Funstuff and Inspiration > Book Club

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by dlgodud, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That sounds very interesting! :cheers:

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I am enjoying Hello, Android a classic primer for learning how to get started in developing Android mobile phone software applications...

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yesterday, I picked up a couple of commemorative special editions of Newsweek and Life about this past April's royal wedding of Princess Kate...

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Beginning Android Games--for info on fundamentals for developing Android game phone apps...

5. CANI

CANI Active Member

Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray. Just at the beginning, but enjoying it so far...

6. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Disagreeing without Being Disagreeable: The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense

So excited to study this. Also got from the library, The Power, by the author of The Secret.

7. wonderwoman

Well the above ended up not being exactly what I was looking for... too much of an academic tone... need something more practical... The topic I'm interested in is assertiveness, if anyone could give recommendations.

Now I am reading 101 Lies Men Tell Women, and why women believe them
    At the beginning there actually is a list of 101 things men say but don't mean, and I've heard 59 of them, and I'm only 26. Sheesh.

8. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

A good book about little known geographical facts in a historical context: Whatever Happened to Tanganyika?: The Place Names that History Left Behind...

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

The Android Developer's Cookbook...

10. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

I read fiction, arts and romance. Only managed to read 'Dear John', 'Mao's Last Dancer' and 'The Last Song' this year. Was hoping to add more...any suggestions?

11. CANI

CANI Active Member

Reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness -- was recommended to me by a friend...enjoying it!

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Borders is going out of business; too bad, one of my fave places to shop, but at least Barnes and Noble will be around.

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, I agree, Spitfire! They say that the Internet and e-books have greatly impacted not only hardcopy books but also newspapers...

14. Spitfire

They will be selling things for as much as 40% off. I'll have to shop there one last time.

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Me too! :cool:

16. Spitfire

Was at the one here just about 90 minutes ago Ray; expect a crowd and long checkout lines.

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Two of our major chain bookshops - Borders and Angus & Robertson - have closed down in most places. Now we've only got Dymocks left.

Dymocks is awesome, though.

18. CANI

CANI Active Member

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron...absolutely gorgeous book. I love it. I highly recommend it to anyone, really, and especially anyone involved in any way in an artistic pursuit (ballroom dancing...writing...photography...). It may not be everyone's cup of tea -- of course, it likely isn't -- but it certainly IS my cup of tea!

19. CANI

CANI Active Member

Read Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi. I saw Portia de Rossi on the show Ally McBeal many, many years ago. I thought it was fascinating to learn about what she was going through while she was on that show. Kudos to her for having survived. It is heart-wrenching, but an interesting read.

Now reading, Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr

20. wonderwoman

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

It started out pretty good, and got really interesting by the middle, and then it took a dive in the second half. With the intent of adding an unexpected plot twist, it managed to disappoint and disillusion me, so I really didn't care what happened in the end, in fact after I certain point I figured what was most likely going to happen. *shrug*