Funstuff and Inspiration > Book Club

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by dlgodud, Jul 29, 2009.

1. CANI

CANI Active Member

ok - that made me laugh out loud! I have a huge book - by Mortimer J. Adler (I enjoyed his 6 great ideas PBS series when I was a kid), called How to Read a Book and I've had it for years -- on the one hand I'm thoroughly intrigued knowing Adler's work to see what he has to say...and on the other hand I can never seem to choose to read it over another book...methinks it is time to make a decision and donate the book...or read it.

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Working through Interactive Computer Graphics, by Edward Angel. But because it is the required textbook for my class. It is very dense, so I am glad that the instructor knows how to explain things in simpler terms!

3. Eliska

Eliska New Member

Loved the Time Traveler's Wife... and for easy beach reads (girls), I'd recommend The Art of French Kissing and Italian for Beginners. I'm also a huger Harry Potter fan and will never stop reading them no matter how old I get. One of my more favorite book series though that I just read, was the Tudor Series by Philppa Gregory.

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Eliska, I know that a movie can scarcely come close to a beloved book, but I got drawn into The Time Traveler's Wife last year in the cinema. I have been a fan of Rachel McAdams since even before The Notebook; and I have liked Eric Bana in most of his movies, such as Munich and Blackhawk Down. And he was perhaps the best thing in Troy from several years ago. A lot of people don't know that he's from Australia, one of the richest sources of our actors and actresses right now...

5. Eliska

Eliska New Member

Yeah if you watch Funny People he actually talks in his normal accent, but at first I thought he was acting being Australian. Go figure lol

6. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, I saw Funny People, too--speaking of Adam Sandler...

7. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

The Time Traveler's Wife sounds good. I need to hit up a used book store when I get home.

8. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Wow, OpenGL brings back memories!! Once upon a time I got a degree in Computer Graphics and Animation. That stuff is seriously dense. I feel for you :friend:

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, ireniecat, you can relate. I do have to study things over and over and over for things to sink it!

10. Eliska

Eliska New Member

Yeah if you like it, then you will probably like Sundays at Tiffany's as well by James Patterson.

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Eliska, though it's rarely if ever a fair comparison, did the movie compare favorably to the book (The Time Traveler's Wife)? I did enjoy the movie, once I got onto its wavelength; and I am a fan of both Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana...

12. CANI

CANI Active Member

I recommend The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance by W. Timothy Gallwey. My thanks to teotjunk for recommending this book in a post. It is an easy and quick read, well-thought out, and with a clear structure and excellent examples.

This evening, I tried out my learnings from the book on something I've been struggling with in my double reverse spins in waltz. It produced the smoothest, most natural-feeling, balanced double reverse spin I've been able to do thus far...and I repeated it several times. I am extremely pleased. Of course, this is me practicing alone, so I won't know for 'real' until I dance it with a partner, and especially have it evaluated by my teacher. However, I can definitely sense when I've made progress with something, and there is no doubt, I've made progress.

I join teotjunk in strongly recommending this book.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

congrats on that CANI

14. CANI

CANI Active Member

thanks! (and hope you got in some smooth STAT after those spirals...;))

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

The lessons of this excellent book extend beyond tennis--but I also actually used it for tennis...

When I lived and worked in the Silicon Valley (across from the corporate HQ for Yahoo), there was a stretch of time when I played tennis nearly everyday. What an addiction!

Tennis--as with dance and other human endeavors--can be seen as a metaphor for life, too. If you are not careful, you will hit the ball in the net; if you are not assertive enough, you will not get the ball over the net. If you are too aggressive you will hit the ball out of bounds.

With the right balance, you will keep the ball in bounds. But to win, you will need some luck (where so often, preparation will have a chance to meet opportunity); you will need to practice; and of course you will need to outplay your opponent.

And, like life, tennis is a game of racket and "Love"... :)

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

a friend gave me a copy of "little Bee"...am just now beginning that one

17. CANI

CANI Active Member

Read How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill. While the writing style wasn't my cup of tea, I did enjoy the book. It has many nice moments and some good reminders of the important things in life. If you are a Starbucks fan, you might really enjoy it in particular. It takes you inside the values of the Company and the expectations they have for their employees. I especially enjoyed that thread throughout.

I am nearly finished with Unbearable Weight:Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body by Susan Bordo. I learned of this book from a post by ChaChaMama. Definitely eye-opening and thought-provoking. I haven't read a book quite like this in some time. It was a fun reminder, in some ways, of college days. Just to give you a sense of the writing, here is one sentence..."Many feminists remain agnostic or ambivalent about the role of biology and sexual "difference"; justifiably fearful of ideas that seem to assert an unalterable, essential female nature, they are nonetheless concerned that too exclusive an emphasis on culture will obsure powerful, and potentially culturally transformative, aspects of women's experience.":D I got a kick out of it. ChaChaMama probably reads books like this all the time...me, not so much. ;) All kidding aside -- it was fascinating -- and I'm very glad for what I've read and I'm sure more good is to come in the last bit I have left to read.

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

A History of the World in Six Glasses

I love history books (and beverages!). I've been enjoying A History of the World in Six Glasses--a real page-turner!

Amazon says: "Standage starts with a bold hypothesis—that each epoch, from the Stone Age to the present, has had its signature beverage—and takes readers on an extraordinary trip through world history. The Economist's technology editor has the ability to connect the smallest detail to the big picture and a knack for summarizing vast concepts in a few sentences. He explains how, when humans shifted from hunting and gathering to farming, they saved surplus grain, which sometimes fermented into beer. The Greeks took grapes and made wine, later borrowed by the Romans and the Christians. Arabic scientists experimented with distillation and produced spirits, the ideal drink for long voyages of exploration. Coffee also spread quickly from Arabia to Europe, becoming the "intellectual counterpoint to the geographical expansion of the Age of Exploration." European coffee-houses, which functioned as "the Internet of the Age of Reason," facilitated scientific, financial and industrial cross-fertilization. In the British industrial revolution that followed, tea "was the lubricant that kept the factories running smoothly." Finally, the rise of American capitalism is mirrored in the history of Coca-Cola, which started as a more or less handmade medicinal drink but morphed into a mass-produced global commodity over the course of the 20th century. In and around these grand ideas, Standage tucks some wonderful tidbits—on the antibacterial qualities of tea, Mecca's coffee trials in 1511, Visigoth penalties for destroying vineyards—ending with a delightful appendix suggesting ways readers can sample ancient beverages."

[​IMG]

19. CANI

CANI Active Member

I mentioned two books in the Enlightening Conversations thread -- If I did it right, you should be able to click on the blue arrow to read what I wrote about them in that thread should you have an interest.
    I have really enjoyed the audio-book Unconditional Confidence: Instructions for Meeting Any Experience with Trust and Courage by Pema Chodron. Of course, at this point, it should be no surprise that I heartily recommend Pema's work and this was no exception.

While not exactly a 'book', there are two wonderful audio-programs This I Believe and This I Believe II. They are a series of 500-word essays, read by the authors, of -- wait for it -- of what the authors believe!;) The essays were originally read on public radio. The authors range from high school students, a drug addict, writers such as Eve Ensler, singers such as Mary Chapin Carpenter, Colin Powell, and on and on. The diversity is amazing and the essays are touching and thought-provoking.

At the moment, I'm re-reading/finishing Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living by Pema Chodron;) and The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science by Norman Doidge, M.D. As is probably obvious by now, I often have more than one book going at a time -- especially when I want to reflect and or write about a chapter in a book before proceeding.

I learned of The Brain That Changes Itself from a post by Larinda. It is an incredibly fascinating book. I was not at all informed on the current knowledge in neuroscience and, for me, it has been the equivalent of a change from believing the earth is flat to understanding it is round (although I must say I was never alive in the period where people believed the world was flat!!!). I think the information in this book is highly important to understand and it is written in a very accessible way. If you don't enjoy reading, I recommend checking out the 1-hour PBS DVD The Brain Fitness Program which includes Norman and many of the scientists he highlights in the book. The DVD also clearly outlines the steps you can take to keep your brain healthy. The reality is, much (not all, but much) of what we associate with 'old age' for our bodies is a result of how we have treated our bodies, not old age. Similarly, much (not all, but much) of what we associate with declining mental capacities in old age, is, again, not really because of old age but because of how we are treating our brains. I definitely recommend checking out either the book or the DVD.:D

20. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

My favourite book. Ever.

So beautifully written. Wonderfully told. And still makes me cry every time I read it :(