Dancers Anonymous > Better Search Engine than Google!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jun 30, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I don't say this lightly, as I feel Google has clearly dominated for many years now. I remember back with Alta Vista was the best search engine, and then how Google took over the top spot. Well, now I believe for a number of reasons there is a search engine that really "bangs"! It is called DuckDuckGo (DDG). I have had it as my default search engine for a few weeks now, and it really is something special. In the past, I would try others only to find I was going to google.com again to do my searches.

Now with DDG as my default Google is just one of many possibilities, though I like the default DDG results the best because they are not clouded with ads. But if I want to use another search engine I just use a "bang". For example, if I want to search Bing for Dance Forums I type "!B Dance Forums" and it brings up the Bing results.

Want a Mapquest map of Idaho, type
    !mapquest Idaho
    Or I could use many others like
    !m Idaho
    !bm Idaho

As you get to know all the bangs you quickly find you have so much more power available. Here is a quite extensive list of all the bangs
    https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html

Enjoy!

samina likes this.
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

DuckDuckGo is also NOT storing your info, location, and searches.

samina likes this.
  3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

How do you know?

If you really really care about your privacy, you won't take someone's word for it, "You sent me something personal, and I neither peeked nor made a copy for myself."

I couldn't immediately find an investor relations page. I'll ask because I'm too lazy to research in depth: Does anyone see how they make their money?

PS

I wonder how many DDG users use the site while logged in to Facebook...

4. DanceMentor

It appears they take it seriously
    http://donttrack.us/
    Now if you are truly worried, don't use a search engine that is known to be connected with Prism like Google (instead check out Prism Break)

And I can think of a few more things like
    1. Use a VPN service like strong VPN to change your IP and do it often
    2. Disable cookies, and take other steps to keep your computer clean
    3. Don't login to Google accounts or other sites that require login (except keep logging in to Dance Forums!) :)

samina likes this.
  5. DL

DL Well-Known Member

None of that actually matters. (For example, the VPN service knows your IP address.) If you want your data to be private, don't send it over the internet. The more encryption you use, meanwhile, the more license the NSA apparently feels it has to peek, "just in case" you're trying to keep a communication with a non-US citizen secret.

Incidentally, how may FISA-related court orders have you complied with? I guess if the answer is "zero", then there's no reason you can't tell me "zero". But then, why should I believe you?

It's probably better just to adopt the habit that anything you send over the internet out to be self-moderated in roughly the same way that it would be if you were speaking to a friend in an elevator crowded with strangers. You rely on the fact that they pretty much don't care about you one way or the other, but it's not a place to talk about intimate life issues or plot a bank heist or something.

Also, seeing as we in the USA live in a democracy, we could also make data privacy a major election issue, and pick a government that (1) won't try to secretly engage in ubiquitous snooping and (2) will create and enforce policies we like on all cloud service provides. For (1) there's a trade-off between privacy and security, and for (2) there's a trade-off between privacy and advertiser-paid services. Privacy definitely has economic value. An informed public debate over both issues would probably be healthy and worthwhile.

Cynically, however, I think we're too apathetic an electorate to really do that seriously, and whether you use DDG, VPNs, or what-have-you, the trend of large-scale data collection by government and corporate entities will continue and accelerate. IMO it's probably better to see that for what it is that than to falsely convince yourself that you've somehow escaped it.

samina likes this.
  6. DL

DL Well-Known Member

*sigh*

s/out to be/ought to be/
    s/cloud service provides/cloud service providers/
    s/what it is that than/what it is than/

Apologies for proofreading so poorly in the first place.

7. DanceMentor

I think people, governments and businesses have to work with idea of there being an acceptable risk of transparency of their communications. It is still the wild west, and governments, criminals and many other entities are growing technologically faster than the law makers can study and pass laws. There are near unbeatable levels of encryption using today's computers but even that is not foolproof. I can understand authorities going to the very edge and beyond to catch criminals, just as criminals will do the same to avoid detection and capture. It is the wild west of massive data right now, and hopefully in time a greater understanding will lead to better laws and procedures that keep people safe without overly infringing on their privacy.

8. Larinda McRaven

In any case it returns different results than Google and so that is nice. Results that wouldn't normally come up, at least so high in a google search, show up rather soon with DDG.

9. Larinda McRaven

Pretty much sums up what is wrong with your government today. The more one tries to live away from the injustices the more one has a finger pointing at them. If I pay for things with cash it is because I simply don't want to pay bank fees and interest rates on checking accounts and credit cards. Instead of simply living freer of big bank control and saving my money, I get audited because I don't do things "their way".

Warren J. Dew likes this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

*sigh* If (as we are an international board), you live in the US, you live in a federal republic, not a democracy.

I get mostly the same/fewer results here than from a Google search (I know from Google and helping create the content there are more possible results for how I searched.) It's suggesting trying Google or Bing for more results....so I'd probably just Google it in the first place.

11. Larinda McRaven

I honestly had search results on DuckDuckGo, on my own name, that I have never seen come up on google. I would say that's pretty impressive.

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Notwithstanding DOI's subsequent (and correct) quibble, in a democratic system, if we think there's something wrong with our government ... it's us. Fairly few of us can even be bothered to vote. Most of the rest of us seem to somehow think "I voted" ought to align somehow with "The system is broken if things don't go as I think they should."

Of course we're all free to create PACs, do fundraising, join watchdog groups, correspond with our representatives, etc., etc. It's just that we mostly don't, plus we complain that it's unfair when others do. Even despite the spying scandal, in the USA we still retain all the liberties needed to choose the government that will serve us best. I personally spent exactly zero hours on such activities in the past year; and I don't know nobody who claims a higher number.

If, as a country, we in the USA want to make a big fuss over secret domestic spying and change the government because of it, we can. I think we probably won't, but I (for one) won't complain that the system is broken when A) we don't and B) we don't like the outcome.

Er, I see I hijacked, not to mention got up on a soap box. My next post will be on topic.

13. DL

DL Well-Known Member

This was sort of my personal feeling about the "bangs" mentioned in the OP.

14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Oh, a vi wise guy! :D

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Well, I originally got that habit from Perl. :)

16. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

This is a copout. In a constitutional democracy, there is more to government than dictatorship of the majority. To the extent that there is a problem with the voters, it is with the majority, not with all of us.

Speak for yourself please.

Tell that to folks who have to deal with an IRS audit because of which campaign they contributed to.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  17. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I think *that's* a copout. Don't just vote for your position. Persuade your fellow citizens of its merits. Surreptitious domestic spying is a pretty good issue for that in fact, because it's pretty orthogonal to currently-polarized religious, party-line, and other ideological axes.

On a dancing note, I take the same view of complaints about group classes: A class in which the preferences of classmates become aligned is better for *everyone*.

Well, I didn't get hard data, but my sense of things is that most US citizens don't. If you do, you're more diligent in your civic duties than I am, which I think is laudable.

My real point is that people do seem to whine/complain without doing that, and sometimes without even voting; but if they don't participate then what do they expect?

I don't know of a scandal like that. However I was taken aback by the issue of selective denial/delay of tax-exempt status for campaign groups of certain types. I think it's nearly as big a deal as the secret domestic spying problem, and we ought not to let one get lost in the wake of the other. There again I daresay the issue is orthogonal to ideology.

However notwithstanding that IRS misbehavior, we are all still free to elect a government of our choosing. Maybe we're doing it wrong, but still.

18. DanceMentor

Let's keep in mind that many great friends often share quite different political views, and we aren't here to get people upset with one another. As we get into politics, somebody is going to see things quite differently.

It's a complex world. What one person depends on for their life can shape their political views in a far different way than your own.

I just want to talk about DuckDuckGo.

19. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

What makes you think I don't?

20. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I meant that in a generic sense, not a personal one; sorry.

Anyway, I think the "privacy" aspect of DDG (or any cloud service) is a red herring.

I'm still curious how they make their money (but still haven't taken time to research it in depth).