Event Announcements > Big Apple Dancesport Challenge

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by CUballroom, Apr 9, 2007.

1. CUballroom

CUballroom New Member

Columbia University Ballroom Dance Team presents...

The Big Apple Dancesport Challenge

The Columbia University Ballroom Dance Team
    invites you to join us for our very own competition in
    New York City

Date: December 1st, 2007
    Columbia University
    New York City, New York

The Big Apple Dancesport Challenge will be a one day competition featuring:

* Competition events in all styles and all dances
    * Multiple nights of housing, for those that wish to remain and explore the city
    * The Starry Night Winter Showcase featuring a performance by a professional couple
    * A lively dancing social after the show

For more information or the most up to date news, please visit
    www.columbia.edu/cu/ballroomteam/competition

2. RhumbaWaltz

RhumbaWaltz New Member

Thanks CUBallroom. Will there be pro-am events?

3. Anna

Anna New Member

Ooh, good luck with that!

I don't know the schedule for next Fall, but I'd imagine Princeton will be there!

4. v-waltz-ing

v-waltz-ing New Member

Will Yale also be holding their competition that weekend?

5. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Last I heard, yes.....

6. v-waltz-ing

v-waltz-ing New Member

Uh-oh. Wonder which will be more popular...

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Big Apple for the NYC folks, Yale for NE folks. :)

8. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I'm just surprised; there's been an explosion of competitions in the NY area, but they practically universally choose the weekend of another very close competition to conflict with. I feel Columbia could have conflicted with Tufts or Brown for instance and had next to no impact on the registration figures for either comp, since very few people from NY attend those events and I doubt many Bostonians would go to Big Apple in its first year..... Whereas Yale pulls a strong group from both sub circuits....

I just keep feeling like the NY schools are cannibalizing their own subcircuit

9. basicarita

basicarita Member

I didn't even know Columbia had a Ballroom scene.

It's like those commercials ... "the more you know ..."

10. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I just heard from Yale that they've managed to work out a date swap with Tufts, thereby lessening the conflict. (I believe Tufts had ~ 4-8 NYers attending their event last year + the Yale team attending. So a Tufts/Columbia conflict is unlikely to affect Tufts at all and the NY teams won't have to choose between Columbia and Yale now, as long as they want to dance two weekends in a row.)

I would like to say I'm very impressed with how Yale has handled this conflict and think other schools can learn from them in terms of promoting a friendly cross-team communications, even on the sensitive subjects of date conflicts.

11. jumpingbeens

jumpingbeens New Member

Thanks, Eric. Just to confirm the rumors: Tufts has agreed to swap dates with Yale, so that Columbia and Yale will no longer conflict. Tufts has really helped Yale out of a tight spot, and we would like to thank them for keeping the interests of the East Coast ballroom world at heart. I hope the attendance at the Tufts competition will not suffer because of it.