Best stories of pros at comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by pnoisette, Aug 31, 2007.

1. pnoisette

pnoisette New Member

For those who wanted a separate thread the best stories aabout pros at comps: You asked for it, you got it.:p
  2. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

is this thread about your pro/am pro stories? or pro competition stories?
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for starting this pnoisette...for those who weren't following the pro-am thread about what to expect from teachers at comps, we were starting to get into some fun stories and situations where pro-am students wanted to share their positive experiences with their pros at the comp....
  4. latingal

Was working with a pro that had a very, very busy schedule at one comp. During single dances the poor man danced pretty much straight through for two hours changing levels and ladies almost every couple of dances. The pro-am ladies organized so that each lady would be lined up and waiting at the appropriate heat(s) and would take the pro's arm as he came off the floor at the edge of the on deck area and whisper to him what type of dance he'd be dancing next and how long he'd be out on the floor with her.

Poor fella' made it through, but it was a very looooong day.
  5. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Yes, I bet it WAS a very looooong for your pro lg. I bet he really appreciates his am partners. I'm always amazed at how the pros can constantly switch from one dance/level to the next and back again.
  6. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

Did he win Top Teacher? I'd feel really bad if he didn't.
  7. latingal

Unfortunately he didn't, he specializes in one style of dance and therefore could not compete with pros that do multiple styles with multiples of ladies...

Don't think we saw him for a week after that comp. He was pretty much down for the count (he had scholarships and multidances after the single dances!).
  8. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I know this is for the ams to speak of their pros, but we do appreciate all of you, as well. In that vein, I would like to share a cute story.

A young lady, who later became a pro partner and is still a very respected teacher, was at her first comp. By sheer willpower, and some strategic tugging and pushing, she had overcome the stagtefright of her very first dance, and we were almost through it. She had waltzed very well, and I lined her up at one end of the floor to make one final pass before the judges.

I said, "You were great. They've probably already finished judging, so here's your most favorite move. Let's go!" We danced right to the front of the podium where we executed a flawless Fallaway and Rock. At the last step, she suddenly let go, and started yelling, "I did it! I did it!" I gasped at the judges (who were in hysterics), grabbed her hand, and said, " *&^!, Keep dancing...keep dancing!"
  9. latingal

OMG Angel HI! That is a priceless story! *LOL*
  10. latingal

And I think it's wonderful if pros who have great stories of pro-am comps would like to share here in this thread too!
  11. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Angel HI, that is a GREAT story. Thanks for sharing.
  12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

We had a local comp here where I watched Rainier Rics and our very own Josh do that. And they both kept their game faces on, and took care of their ladies on top of it. I was very impressed, and decided then and there, I ever got crazy enough to compete pro-am, it would be with one of those guys. (Not to mention, I'm also happy they supported our little comp, so I'd already decided I liked them!)
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i agree. adorable...
  14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes. thanks for sharing, angel. we only have a handful of pros here on DF who venture into sharing & dialoguing with the group. i really appreciate it...
  15. pnoisette

pnoisette New Member

More! More!

These stories are fabulous!:D
  16. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Once at a comp, my pro got food poisoning or flu and was up all night being sick. But he showed up on time and danced all day long--dance a few heats, go throw up, back to dance some more! He looked like death (and felt worse, I'm sure) but still danced with a lot of energy. It was nothing short of heroic. But he would not disappoint his students.

(I got hit with the same thing an hour after I got home--thank goodness, projectile vomiting in the airport would not have been fun. And the flu or whatever was no fun, either. I don't know how he did it.)
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow. impressive, WG. what a trooper...
  18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

and so nice of him to share it with you, *LOL*, now that's a PRO! :)
  19. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

LOL :p There is that! But I really think it was the food--eggs in particular. I didn't get sick until a few hours after the only time I ate eggs.
  20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

You've only had eggs once in your life?