Boleo

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bordertangoman, May 21, 2008.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdZAlvf8m7I

I am mystified by this (Especially as I don't speak Finnish); it looks very nice and very neo
    and in their other videos they dance nicely.

But I don't understand how its leading this moved; there doesn't seem to be any contra-rotation to get the boleo and it seems like he's moving downwar?

What do others think?

2. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I'm Finnish but speak very little. Try PM-ing Ron Obvious. I believe he's a Suomilainen.

3. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

There isn't any contra-rotation because this particular method of doing a boleo is "Rehearsed." That is, it can only be done, if the particular move is memorized. This boleo is done a lot by people who dance tango nuevo (neo.. whatever). You can't lead it, if your partner does not know what to do once the que (downward push) is done. It is very different from a the classical boleo, we know.

You would not be able to do this in a milonga unless your partner knew it before-hand.

4. bordertangoman

I will have to watch the videos again
    (and then find a follwer who knows the queues or develop telepathy)
    thinks:
    Peaches......boleo.........NOW!

5. Me

Me New Member

(I only speak English, so I may be misunderstanding the intent of this video.)

It would appear to me that this is an illustration of the lady's option to boleo when given the opportunity to create embellishment with the free leg. It appears from the video that he is stepping outside and creating a level change that stops the lady from transferring her weight to her back foot out of her ocho. She could just as easily bend her supporting leg and extend her left leg behind her, nicely pointed and to the floor, instead of executing a large boleo.

6. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

I would call the first "classical boleo" more of an adorno the way they were doing it. Leader goes past, follower responds to the torsion by sticking a leg in the air, since no physical step is involved.

You most certainly can lead those boleos in a more dynamic fashion, imparting angular momentum to the follower which manifests as a flying leg, but broken down and done stepwise in that video, none of that happens.

Leading a "downward" motion in my experience can lead the follower to extend a free leg while sinking on the standing leg. I suppose this is just doing it in the air, rather than on the ground.

RE: Ampster's point, all boleos have an element of rehearsal to them, since getting the mystical relaxed free leg requires much practice and balance.

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

.. think its not led at all. Its done by a command ;-)

8. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

Interesting - i have watched all the videos they have on youtube, and they have a consistent approach to how they approach any of the moves that commonly are lead by impulse and followed by having relaxed legs. Any change of the vertical plane invites the follower to activly lift/wrap her leg into a boleo, gancho or similar thing. The end result pretty much looks like tango, but it uses a completely different "technology".

But on the other hand, within their framework it is possible to lead these moves. Still, i don't really like it - it feels to me almost fake - like they imitate the surface shape of tango without using its core at all.

I don't think trying to push the ideas of tango into new directions is wrong- a more interesting example to me is el pulpo - he activly expands the vocabulary of tango into new directions, and he also modifies the baseline technique to achieve this. El pulpos style pushes the standard technique by using his thighs and feet as leading surfaces much more usual. The first time i went to one of his workshops i was uttely baffled because i didn't understand the underlying logic of the method he has developed. My first rection to this video was similar - my first impression was that this is utterly wrong from a technique point of view, but on the other hand it seems to work for them, and it seems he teaches a coherent system and his students probably have enjoyable dances with each other.

I am never sure where the border between "innovative technique" and "wrong technique" is. I am pretty sure i would not like dancing with a follower who used this approach, but then they wouldn't enjoy dancing with me either.

Gssh
    (rambling)

9. bordertangoman

are there vids of el pulpo?

10. bordertangoman

11. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Me's post #5 and Gssh's post #8 are very good. Though not always apropriate, these movements can be led either by execution or by opportunity. Again, even if the opportunity is given, it might not be apropos for the follower to do some sweeping abanico of voleo.

Secondly, re the Finnish vid, 1- many Argentines say that the Finnish have their own style of AT which is really not what the Argentines consider AT, and 2- the girl's technique is awful...especially since it is being presented as a teaching vid.

And, as a side note, Norberto's (Pulpo's) tango is awesome, I don't care what the purists say (and, also, despite what they say, he is very liked and respected in BsAs).

12. jfm

jfm Active Member

It looks to me like it's the way I'm always lead it i.e. an over turn where the momentum of the floppy leg carries the foot up into a boleo, but... because they've slowed it right down so viewers can see what he's doing she has to cheat and is mimicing the effect. If I felt a lead like that it might do a very tiny floor based boleo. I'm probably talking rubbish though, it's just my perception.

13. jfm

jfm Active Member

Ps are you sure it's finnish? they sound Norwegian to me but once again I'm probably being dim!

14. rui resende

rui resende New Member

its a very very subtil lead, the women as to be in the maximum conexion to perform those kind of movements.