General Dance Discussion > booty shake

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by eryyca, Feb 19, 2006.

1. eryyca

eryyca New Member

ohh man i love how those people on music videos do the booty shake but i

have no idea how theyy do it!! anyone have any advice on this??

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Here is a collection of discussions on club dancing. Feel free to look through them or you could use the search function on the site to find other threads.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the up and down hip shake movement? That's a tough one. Seriously. Some people do it naturally, but I'm not one of those people. Belly dancing class might be a place to learn -- basically, the move is using isolations -- isolating the muscles in your pelvis. Some folks do it completely naturally by imitating others. The rest of us take months or years to learn. That move is NOT easy.

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I agree. Belly dancing is a good place to learn that. Or perhaps african dancing?

5. pygmalion

If eryyca is talking about the move I'm thinking about, either belly dance or African dance is good. But belly dancing lessons are easier to find than real African dance lessons. The move is a sort of quick hip rotation -- it looks like up and down with the bottom, to the casual observer. But it's not. It's rotating the hip flexors really quickly. It's difficult!

6. Medira

Medira New Member

I learned how to do it through hula training, so that may be another option for you.

7. pygmalion

Hula! Ooh. There's a nice idea. :D

8. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I learned through belly dancing (assuming what you mean).... it's more in the thighs than the booty. Once you get used to it, it's so easy, but I remember when it wasn't

9. pygmalion

Thighs?!? Do tell. :wink: :cool:

10. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I'm not really sure how to explain it... but concentrate on shaking your thighs (feet on the floor) rather than shaking your "booty"... the booty will shake itself

11. pygmalion

I'll give it a try. I think I already have the basics, so maybe you tip will put my .. ahem ... booty over the top. :wink: :lol:

12. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I always had a wide range of hip motion so ballroom training took care of the rest. ;) Belly dancing is really good for hip motion, shimmies and general booty shaking, so I suggest you try that. If you don't like belly dancing, there's always salsa, merengue, etc. which will give you good hip motion to start with.

Twilight Elena

13. Twilight_Elena

I agree, Jenn. It actually came sort of easy for me and became much better with practice, but it's indeed difficult. And samba has a lot of it, so I'm screwed. :rolleyes:

Twilight Elena

14. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Welcome to the Forums, eryyca!

I would also strongly suggest belly or hula lessons. I think there are some break downs of basic hip isolations on the non-partner forums (see web link in my siganture line below).

I also have a few tips on my website - http://www.dancersdreamland.com/styles/styles_bellydance.htm

15. numba1

numba1 New Member

i've been asked this same question before by one of my friends/students and it was hard to explain. in hiphop, i personally say that the booty shake goes best in the 'krumping' category, but everyone has their own opinion. Being a male, i don't use that particular move, however in krumping, there are still hip and pelvis isolations for males. Applying the same principals and foundations to females should give simialr, or even better, results.

1) you need to get quite low to the ground, with your knees bent and a wide stance.

2) for males, you can shoot your pelvis out in front of you and achieve the effect that way, or with what you are saying, you'll want to ' pop ' you're booty upward and outward behind you.

i know this isn't very in depth, but it's hard to explain in person without showing it, let alone over type. hope this helpped

NOTE: the belly dance lessons are a great idea, some of my friends went for it, and came back with it clean.

16. Twilight_Elena

Booty motion does not from booty come.

Twilight Elena

17. Sabor

Sabor New Member

booty shakes.. i luv u like none other

but alas.. they are seldom done the way i like it.. fire, isolation, talent, taste and heightened musical sense are required .. yet hardly acheived for different reasons..

personally .. i shake it cause i own it.. so drop it like its sizzzzzlin.. ya dig?

18. Twilight_Elena

The Booty Shake Master has spoken. ;)

Twilight Elena

19. pygmalion

Sabor. You ... rock! You are the best!!!

I think sometimes it's not sizzlin because it's not a natural movement for everyone. Just like good old Latin hip motion. For some people it's just as natural as breathing. For other people ... not so much. :?

Somehow I have no difficulty believing that you drop it like it's hot. *giggle*

20. pygmalion

Yay!!! Thanks, numba1. :D