Tango Argentino > Bizarro Teacher: Good, Bad and Ugly

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by jennyisdancing, Sep 7, 2007.

1. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

So the lyrics were written in their language, and they choose to ignore them. Pfffft.
    And these are the people who tell the rest of the world how to dance tango.

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I I don't agree with your last statement; I know one teacher who was firm with her students since she was ballet trained and used a fairly disciplined approach. Needless to say she wasn't very popular , although she was quite a nice person otherwise.

I have every sympathy with a teacher who cancels a class becuase not enough students turn up. While I have run classes where very few people have turned up - the hazard of having a drop in class- I prefer courses where people pay in advance and if they chose not to turn up then the class can continue and is financially viable.

3. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

I'm not getting it. Why cancel a class because of too few students? At this point the teacher has already paid for the studio room and there will be no refund as the studio can't find another teacher (and another group of pupils) in a matter of seconds. If too few people come to make the class profitable then the teacher may decide to cancel all the future classes that were scheduled for this day/hour, but what is the financial gain of cancelling a class that has started already? Saving the light bulbs and the audio tapes?

4. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

You don't agree with me? Now there's a surprise!!!

You can't compare somebody who is firm with their students using a fairly disciplined approach etc. etc. to that of one who is having a major sulk because their class isn't filled and so chooses to basically hold two fingers up at those who did make the journey and then rewarding them for having done so by cancelling the class. Pray, on what pigging prima donna planet do people like that reside. Get a pigging grip!!

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

There is a simple solution to the problem---- Its called REGISTRATION !

If you teach courses ( is not that what teaching , in most formats , are all about ? )

Ballet schools have done this ,from yr dot-- so have most dance schools in the u.k. ( never used to be ) times have changed , and the " casual " drop in, is inappropriate , time consuming and speaks to a very casual approach to learning.

Just about all institutions of learning, require pre registration . The advantages to the teacher and the student are , patently obvious .
    I have 5 week courses, some locally have six and eight . We ALL do very well with this system.

If people are not prepared to commit to at least that consistency-- they are to my mind-- wasting their money and my time !

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

...still won't make people show up on time...

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah but then it's not on you, it's on them if they're tardy.

8. Peaches

Well, yeah.

But the question of starting on time, or always starting 15 minutes after the published time, or whatever system a teacher has is not addressed by the idea of having people register. That's all. Registration might make them more prone to actually showing up, since they've paid for it already...but it won't necessarily make them show up on time.

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Why would you care if they show up on time? If the class is listed as being from 8-9, anyone who shows up at half past only gets 30 minutes of teaching.

10. Peaches

Fair point. Never thought of it that way.

Although I imagine it'd be pretty annoying (and disruptive) to have students walking in midway through...and making noise and whatnot...and then being lost about what's going on in class...

When my dad used to teach (not dance, obviously) he had a policy of closing the classroom door at the bell. He'd open it once, 5 minutes later, for any stragglers. After that...if the door was shut and the student didn't have a note...too bad...considered absent from class.

11. tangotime

A man after my own heart !!

12. Peaches

Yeah, but it's a different situation since he was teaching kids (high school) in a school setting with absentee policies. Most dance teachers don't have that kind of structure built in, and I doubt adults would put up with that. More of a "customer" than a "student" mentality.

13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Its called Self-Respect (Not that I have any) If I set a rule for myself that I won't start a class unless 12 people turn up its just unfortunate for those 11 who did. Otherwise you end up giving a private class for a pittance.

It was you who was advocating ruthlessness, after all. The lady protests too much, methinks, thinks I, I does.

14. tangotime

As Joe said-- their problem-- not mine , or my on time people .This also goes to the issue of " cancellation "-- no need , if pre booked .

I have to run my classes from a professional standpoint-- Frequently teaching back to back classes-- Each one starting on time .

I seldom have had any serious problems with this mode, over multi yrs of class work .
    If one worked in a chain school, as I ,and many have, classes MUST start on time-- the back log would never be addressed ,waiting for possible " no shows " . It is common courtesy and good manners .

I have enough problems scheduling lessons, and do not need to add to that already tiresome task .

15. pascal

pascal Active Member

Poor, poor teachers with their latecomer students...

For a change, the opposite situation. Sitges festival, class by Pablo Villarraza and Dana Frígoli scheduled at 17:15, me and two friends enter the room (it's 17:15), Pablo Villarraza who had another class there beforehand, (supposed to be finished at 17:00) is still demonstrating things. He notices us, we say we're here for the 17:15 class.
    "- Afuera!" he says without even looking at us then he continues his class.
    We go out (which btw is complicated because the building's entrance and exit are separate things, and to come back we'll have to walk a little in the streets)

The 17:15 class began near 17:35 which created us another problem later because we had another class after this one, with another teacher and in another place of the town. Fortunately Sitges is not a big city.

16. Tanguera

Tanguera New Member

Not always: if you take "A media luz" or "Se dice de mi", music and lyrics are not aligned; of course, if you take Tangos like "Mi Buenos Aires querido" or other Gardel ones, you find sorrow, nostalgia and suffering on a dramatic music.

I never said that all Tango music is about happiness. But you can't say the opposite: take "Asì se baila el tango" or "El choclo", for example, they are nice tunes with light lyrics on.
    What I meant is that you don't have to be sad to tango.

And don't you get pleasure in this? Isn't pleasure a kind of fun?

Forgive me: I misunderstood the post, I was suggesting how employ time before the later students come becouse I understood you were starting later to wait them.

Why not?

17. tangotime

I did not think I implied " one had to be sad ".
    And-- of course- different songs , bring different messages . We could say tango waltz , has a very " happy " feel to it.
    My point is more towards the appropriate expression-- no matter what the dance or the genre .
    Tango just happens to speak to me , as drama, and Q/ Step has the total opposite effect.

I am a believer, that music "sets" a mood , and
    I coach my couples, to hopefully interpret that, in their own way and style .

18. tangotime

That whole situation speaks to arrogance. Inexscusable , and bad mannered .

Paraphrase " Timelyness is the virtue of Kings " !

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Personally, i agree, I think in general, class should start when it is supposed to start. Exceptions that don't bother me are kind of intertwined. We rarely have teachers teach multiple classes in a row. Generally have private lesson with someone before group. So occasionally they will move group back a few minutes if their private was running late (privates are paid for, group lessons are free if yo'uve had private that week, so I certainly think a private should have some priority, particularly if it's jsut a few minutes). Second is generally hand in hand with first, that I am more likely to excuse class starting a bit late if it's teacher I already have a good relationship with, which applies for all the teachers at my studio right now except for a couple new ones who are jsut starting. But in neither case is it a matter of arrogance, and in first case in particular, they actually ARE doing what they should busienss wise. When classes are free, and privates are sure as heck not cheap, private should have a priority.

These same teachers though will generally NOT wait for someone who's late. If someone who is signed up for the class is running late, we'll start without them, at least when it's up to teachers. Occasionally if group is just me and one follow, and it's a male teacher, I'll ask for him to wait so I have a follow to dance with from start while we're working on the step.

20. tangotime

2 words --" Time management "-- to extend any lesson, without good cause, is equally as bad .
    In teaching, tis wise not to set precedents .