Swing Discussion Boards > Blues Dancing vs. Blues Music

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by LindyLuv, Jan 11, 2005.

1. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

not if you heard me; i subscribe to the philosophy that anything worth doing is worth doing badly - and my previous experience with brass instruments (25 years & i only picked up sax recently) ) & the muscle memory tends to make my embouchre way too tight although i recently got some advice from a sax player (who used to play w/ray charles & says jamie foxx absolutely nails him in the movie btw) about opening the throat more to compensate which helped a lot...

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey Damon.

What's happening in Connecticut '05? Anything you care to post? :wink: 8)

And the "Bad ThingTM " cracked me up. Point taken, of course. I've just missed your sense of (somewhat sarcastic :lol: ) humor.

Okay. Guess I'd better go actually read the thread now, since I say I'm in this to learn something. :wink: :)

3. rails

rails New Member

I really like Corey Harris and you all should too. :wink: He did an album with Henry Butler that, come to think of it, I haven't listened to in too long a time.

A couple of CDs that always make me feel like blues dancing are Kansas City and Kansas City After Dark--Blues in the Dark, Pagin' the Devil, I Left My Baby, Froggy Bottom, Harvard Blues. Other songs on those discs make me feel like doing lindy, charleston and balboa. In fact, I pretty much always have imaginary dances while listening to them. Too bad I can't dance as well in real-life as I'm dancing in my head right now.

As far as LindyLuv's original questions about blues, d nice's answers are working for me.

4. pygmalion

I'll listen to Corey Harris. Gotta say I love the blues. Grew up on Blind Boy Fuller, so it may be a bit of a leap to the 21st century, but what the heck. I'll go for it. 8)

5. d nice

d nice New Member

Not Conneticut, but Cheap Thrills. A blues dancing weekend, workshops, dnaces, great live music (and I meant GREAT live music). All in St. Luois, MO. Sue has mentioned in this thread already. I'll post someting specific about it in not to long.

6. pygmalion

C.T. is cheap thrills? LOL. Looking forward to the ad. :D 8) :lol:

7. blue

blue New Member

When and where did people start doing blues dancing? I am not talking historical roots now, but post-lindy-revival-blues dancing.

8. d nice

d nice New Member

Impossible to say. In San Francisco we were doing it in '95 when the bands would play blues and torch songs. I know Chicago was doing it pretty early also.

Wednesday Night, Blues Night has been a fixture at Herrang since the mid to late ninties.

I don't think it is possible to figure out where the revival of blues a la lindy hoopers started.

The first person I had ever seen teach a proper blues lesson though was Steven Mitchell back in '96 or '97. Not long after Bill Borgida, Simon Selmon and I started teaching Blues in our workshops by request. The second year ALHC had a blues division (2000 I believe) was when blues from a lindy perspective was really taking off with couples really putting things together and presenting their artistic vision.

9. d nice

d nice New Member

Blues today is a very different animal with so many excellent instructors and dancers out there, (check out Cheap Thrills, ignoring my presence, the instrucotrs I can say very unbiasedly are some of the best around), putting so much thought and effort into propagating a living dance that is rooted in traditional steps and music but not restricted by what has come before.

It makes me very happy.

10. pygmalion

So how does one find good blues dance instruction? (Barring a trip to Saint Loius, of course) General swing or lindy are easy to find. But blues, not so much. And, from what I've heard, bluesm dancing would fit right into my pre-dance dancing history -- the dancing around the house I used to do as a child or teen.

So what gives? Where are the dance teachers? (Are there any in Texas? :oops: :lol: )

11. d nice

d nice New Member

Yep Jerry and Kathy Warwick are in Dallas, and are two great instructors. I highly recommend their classes.

If you need their contact info let me know.

12. pygmalion

Yay! PM me, when you get a chance. :D :D :D

13. pygmalion

Seriously. I just googled them. All I can find is workshops they've taught or are planning to teach. I've already tried the phone book under dance instruction, and they're not there.

Do they have a website?

14. blue

blue New Member

And at Herräng the blues theme is slow dancing. Not that anyone claims that this is what defines blues dancing; I guess it simply is what someone or some people wanted to have at the camp, so they started doing it. So it is very possible to arrange some blues dancing and go for the slow stuff...