Ballroom Dance > Bill Davies Retired

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Mar 9, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Just got this announcement from USA Dance. Note : Was it always "USA Dance, Inc"?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

Yes.

http://usadance.org/about/our-history-and-activities/

3. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

:( I met and danced with him a few times. He is such a sweet man.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

He is a very nice person.. Always said hi to me when i saw him

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That says he's resigned as VP-Dancesport, not that he's retired.

6. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Bill Davies once addressed his group class in Ballroom Dance Theory, "If you (a serious dancer) are not competing, then you are merely wasting your time."

7. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Bill Davies is merely an .... well, I won't say what he is. Bill Davies doesn't get to decide that someone else who dances for a different reason than he does is wasting their time. That's up to the someone else to decide, it's their time to waste if that's what it is.

Personally, I think spending hundreds/thousands of dollars on costumes and entry fees to dance for 90 seconds at a time to be a waste of money. But I only get to decide that for myself, not for someone else. If someone else finds value in spending their money that way, then it's not a waste for them.

Dr Dance likes this.
  8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Resigned as in hissy-fit or resigned as in pursue higher priorities? LOL.

s2k likes this.
  9. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I've known Bill for over 50years. I can tell you this. he never "pulls " his punches.

He did a show for me in a Fla. comp. I organised in 1978. I had invited Binnick , to be chair of judges, and as expected, Bill got into an argument with him!!..guess who won..:rolleyes:..

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

I hope his resigning from USA dance is not for health reasons or due to undue pressure from the ndca ,but is to free up more time to coach and judge. And I have found the few classes I've taken with him to be very helpful.

11. Mr 4 styles

I'm sure Dr Dance is paraphrasing. As one who social dances and does showcases and competes I can say that taking on competitive dancing forces you to maximize all aspects of your approach to dance. Not just steps,patterns technique and choreo,but yourpersonal fitness,esthetic,diet crosstraining etc to become a dancesport athlete. You can be the greatest social dancer or show dancer but only the "threat" of sucking in competition will make you dance 4 minute per song latin rounds in a weight vest and ankle weights. That's more likely his point. Personally (and I've said this before ) mastery of social dance is the hardest skill set mentally. Competition dancing is hardest physically .

Dr Dance and Borazine like this.
  12. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

For Renata to have lost by literally 1 vote and then have this role vacant three months later frustrates me to no end. I know nothing about Mr. Davies' situation, and I do hope his resignation isn't for health reasons, but the entire time I've belonged to this organization it's been fraught with disorganization, with infighting, with a revolving door of leadership that would make incredibly popular reality television but doesn't help my faith that USA Dance will play a consistent and important role in the future of amateur dancing.

Loki likes this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Don't worry. I'll run next term

And I hope bill returns to judging at usa dance. He likes my dancing lol

14. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

So if one wants to be a great social or show dancer, the athletic aspects are unnecessary or at best of marginal benefit. OTOH, if one views dancing as an athletic activity, then Bill Davies is correct -- for that person.

For myself, my benchmark is that if I can get through a 3-minute Viennese waltz and still be talking, then I'm in good enough shape. Exercise is not a primary motivator for my own dancing.

Mr 4 styles and j_alexandra like this.
  15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Balance steps, my friend, balance steps.

j_alexandra likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

I didn't say unnecessary or of marginal benefit. Words in my mouth dude! Anyone who has ever danced all night till 6 am at a WCS convention knows it takes athletic ability and stamina not to mention perseverance . But the top level of exertion where it's do or die is in competition. Or spartan racing. My other hobby :D:eek::confused:

17. Mr 4 styles

3 minute vw is a good test. Add the 10 lb weight vest ankle weights wrist weight and a partner and you have one dance of the five of a top competitive standard couple practice. Seen it, done it. Hated it!

18. Mr 4 styles

Off topic sorry :beye:

19. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Bill Davies currently coaches a professional couple, dance instructors Yuko Oto and Kent Berkey, to prepare them for competition.

Mr 4 styles and DanceMentor like this.