Dancers Anonymous > Big Fish in a Small Pond

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Sep 16, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Have you ever decided to go to a smaller venue to you could be a Big Fish in a Small Pond. I hope it doesn't sound bad, but sometimes I enjoy going to a guest party or a small studio and dancing. It's always fun being the star. Am I crazy?

On the other hand, if I go to a large competition, it's easy to feel like I'm just a number. Sure, I'd love to be the star their, too! But somehow I'm not sure if I'll ever reach that point.

It's kinda nice to have people come up to you and say, "Wow, you are so awesome!" And then I get to say, "Well, golly gee, thanks!" :D

2. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I would have to agree.

It's fun to go to big events and learn from others...be challenged and pushed to your limits.

It is equally as fun to go to a smaller event and receive compliments and additional encouragement for a job well done.

The key is to have a well balanced mix of both.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

That a good point. If everybody tells you you're great in the small pond for long time and then venture out to the big pond, you're probably in for a shock. :eek:

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I know exactly what you mean! Here in the Denver area I am one of the better dancers on the scene. When I go out to LA for my reality checks I find out how much work I have yet to do.

5. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I feel the same way. I like to be complimented and I also like to be pushed to my limit.

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I think I live this dichotomy almost daily. Take my Denmark trip for example... asked to demonstrate for the advanced salsa lesson at Showboat but also doing research at ÅS, the home club of 2 of 6 current world amateur Latin finalists, 1 of 6 current world amateur Ballroom finalists, and 1 of 6 current 10-dance finalists.