Funstuff and Inspiration > Book Club

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by dlgodud, Jul 29, 2009.

1. CANI

CANI Active Member

Recently read:

The Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz

Practicing Peace In Times of War
    Getting Unstuck: Breaking Your Habitual Patterns & Encountering Naked Reality (Audio book)
    The Fearless Heart: The Practice of Living with Courage and Compassion (Audio Book)
    -- all by Pema Chodron

Complaint-free Relationships by Will Bowen.

Now reading: Cool Mind Warm Heart: Adventures with Life’s Biggest Secret…

I recommend them all! I learned of Pema Chodron, Don Miguel Ruiz and Steve Roberts through Larinda.:D

2. CANI

CANI Active Member

Read Beyond Positive Thinking: A No-Nonsense Forumula For Getting The Results You Want by Dr. Robert Anthony. I learned of this book from Josh. (The audio version of this book is read by Dr. Joe Vitale.) It is definitely worth the read.

Now reading The Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki. I learned of this book from madmaximus. I'm already enjoying it so much and since it has 1,135 pages, it should keep me busy for a while! :D

3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I recently read the following, and would recommend all:

"Innocent Traitor", a book about Lady Jane Grey, who was Queen for nine days

"The Virgin's Daughter", a book about Queen Elizabeth I, told from the point of view of two of the ladies of her court

"His Last Letter", a book about Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley

I am currently reading the following:

"The Red Queen", a book about Margaret Beaufort, the founder of the Tudors

"Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me", 8th edition, a guide to skin and makeup products from numerous brands

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I finished reading "The Red Queen." I would recommend this fictional book if you are into reading about all things Tudor.

I am currently reading "The Lady Elizabeth", another fictional book about the life of Elizabeth I up until the time she becomes Queen.

5. v22TTC

v22TTC New Member

'Desolation Island': Book 5 in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series (like Hornblower but not cack...).

Impossibly beautiful sailing vessels and a time of courtesy and honour... plus real friendship... sigh....

Sigh....:D

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I am currently reading "The Boleyn Inheritance", a book told through the viewpoints of three women: Jane Boleyn, Anne Boleyn's sister-in-law; Anne of Cleves, Henry VIII's 4th wife; and Katherine Howard, Henry VIII's 5th wife.

7. New in NY

New in NY New Member

The Alchemist by Paul Coelho

8. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Love that period in Japanese history! I only read excerpts from the Tale of Genji, but I've been to the Tale of Genji museum in Uji :)

9. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I don't know if any of you are dorks like me... I used to keep track of my books in an excel spreadsheet. I had categories based on topic, what I would recommend to others, what I intended to read, etc.

Recently a friend introduced me to LibraryThing, and it's way better than my spreadsheet! You can create libraries, assign tags and ratings, find other people with similar reading lists, read reviews, etc. So if you like to keep track of that stuff, you might find it way handy:

http://www.librarything.com

Note: if you've used Shelfari, this is better!

10. CANI

CANI Active Member

Yes, indeedy, I'm a dork by your definition! I will check out Librarything. For years, I've used BookBagPlus which is on my palm so I can add things on the go, and then I sync it with the computer version. It is great -- has ratings, categories, what you've read, when, little description, if you loaned books to someone, what books you want to read, many customizable fields, etc. etc. However, I will say -- I'm not an up-to-date techy person. I've had my palm for about 10 years I think, and have been using this program almost as long! I definitely haven't seen the latest and greatest with these types of programs, so I will check out your link. Here is the link for BookBagPlus:www. wakefieldsoft.com/bookbag (delete the space)

Purr, I love the Tudors! I watched so many PBS shows on the monarchy, particularly ones about that period, when I was a kid. I will have to check out some of these books!

New in NY, I hope you enjoy The Alchemist -- I certainly did!

11. CANI

CANI Active Member

Wow!!!!:D

12. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Wow! Didn't realize they had such programs for mobile devices that long ago. I'm impressed. Although I have neither a Palm, Blackberry or PC (mac here), so I'll be sticking with LibraryThing, which is web-based.

13. CANI

CANI Active Member

The Boys of the Dark: A Story of Betrayal and Redemption in the Deep South by Robin Gary Fisher, Michael O'McCarthy and Robert W. Straley. About real events...make sure you can stomach it before you read it...it was rough, but well-worth the read. Mind-blowing in many ways.

Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Rom Brafman and Ori Brafman. Also, mind-blowing in many ways -- some of which I'd heard before, but not all. A must-read IMO.

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

About 90% done with A Thousand Splendid Suns. As good as the author's other book (The Kite Runner.) So good. So horrifying, and strangely beautiful. I kind of feel sick to my stomach just thinking about some of the things...which are dealt with so matter-of-factly (is factly a word?), which I amost think makes it worse. This book is going to take a while to get out of my head.

15. New in NY

New in NY New Member

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

16. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Reading the 3rd book in the Mysterious Benedict Society series with DS and just started reading Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with DD.

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Rereading Voyager, by Diana Gabaldon (for about the 5th time...)

18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

HMM i have seen this book many times in the bookshop and thought I'd like to buy it mostly because of the cover..why is it horrifying?..not keen on horror any more....

19. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Real life horror, as in man's inhumanity towards man.

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Exactly.

It's not slasher horror, or gothic horror, or thriller or true-crime stuff. I actually like that stuff, too, but that's not what this is.

But, as New in NY said, it's the horror that happens in real life...what people do to each other. Discrimination, hopelessness, injustice...recognition of reality. The horror of life in Afghanistan--the wars, the factions, the conditions, the regime, the social constraints.