Funstuff and Inspiration > Book Club

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by dlgodud, Jul 29, 2009.

1. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Yes, it was a beautiful and moving book.

Coincidentally, I am now reading The Good Thief.

2. dcharmd1

dcharmd1 New Member

i'm reading flashforward right now, started watching the tv series but kinda lost interest after the fourth episode, but so far i'm still intrigued with the book

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

4. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

I have that but I like cook books with pictures :)

5. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yeah, the "See Food Diet". ;)

6. Keith & Rita

Keith & Rita Member

Love & Bullets by Mary Kate Kopec
    This is a plug for my cousin who had her first book published in January. If you are in to romantic novels Rita highly recommends the book. It can be found on Amazon.
    We will make our annual trip to Siesta Key next month and I plan on reading it while at the beach.:cool:

7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Lioness and New in NY, thanks for the recommendation!

:cool:

8. dcharmd1

dcharmd1 New Member

just finished reading flash forward, i liked the beginning of the novel but not quite impressed with the end, maybe because i had a hard time understanding about the complex physics stuff, but i would be open in reading some other science fiction works of the author

9. CANI

CANI Active Member

Reading The Magic of Thinking Big by David J. Schwartz, Ph.D. -- enjoying it.

10. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

In the background, I've browsed a provocative book called War Is a Force that Gives Us Meaning, by Chris Hedges. It centers on the psychology that make humans keep going to war. It has a very strong, unsettling message...

11. CANI

CANI Active Member

I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali with Delphine Minoui -- I recommend it, most definitely. Inspiring and a good reminder/eye-opener of the unbelievable hardships (although that word doesn't even do it justice) in the world.

12. CANI

CANI Active Member

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John D. Ratey, MD with Eric Hagerman

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

At the college bookstore yesterday, I found a beautiful just-published hardcover book called Clint: A Retrospective, "a lavish tribute to [Clint] Eastwood’s singular career", as Amazon puts it.

It has lots of great pictures, and covers Clint's entire career as both actor and director all the way to last year's nicely done Invictus...

14. CANI

CANI Active Member

The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self by Deepak Chopra, Debbie Ford and Marianne Williamson

and

The Hidden Messages in Water by Masaru Emoto

15. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Reading The Power of Now. Obviously not feeling it lately. lol

16. dcharmd1

dcharmd1 New Member

Just ordered Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief from the library, I actually liked the movie

17. CANI

CANI Active Member

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert. Loved it.

Now reading:
    One Small Step Can Change Your Life: The Kaizen Way by Robert Maurer, Ph.D.

and

Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

reading Omnivore's Dilemma ...just now dipping into it but it is fascinating

19. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Still trying to break my legs with 'Classical Ballet Technique'.

It even teaches you how to smile but I look like I'm going mad! No, no pictures :D
    Hmm maybe I need to put some flag stones on either leg to make them go flat!!

20. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Don't hurt yourself!

I read The Help, and I really liked it. I remember those days, Kennedy's election and all. We had maids until I was 12. It was just a fact of life. Billie didn't raise us, but she was there full time. (My Mom was a teacher.) My brother remembers that she told him as a white boy, he could grow up to be whatever he wanted.