General Dance Discussion > Boring Dance Movies

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by linggg, Sep 1, 2003.

1. linggg

linggg New Member

Dance with me, The way she moves, Strictly Ballroom, etc.

Does anyone else find the plots of these dance movies.... inane? I mean, it's always boy meets girl/girl meets boy; one teaches the other how to dance from scratch; falls in love; falls out of love; wins competition; the end.

Billy Elliot is good tho.. but it's not a ballroom dance movie.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I enjoyed those movies. The ones I felt were boring were "Salsa" and the two Lambada movies which seemed to have little to do with dancing.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Boring, not boring. Plot, no plot. We could probably argue either way, so let's not.

Here's my view -- just fast forward through the dialogue, if necessary, to get to the "good" parts, aka dance scenes.

For example, wasn't it worth the time spent sitting through Dance with Me just to see the rumba near the end? Vanessa Williams sliding down Rick Valenzuela's leg! Oh, so hot.

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Sorry…Rick’s leg does nothing for me :lol:

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Speaking of movies, has anybody seen Assassination Tango? It only played here for about a week;folks aren't big on artsy movies here.

I heard the movie wasn't all that great, the dancing was okay, and the soundtrack was good.

Did anybody see it and/or hear something different? And any word on when it's coming to DVD. I checked the official movie website, but couldn't find any dates.

Thanks.

6. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I love Dance With Me...or is it Vanessa Williams I love? I'm so confused!

7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I loved Strictly Ballroom. It was hilarious, yet insightful.
    Remember "There are NO NEW STEPS!!!"

8. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Honestly unless the plot is really really really really really bad, I will watch a dance movie over and over. I loved Dance With Me, I own it. Haven't seen Shall We Dance yet...have to wait till it's on DVD so I can buy it.

9. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

The ones I liked were Strictly Ballroom and Dance With Me, though DWM was rather predictable plot-wise, the choreography held my attention.

I would love to see the original version of Shall We Dance?

However, so many so called "dance movies" like many of you pointed out were in fact a waste of time (like "Salsa" and all those idiotic Lambada movies for instance)

10. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Personally I hold 'Save the Last Dance' dear to my heart. Very similar to my High School experience.

11. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

hahaha, I saw that movie "salsa" last time I went movie shopping, the one with the guy from the group menudo right? I contemplated buying it (it was only 9.99) but I decided against it. I think I would have been more mad that I spent the time watching it than spending the money on it. :lol: :lol:

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

That's the one. Boring movie IMO.

13. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

That movie is just plain horrible!

14. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

good thing I used my better judgement and decided not to purchase it!!