Funstuff and Inspiration > Book Club

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by dlgodud, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Couple of other books on travel experiences by Richard Grant...

God's Middle Finger - About the author's experience traveling in the Sierra Madres in Mexico. Very dangerous place indeed.

American Nomads are from his interviews with different people who move around the country a lot.

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Interesting title for that first book, Spitfire...

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

The second book sounds interesting, too, as I bet these nomads have very different reasons for living such a life...

4. Spitfire

Yes, among them are a man who lives in a cave in the desert, cowboys on the rodeo circuit, some less than desirable people he gave a ride for.

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Very cool! :cool:

6. CANI

CANI Active Member

By Judith Orloff, M.D.? I have two of her books on my reading list -- I flipped through one, I think it was Emotional Freedom, and I was very impressed...

One book I read recently that I enjoyed very much is The Practicing Mind: Bringing Discipline and Focus into Your Life by Thomas M. Sterner. Lots of practical advice packaged in a clear manner with good examples. Less than 100 pages...worth the read IMO.

7. CANI

CANI Active Member

Now reading Refuse to Choose by Barbara Sher and How to Think like Leonardo da Vinci: Seven Steps to Genius Every Day by Michael J. Gelb -- both are excellent so far and just started The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How by Daniel Coyle...

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

CANI, that is correct...

9. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Read 127 Hours... truthfully, I didn't read it straight through.

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I hear the movie from that is great...

11. New in NY

New in NY New Member

How do you move Mount Fuji

12. Spitfire

Has anyone read Jack Kerouac's On The Road. This is the book that inspired the "beats" of the 1950's who were kind of a forerunner to the hippies of the 1960's. I've never read it myself, but have considered buying or ordering the book.

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Interesting title... :cheers:

14. CANI

CANI Active Member

How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less by Cal Newport

I would buy this book for any student entering college. It is excellent. I've used the strategies for a highly difficult exam I have coming up in June...and plan to use it for some other exams I may be taking in the following months.

The book is written by a college student who interviewed his fellow Phi Beta Kappa straight-A students from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Columbia, and a few others that are escaping me right now.

All of the ideas in the book came from these students -- in other words, tried and true strategies that were refined over their college careers and consistently produced straight-A results. The ideas are practical and they result in true learning and memory-retention.

There are many things I like about the book -- but what I absolutely loved -- and why I would so highly recommend it -- is it showed how these students, by studying in a SMART way, enjoyed robust college experiences (and all that entails) and did NOT pull all-nighters, or nose-to-the-grind-ignore-everything-but-my studies times.

Very impressive...

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes--I have that book! :)

16. CANI

CANI Active Member

Ah!! Cool! :D

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I love it!

18. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

I just watched it. Amazing.

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I have to do the same, WW! :)

20. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Thieves of Baghdad by Matthew Bogdanos
    Marine Colonel's account of heading a team to find antiquities stolen from the Iraqi Museum in 2003. The author spoke at my son's school and son was so enthused when retelling the story that I went out and got the book.