Book Club

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by dlgodud, Jul 29, 2009.

1. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Is there any thread about what you are reading recently?
    If not, shall I start?

I am reading " Trunk Music" by Michael Connelly. Nothing serious.
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

actually there is one I think...it's called something like "what are you reading now"? Will look for it....if I don't find it TC probably will!
  3. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Haha...... I am sure TC will do.
  4. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

5. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Classical ballet technique (my legs are in a classical state of cramp at the moment so fat chance of pulling anything off like Swan Lake!) :(

Tap!

Tapworks

Digital Retro

The Red Shoes

Amiga Power magazines in the bath...
  6. CANI

CANI Active Member

The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything by Ken Robinson, PhD with Lou Aronica.

Great book – very enjoyable read with a style that made me laugh out loud at several points. I’d recommend it for anyone, and thought it would be particularly helpful for anyone who has or interacts with children and anyone who doesn’t absolutely love their profession.

It speaks about dance and dancers throughout – including a very compelling story about Gillian Lynne in the first chapter.

Extremely interesting read, great depth, and numerous excellent examples of how individuals found their “Element” – which the author defines, in part, as ‘the place where the things we love to do and the things we are good at come together.’

I particularly loved his view on intelligence – a broader view than is typical some educational institutions. It reminded me of the college I attended, which ‘weighted’ all courses the same versus some which give more credits for some courses than others. I loved that my freshman course in neuroscience and my friend’s freshman course in African Dance, were equally valued by my college.

I also loved that there was a quote, by aviator Wilbur Wright, that came very close to describing the feeling I love experiencing in dance. “…the sensation is so keenly delightful as to be almost beyond description. More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.”
  7. gracie

gracie Active Member

Someone gave me Hope Of The Wicked, but I haven't even looked at it yet.
  8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Re-reading Practical Magic, as bubble bath for the brain.
  9. CANI

CANI Active Member

This Time I Dance! by Tama Kieves

Highly enjoyable read. Written by a Harvard Law School graduate who left a high-profile, high-power career to find her true love (writing poetry, 'no I can't do that!'...and where it led...if you are this successful doing what you don't love, think how successful you could be doing what you do love...)...inspiring...her love of writing poetry comes through in her writing style...beautiful...I recommend for anyone interested in hearing the heart-felt details of a journey toward finding what you love to do for a living...not a self-help, follow-these-steps book...if you are in the job of your dreams, might not be for you...if not...check it out...lovely...
  10. Izzy20

Izzy20 New Member

haha some of you guys sound really scholarly. I still love YA scifi/fantasy so I'm reading going bovine by libba bray. 8)
  11. CANI

CANI Active Member

The Power of Kindness by Piero Ferrucci -- lovely writing style, thought-provoking, thoroughly enjoyable read.
  12. CANI

CANI Active Member

Recently read Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. - good book on nutrition -- better than many of the ones I've read in recent years. Introduction and endorsement by Mehmet Oz, who appears frequently on Oprah (or so I'm told).

Recently read the four books in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series -- cute, entertaining -- Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn
  13. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Alice Hoffman?
    I loved that!
    I just read her new one, The Story Sisters.
  14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Oooh, she has a new one? Great -- trip to library. Or maybe Audible; I have credits and a long trip coming up, good to have a book on the iPod.
  15. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

The Savage Wars of Peace by Max Boot. Just a little light reading...
  16. New in NY

New in NY New Member

On a roll with Richard Russo books - Bridge of Sighs, Straight Man, Nobody's Fool, and now Empire Falls. I plan to rent the movie once I finish the book.
  17. CANI

CANI Active Member

The Prophet by Kahil Gibran – written in 1923 – Gem of a book. Gorgeous writing. Thought-provoking. I don’t have the words to describe it to do it justice. I learned of this book through a post by Peaches.

When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times, by Pema Chodron. Spectacular book. I learned of this author from Larinda McRaven.

Don’t Bite the Hook: Finding Freedom from Anger, Resentment, and Other Destructive Emotions. Audio-book by Pema Chodron. Amazing. If you have a commute, great to listen to while driving. It wasn’t at all what I expected and I truly enjoyed it and have listened to it several times while in my car. A little excerpt from the back cover: “Life has a way of provoking us with traffic jams and computer malfunctions, with emotionally distant partners and crying children – and before we know it, we’re upset. We feel terrible, and we end up saying and doing things that only make matters worse. But it doesn’t have to be that way…”

Secrets of the Millionaire Mind. T. Harv Ecker. Enjoyed reading and the book came with a free attendance to a three-day conference which I also thoroughly enjoyed. I was introduced to this book by Josh.

I recommend all four of these books/audio books.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we do have a thread...currently I cannot find it ...TCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
  19. dcharmd1

dcharmd1 New Member

just started reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
  20. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst