Tango Argentino > Books for Tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by ant, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ant

ant Member

From another group here is a list of books relating to Tango. Are there any suggestions?

. courtesy of Books.Google.com

Some texts are complete, others aren't - but there's a wealth of good reading to be had!

"The Wicked Waltz and Other Scandalous Dances" by Mark Knowles (2009)

Contemporary Readings in Social Problems By Anna Leon-Guerrero, Kristine M. Zentgraf (2008)

Tango and the political economy of passion By Marta Savigliano (1996)

Tango: The Art History of Love By Robert Farris Thompson (2006)

The tango in the United States: a history By Carlos G. Groppa (2004)

The living age, Volume 279 By Robert S. Littell (1913)

The Rotarian Mar 2000

From tejano to tango: Latin American popular music By Walter Aaron Clark (2002)

The Temptation to Tango: Journeys of Intimacy and Desire By Larry M. Sawyer, Irene D. Thomas (2005)

Tango Lover's Guide to Buenos Aires: Insights and Recommendations By Romero Migdalia Romero (2010)

National rhythms, African roots: the deep history of Latin American popular ... By John Charles Chasteen (2004)

Yoga Journal Mar-Apr 2000 - The Tao of Tango by Deirdre Guthrie

Intersecting tango: cultural geographies of Buenos Aires, 1900-1930 By Adriana J. Bergero (2008)

Something in the way she moves: dancing women from Salome to Madonna By Wendy Buonaventura (2003)

Love for Sale: A World History of Prostitution By Nils Johan Ringdal, Richard Daly (2004)

Sex & danger in Buenos Aires: prostitution, family, and nation in Argentina By Donna J. Guy (1991)

Tango in Translation: Tanz zwischen Medien, Kulturen, Kunst und Politik By Gabriele Klein (Hg.) (2009)

Whiny Ruffians and Rebellious Broads: Tango as a Spectacle of Eroticized Social Tension -- Marta E. Savigliano, Theatre Journal, Vol. 47, No. 1 (Mar., 1995), pp. 83-104. Published by: The Johns Hopkins University Press

2. mkjohnson

mkjohnson Member

wow - I never thought my list would turn up here! When I first posted that list on my blog, one of my tango friends emailed me and said 'nobody gets scholarly about tango except you' lol

3. ant

ant Member

I had no idea that was your blog. Its a small world. And thanks for the list.

4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

5. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Just finished Long After Midnight at the Nino Bien by Brian Winters.

Good in some ways, not in others. I found it good for instance on the politics of the period (2000-4). Not so good on his descriptions of the milongueros or his dance lessons. He couldnt have been that bad a dancer after spending several months at the milongas.

You'll be pleased to know OD that he advocates the African origins of the tango. :)

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Bad Times in Buenos Aires by Miranda France is an eye-opener. Not much to do with tango but a view of a city desperatley in need of psycho-analysis. Some of it is tragic and brutal; "the disappeared". some of it is funny; the phone exchange which seems to be quite random about who will receive your call. very readable

7. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

9. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

That one looks.... ummm... interesting.

In the same way that a train wreck is interesting.

The review comments are quite funny though - " I cannot give a lower recommendation" made me laugh.

10. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the reviews make it look very "interesting".

"it's the tale of a spoiled thirty-year-old (!) "girl" who talks her wealthy family into supporting her whim of becoming a professional tango dancer in Buenos Aires. Along the way to the realization two years later that it will never happen, she seduces and sleeps with every Argentine male she can get her hands on, even the delivery boy.

. . .

Set up comfortably in a luxury apartment and spending her parents' $2,000 U.S. per month on tango classes, shoes and cafes con leche, she brings man after man to her bed, and sometimes two at a time, and doesn't spare us the details.
    "

[​IMG]

11. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

It's the first TangoBonkBuster! :)

12. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Active Member

Could add The Meaning of Tango, by Christine Denniston.

Mkjohnson, I wonder if you deliberately left certain books off your list. I'd be curious to know which ones and why (would love to hear from anyone really), but of course don't feel obligated to respond. This is a great list though, and I am amazed that there are a few on here I've never heard of. (P.S. I love the scholarly stuff too!)

I agree with CaptainJep's impressions of Long After Midnight at the Nino Bien...

13. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

14. mkjohnson

mkjohnson Member

The list was never meant to be complete - it's only what I'm going through *right now*. The list came from my blog and was posted onto a news group and then onto this forum by someone else. I have more books and resources listed all over my blog in posts and on my "links" page - that was just one post.

15. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Just finished Long After Midnight at the Nino Bien by Brian Winters.

I picked this up on a recent trip to the library to research "Lindy 6". The Tango books are right there with the other dance books. And the part about how things African are thought of in Argentina was what convinced me it was worth looking into.

I read it in a couple of days while two other books I'd started sat there.

Very timely fo me since I have a trip coming up in November. I found it to be one of the most readable books about Argentina / Buenos Aires / and Argentine Tango that I've come across. And to me it was an advantage that it was written from a male perspective. It's a mix of personal experience and history. He lists no references, but he does include a lot of detail I hadn't seen in other books.

So the guy undoubtedly reads Spanish, which I don't, and seems to have had access to primary sources. The book jacket lists his at the time of publication occupation as an assistant/asscoiate? editor of non domestic news (foreign? world? whatever they call it now) for USA Today (if memory serves correctly). So he certainly is no simpe off the cuff kind of writer.

The milongueros whom he hangs out with remind me of some the old guys that hang around the places where I dance. As a student of tango in Buenos Aires, Winters, (as himself?) has a crush on his teacher similar to Robert Duval's crush (but an adult crush if you get my drift) on his teacher in "Assasination Tango".

In the end in discovers that AT in Buenos Aires isn't just about dance, and there are players... "The hook had been baited," I believe he wrote.

Lots of truth in what Winters has written, me thinks, about tango.

(Steve, I saw part of Assasination Tango on tv the other day. It reminded me of the kind of bad movie that you and your buddy (a former colleage) would make. - this said in a sort of mocking tone by someone at work)

16. mariamilonga

mariamilonga New Member

You can also check on Gustavo Benzecry Saba's:
    "New Glossary of Tango Dance" and
    "Embracing Tango, techniques and metaphors between Tango and life".

17. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I have both of these. Embracing Tango is a good one to read before going to BsAs, for the section it has on the "Codes" for milongas there. I also like the section on the surrender, as that's not something that's talked about very much at the places I frequent.

18. bordertangoman

Remember the Alamo! ;)

19. piimapoika

piimapoika Member

"Tango Passion and the rules of the game" by Margareta WestergÄrd deals with the rules that surround tango, including those outside Buenos Aires.

Has anyone read this: http://inasearchofthemethodthatneverexisted.blogspot.com/ ? It sounds interesting, but I fear it might be heavy going.

20. bordertangoman

yes its absolute rubbish..badly translated and badly written, basically its a hypothesis that the Basic 8 was..no its not even worth explaining. I think I burnt my copy... a waste of a good tree..
    but it kept me warm for half an hour.