it's such a high it's incredible, can't wait to Miami.

Does anyone know of any sites that I can use to give me an accurate understanding of what the clubs in Miami are really like?????

2. SalseraLaura

SalseraLaura New Member

hey dancing queen im from dublin!!do you come down to the congress or anything? who do you learn salsa from in NI? all the questions.lol well to keep on track heres the best clubs in dublin, ireland

tuesday
    Salsa Villa at the Temple Bar Music Centre, Curved St. Dublin 2
    (club run by afrimania, a good mix of all levels with 1 hr classes from beginner to advanced in seperate studios beforehand)

thursday
    Salsa Sufisticat at Bojangles, Harcourt St. Dublin 2
    (club run by afrimania, classes from beginner to intermediate before the club, this club has more beginners than higher level dancers but has a nice cosy atmosphere)

edit: what are the best clubs in toronto?? im going there soon i heard babaluu was really good? any other opinions?
    Salsa at the Garda Club, Harrington St. Dublin 6
    (club run by hillary, classes from beginner to intermediate before the club, this club has a higher standard of leaders than others in the city)

Sunday
    SOS at the Ormonde Quay Hotel, Ormonde Quay, Dubin 1
    (run by afrimania, there are perpaid 2 hr classes for all levels followed by 1hr classes for all levels and a club till around 11:30)

3. Dancing Queen

Dancing Queen New Member

Hi there... unfortunately I didn't get to the Congress this year. Definetly next year. I attend classes at Queens Uni at the minute the instructor is Chris Scullion - very good, alot of enthusiasm and really spends the time perfecting the moves. I started the classes for fun, but I am so hooked it's crazy. Thanks a million for run down for the Dublin area that's really useful. Must try some of those clubs out.... how long have you been dancing?

4. SalseraLaura

SalseraLaura New Member

ive been dancing for 3 years and i know chris on a nod and say hi basis, ive danced with him a couple of times too!! :D might see you at the congress next year!

5. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

For those dedicated Salseros y Salseras who need info on the Salsa scene in Boston, you should go to Sophia's in Boston on Wednesday nights, Ryles [in Cambridge] on Thursday nights, and El Bembe in Boston on Friday nights [live band, during the fall & winter]. El Bembe is the name of the event not a club. [www.salsaboston.com]

:)

6. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

you're welcome Dancing Queen...glad we could be of assistance. To get the information you need regarding Miami you might want to consult Borikensalsero since he seems to be in the 'know-how' of this kinda thing. Her certianly helped me out with info on New York (where I plan to be in a couple weeks :D ).

7. romch

romch New Member

Decided to make my first post on this thread! Best place to dance in Albuquerque,NM is at the Cooperage on Friday's and Saturday's. Always a live band and DJ in between. In Santa Fe, the Paramount on Saturday's with DJ (by yours truely :lol: ). Albuquerque scene is pretty good and Santa Fe scene is picking up! All dancing in NM seems to be on 1. Rueda is starting to catch on here and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before "on 2" becomes popular. We're usually a step behind everyone else. When you were on 1, we we're just "on"..haha!

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

welcome to df romch! Thanks for the info. What are your personal favorite dance styles? And if you know anything about great cumbia and forro music I would love to have suggestions in my thread where I ask for help in creating my cd collections in those genres.

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hiya romch, and welcome to the Dance Forums! :D

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: Welcome to the forums, romch! :D

11. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

Welcome Romch!!! :D glad to have you onboard with the gang...hope you have a great time here!! :D Happy salsaing :wink:

12. romch

romch New Member

Thanks for the welcome and look forward to the posts! :D

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

What about Montreal? Anyone know of good places to do salsa there?

14. tj

tj New Member

Some DC/VA/MD clubs:

Mondays:
    Clarendon Grill A bit on the smallish side, and the past month it hasn't been all that great. But plenty of dancers show up, and you can find room if you look hard enough. Music is ok, not great, but at least it's probably 80-90% salsa.

Lucky Bar I hear it has an odd atmosphere and totally doesn't seem like a salsa club, but that really good dancers show up (rather late). Will give a review if/when I go. (Hey Vin, feel free to chime in here!)

Tuesdays:
    Not a salsa night for me but both Lulu's and Barking Dog have salsa nights.

Wednesdays:
    Zanzibar Probably the largest dance area in the scene. Lots of dancers, decent music. No jeans allowed.

Thursdays:
    Havana Village Haven't gone yet, but a friend likes this club a lot. She says it's more laid back then some of the other clubs. I will have to go experience this in person to see what she means.

Cecelia's Been there only once and didn't care for it. The music was really good, at least. Maybe 10-15 dancers stuck around after the class.

Fridays:
    Divino's On the smallish side, but lots of good dancers. Music was above average.

H20 Only been here for a concert (La India). The sound system was pretty bad in the main room (ala speaker distortion), but the club is huge! Note: if you show up with friends, make plans on where to meet when it's time to leave!

Saturdays:
    Club Yuca Tends to draw in lots of suggles, so be careful while dancing! Plenty of dancers to be found, too. Music is probably 60-75% salsa.

Sundays:
    Chevy Chase Ballroom Never been, but two friends of mine just went and said they had fun.

Monthly:
    Stuck On Salsa This is the must attend event for anyone wanting to get their salsa fix! Locations and dates vary, but they're really good. If you are in town, you definitely need to go. Heck, even if you're not in town, you should come to these nights!

(YMMV!!!)

[/b]

15. Vin

Vin New Member

There is a new place on Tuesdays, Tequila beach(or lounge I can't remember the name exactly) is having a salsa night on tuesdays. It should be good. I have been wanting to go but I have been so lazy on tuesdays. I might switch from mondays to tuesdays myself.

edit: As for lucky bar the thing I have heard is that it is just way too small. I have not gone myself yet though.

The frustrating thing about this scene is that besides the stuck on salsa events which are always great there is no consistently great night here. I think it is even magnified because of the S.O.S. events, if they weren't so good then you wouldn't even notice the other nights are lacking.

16. tj

tj New Member

I hear ya, bro - and completely agree with it!

17. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

For Gothenburg Sweden I recommend all to go to www.salsagbg.com and se whats happening (a uncommercial website managed by one of our greatest leaders in town). The main salsaclubs are however listed below.

Every Friday & Saturday you have Rio Rio which actually is a boat placed in the moat surrounding the centra of town. On Fridays there are drop-in-classes. On Saturdays it get very crowded. Not to recommend for anyone dancing linestyle. w w w.salsadans.com

Saturdays every second week there i Salsa Caliente club at Trappan Järntorget. This is a real good salsa club with the hottest dancers and nice environment. There is often some kind of show. Drop-in-classes at 21.30. Look for dates at w w w.salsacalienteclub.com

At summertime & Thursday you go to Henriksberg. At summertime you get more info at w w w.henriksberg.se . A great salsaclub with a huge terrace placed upon a mountain. Drop-in-classes for true newbies. The view from the terrace is the best you can get in Gothenburg, the habour and the sunset.... oooo....I long for summertime.....

I'm sorry - but I haven't the faintest idea where DC, VA or MD is? I guess they letters means cities or?

/luc

18. tj

tj New Member

Whoops, int'l audience... :oops:

DC = Washington DC
    VA = Virginia
    MD = Maryland

My local scene includes all three - as they are in a roughly 15 mile proximity of each other. (If you're curious, here's a map.)

19. Vin

Vin New Member

Just to split hairs our local scene Intersects all three, it only includes DC, there is a whole lot of Va and MD to explore.

20. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

OK tj, now I now where to go :wink: Let´s hope I can manage it some day. Perhaps I can get a job bringing me over sea. I was close once....but when the big IT crasch started my ticket was cancelled.

/luc