Funstuff and Inspiration > Book Club

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by dlgodud, Jul 29, 2009.

1. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I will be the second for this. Persuasion is my second favorite after Emma.

2. New in NY

New in NY New Member

The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst
    I started off reading his Night Soldiers, but it was not keeping my interest at all, so I switched over to Spies of Warsaw. A better read, but still not my cup of tea.

3. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thanks! I actually picked up both Mansfield Park and Persuasion at the library today (I think I have both books, but they must still be at my parents' house)...so I think I'll be reading both as I travel later this month. :p

4. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I liked Mansfield Park as well. But, somewhat a little bit different from other masterpieces of hers. I don't recall the other one, which was totally insane(???).:p

5. CANI

CANI Active Member

The Seven Levels of Intimacy: The Art of Loving and The Joy of Being Loved by Matthew Kelly. I was given this book by a remote acquaintance and there were so many times I wanted to abandon reading it, but kept going to the end. It was not my cup of tea on so many levels. One positive I can say is the author does appear to be genuine in wanting people to be, as he often repeated, “the-best-version-of-themselves.”

A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism by John A. Buehrens and Forrest Church. This is another book I’d selected to explore Religion/Spirituality. It was a fascinating read. It was only in the past few months that I learned that Unitarian Universalism existed – and yet it’s been around for so very many years. I very much enjoyed reading it…much to ponder for my journal…

My friend Jackie was raving about two authors Esther and Jerry Hicks – so I selected two of their books, The Law of Attraction and The Astonishing Power of Emotions, which we’ll discuss when I see her in the coming weeks. I’m starting with the Law of Attraction and can honestly say so far (only on page 22) it is unlike anything I’ve read before. This one will definitely count in the expanding my thinking/exploring my open-mindedness to new ideas…should be interesting…

6. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Just finished rereading Georgette Heyer's Beauvallet. I found all of her books when I was teenager and love her humor and writing style. I don't care for her historicals or crime/suspense novels, but love her romances.

If she were alive today, I think she would be a move screenwriter writing blockbuster action movies, romantic comedies AND dramas.

7. CANI

CANI Active Member

I finished the Esther and Jerry Hicks books, Law of Attraction and The Astonishing Power of Emotions. I thought they were both very interesting and had ideas I could put to use. I didn’t agree with some parts of both, or more accurately stated as, I don’t agree as of now; will be fun to see what I think upon further reflection and as I discuss with the friend who recommended these authors.

I listened to Pema Chodron’s audio-book, How to Meditate. I found it intriguing. I’d never meditated and this was 5 hours worth of instruction. Meditating has not, yet, been my cup of tea, but I’m going to give it good go. So many people I know and authors I’ve read and respect recommend it. I found the instruction to keep your eyes open fascinating – I’d always thought one meditated with one’s eyes closed. However, as I’ve come to know, there are different types of meditation for different intentions. Everything I’ve read or listened to by Pema Chodron I’ve loved, and this was no exception.

I read Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life by Marshall B. Rosenberg, Ph.D. I learned of NVC from a post made by bordertangoman. I found it engaging and eye-opening. I have to admit, before I started it, I thought that it would recommend communication that would contradict other readings I’ve done recently, but I was extremely positively surprised. There was much to learn and incorporate in my life from this book. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on how this process relates to how we treat ourselves. Dr. Rosenberg is the founder of an international nonprofit peacemaking organization – if you want to check it out, the web-site is www. CNVC.org (delete the space)

I just started a book Josh recommended to me, Harmonic Wealth by James Arthur Ray and, for my car travels, a 12-hour audio-book, Understanding the Fundamentals of Music, by Robert Greenberg (I’ve only listened to the first lecture – and he is a trip! Hysterically funny at times and clearly passionate – I can’t help but smile while listening.)

8. style

style Member

The Secrets of Mental Fascination by Theron Q Dumont. A book on personal develoment. Goes deep into the mind. Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. A easy to read book on how the mind works with lots of real life experiences.

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

just re-read grapes of wrath...

10. CANI

CANI Active Member

I finished the book, Harmonic Wealth by James Arthur Ray, which I mentioned Josh had recommended to me. I thought it was excellent. A great book to challenge your thinking across the areas of your life. I didn’t find the chapters on physical as helpful as the others. However, I thought it was interesting that he mentioned the emotions that can be released through Rolfing, which, IIRC both samina and j_alexandra have commented on in other threads. The book made me think about quite a number of things in a new way and I’ve decided to adopt some new approaches as a result of it, which, for me, is a sign of a good book. I also enjoyed his down-to-earth writing style and the exercises throughout.

I read the works of Florence Scovel Shinn – The Game of Life and How to Play It (1925), Your Word is Your Wand (1928), The Secret Door to Success (1940), and The Power of the Spoken Word (1944). I learned of this author and her works through a post made by AngelHi. All of the books contained many useful perspectives. Some parts challenged my thinking in a good way, and for other parts I need to reflect some more before I’m ready to say if I agree with what was written. I particularly enjoyed The Secret Door to Success. I am especially thankful for one new, important-for-me, perspective I gained from the books, which in and of itself, made reading them very worthwhile.

I read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Loved it! I learned of this author and this book in The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything book, which I’ve written about in a previous post. The author’s journey in becoming an author is fascinating, and is described in The Element. He covers so much, so succinctly. I will not be surprised if its message stays permanent etched in my mind. Just oh-so-good!

I read Take the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears by Pema Chodron. An absolute must-read IMO!! A tiny little book of not even 100 pages – but so powerful and amazing.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

CANI, you've been dipping your toes into some of my favorite waters. my favorite New Thought author is Ernest Holmes. an ambitious read you might want to consider if you become inclined to get more deeply into that sort of thing is his book "Science of Mind". it's a masterful work that can take many months to savor, and is just brilliant, although it requires navigating and being okay with the use of Christian language (not everyone's cuppa...). he is for me the most precise, comprehensive metaphysical writer. he also has a very sweet little book called "Creative Mind & Success".

one of the founding New Thought authors is Charles Haanel with his book "The Master Key System". that book was the inspiration for a number of writers who came later, such as Napolean Hill and his "Think and Grow Rich". both these guys pioneered the "Law of Attraction" concept around 100 years ago. their writing is more formal, and extends from a different culture, but i have found them a pleasure and very valuable to study.

the abraham-hicks book "Manifest Your Desire: 365 Ways To Make Your Dreams A Reality" is a gem. that and The Alchemist are my two faves to recommend to people who are beginning to explore this type of reading.

you seem on a roll, thought i'd add some more suggestions for your list. :)

12. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thanks! I've already read Creative Mind & Success (post #30 in this thread). I did flip through Science of Mind -- and considered it strongly -- and then told myself to get through more of my book list, before getting into that one. I have to say -- it was intriguing -- and I may still read it. The version I saw had a plan for studying it bit by bit for a year.

I haven't heard of Charles Haanel. I will check that out. I've read a newsletter from the Napolean Hill Foundation for a few years. And either this month or next I'll be reading "Think and Grow Rich" -- it's been 'on the list' for a bit now.

Great - thanks!

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

aah... there it is. yes, such a sweet book.

another one in the New Thought group: Robert Collier's "Secret of the Ages". all these guys were the LoA pioneers, which most people mistakenly think of as the domain of "The Secret" and Abraham-Hicks. i so enjoy reading that older language. studied the Christian Science texts for years as well... that's very similar, but more extreme, and very formal.

14. CANI

CANI Active Member

Great - thanks

15. CANI

CANI Active Member

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. i learned of this book when Larinda had the agreements in her signature line. Very nice. Can imagine how one's life could truly change by any effort to live by these agreements.

Being Perfect by Anna Quindlen. She has an amazing ability to cut to the heart of a matter in such a tiny book. A friend had given me Anna's book, A Short Guide to a Happy Life, shortly after I lost my mother to ovarian cancer (Anna also lost her mother to ovarian cancer). It's a lovely book as well.

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. I was reminded of this book by a post by fascination. Last I read it was in French in high school or college. Cute. Good points.

I've just started Zen Body-Being: An Enlightened Approach to Physical Skill, Grace, and Power by Peter Ralston. I learned of this book from a post by dancepro.

16. New in NY

New in NY New Member

I am just starting The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

17. CANI

CANI Active Member

A couple of months ago, my sister gave me Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love. I just started and am about a third of the way through it. I love it. Absolutely gorgeous. This is the first book I've read from this author and I can't put it down. Such a great writer. It's made me laugh out loud, it's made me cry. I'm not even half-way done and I already know I'd recommend it. There really aren't words for how much I'm enjoying this book.

18. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I read this as well and really enjoyed it! It's been awhile so it's a little fuzzy now. I hope you enjoy the other 2/3 as much as the first 1/3!

19. CANI

CANI Active Member

Thanks!

20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I've been slowly working through this book called Speed Reading for Dummies... :p