Ballroom Dance > Black Gowns (and other ways to shoot yourself in the foot)

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Chris Stratton, Jun 20, 2004.

1. IngaSv

IngaSv Member

Have seen (and worn) plenty of black dresses. I find there are no real "blending issues" despite not having stones because the dress material has a sheen to it, whereas the man's suit is more matte, so it's pretty clear that there are two people dancing together. Well-designed black dresses can be very tasteful and elegant, and if it suits the wearer's complexion, nothing wrong with wearing it. Just because a lady wears black doesn't automatically mean she wears it for a slimming effect.

I think if a person dances well (applies to both the lady and the man) they will stand out on the floor no matter the colour of the dress.

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Ah. You know the dancer in question. Close up, she's certainly good and charismatic enough to pull eyes. But from a distance, and I mean, a few seats back? Invisible. And on the live feed? Totally lost.

That live feed taught me some lessons about what really does show well on the floor.

FancyFeet likes this.
  3. j_alexandra

I beg to differ; that's my whole point. YMMV.

4. IngaSv

IngaSv Member

Could be a poorly designed dress? Or unfortunate choice of fabric (matte vs sheen)?

5. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I ALWAYS scored better in black. Not sure why? But, I think it carries a sort of seriousness. I remember reading somewhere long ago that Maria Manusova always work black because she wanted her dancing to speak for itself. Not all that frilly stuff.

Even watching videos, competition heats, etc...my eyes gravitate towards the couple where the lady is wearing a darker colored gown.

6. j_alexandra

Did you do Standard or Latin? My point strictly speaks to Standard, where no matter how good you are, black on black is not as visible as color on black.

As a Latin dancer, Maria's magnificent technique will stand out completely separately from her partner.

7. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I danced standard.

8. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I've not competed in standard for awhile... Most of my dresses are dark colors though. Even with a load of tanner on, I'm still very pale... In Latin, it actually makes my legs stick out more.

Mr 4 styles likes this.