Country and Western > Big Belt Buckles and Cowboy Hats

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by DanceMentor, Nov 10, 2004.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've notice that big belt buckles are quite common among two steppers. The are big and shiny, and the man often places his hand on his hip near the buckle as he turns the lady with the other hand.

I've also noticed that cowboy hats are common, and sometimes even used as a prop during the dance.

It's pretty cool to have this extra style and costuming. Do you find this common among people in your community who two step?

2. motardmom

motardmom New Member

I'll never forget the "cowboy" (doubt he'd ever been on a horse, but whatever) who held me so close during a two step that I thought I would walk away with a permanent imprint of his dinner-plate-sized belt buckle on my waist. I was getting a little tipsy on his breath.

Baaaad memory there. This happened about 10 years ago. I don't think he was a very serious dancer tho. Perhaps he was one of those guys loaded up on liquid courage... Too bad, his loss. I remember him vividly, he probably can't remember me. LOL

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Those belt buckles I just don't get. Maybe there's a genetic marker in cowboy DNA that makes them like those things. Eww! They just make me think of that Las Vegas guy ... what's his name? :doh: Wayne Newton. Now he carries off a huge buckle pretty well. But then, he's a Las Vegas entertainer. He's supposed to wear that kind of stuff.

4. Mt2stepper

Mt2stepper New Member

In my neck of the woods, (am I sounding country enough?) most of those big belt buckles are prizes from rodeos. The Cowboys are often awarded belt buckles for placing in a rodeo, the higher the place and the bigger the rodeo, the bigger the belt buckle. I think some CW dance contests award belt buckles for placing too. Most CW singers wear belt buckles and the old joke is that Charlie Daniels can pick up satellite tv stations with his, it's so big. Big belt buckles are also great for holding in the beer belly. I always figured the bigger the belt buck, the bigger the beer belly.

If you're going to dance in a honky tonk you need a shiney belt buckle, stacked wranglers, leather soled cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. Of the 4, the cowboy hat is probably the least important.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight M2stepper. :) I acn figure out most of what you have said, however what are stacked wranglers and how do they differ from regular jeans?

6. Mt2stepper

Mt2stepper New Member

You stack your wranglers by buying jeans that are 2 to 4 inches longer in the inseam then you normally wear. This causes the legs to bunch up or to "stack" at the bottom around your boots. The original reason to do this was to keep your pant legs from riding up over the top of your boots when you rode your horse or when you sat down. After a while it became one of those sure signs of a real cowboy or cowgirl. :wink:

I hope that explained it well enough.

7. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I do a lot of country dancing and there are quite a few cowboys that like the belt buckles and hats. I could probably safely say most of them are not real cowboys, seeing as we live in the city. But that's what makes going to a country night club fun. We all dance in a circle, wear boots and hats and play the part. It's like celebrating country western music. Most of us just love dancing two-step and other country dances and don't really need to dress the part. We also can dance quite of bit of West Coast Swing. Yes, there are a few drunken cowboys, but you'll find that in any bar, country or not. Don't judge everyone by a few bad examples. I love country dancing and it's fun to watch too.

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Heya dancergal, long time no "see" . . . so, how's everything by you? :D

9. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hi SD! I'v been really busy and just got newly engaged a few weeks ago! :D I decided to check out the forums today because I had a little time and couldn't resist the C&W post. Hope you're doing good. Gotta get going home. I'll stop by again next week.

10. pygmalion

I was wondering. Thanks. :D

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:cheers: Congratulations!!!! :cheers:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto! :D

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Absolutely correct! Great explanation.

I "used" to do that! Now I wear baggy "swing" jeans, swing shirts and dance sneakers to C&W bar dancing - a sort-a modern day cowboy????????? Nah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why not? Cause I can't stack those baggy carpenter jeans :wink:

14. pygmalion

*gasp* No boot cut Wranglers? :wink:

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

There have been times when I've worn very baggy jeans and my Evening Star boots . . . . can't beat 'em for 2 Stepping . . . or most C&W dances . . . I just can't WCS in them.

Hm-m-m-m-m . . . I posted in another thread about not being able to WCS to C&W music, and now I mention the same about the boots . . . I wonder, is there a connection???

16. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Hi Vince, long time no see! 8) I also bought Evening Star boots. Great to C&W dancing, terrible to WCS in, so I don't wear them since I do both when country dancing. My regular cowboy boots are fine to dance in at a nightclub, but at the dance studios, the floor is too slick and I have to wear my dance shoes. My Evening Stars don't get a lot of use.

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Care and I have wondered why we haven't seen you two at any of the UCWDC events . . . now I know! Congratulations!

I take it . . . Wayne . . . yes??? When???

18. dancergal

dancergal New Member

LOL! Yes, it's Wayne. :D We don't have a date yet, but sometime in the Spring. We're cutting down on going to the dance conventions because we trying to buy a house in AZ near his mother and move after we're married. But we did decide that we are going to go to the Monterey event in January.

19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You two make a great couple . . . Wayne is a great guy!

Hey, Monterey SwingFest would make a great honeymoon weekend! I just got the flyer for it this past weekend!

AZ??? Another couple moving to AZ. What gives with AZ . . . is everyone that tired (fed up with) of CA??? I know that I am, and we've talked about it. In fact Care is researching jobs in the Tucson area, and we've looked at houses there.

See you in January . . . save me a dance??? Sya "hi" to Wayne for us.

20. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Well, the main reason is that Wayne's mother lives there and we're moving to be close to her since her husband passed away early this year. The plus is that we can afford a nice house there and cost of living isn't as high as it is here. They have a big dance club in Phoenix and a few country nightclubs so we can still keep up with our dancing. :D

Hope to see you in Monterey too!