1. Yes, I suppose I do know it's weird. I just didn't realize that this type of weird was bad and/or made people uncomfortable until she said something.

As for the hat thing, that's much less weird, as at least two other men at the Friday venue are always wearing fedoras. I don't see why that would be impolite...it's not hurting or disrespecting anyone.

dbk likes this.
  2. In which case, I would love to dance with you. Come to tonight's dance in Nashville.

NOW.

;)

3. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's not considered impolite anymore, unless the hat is a modern fashion, like a baseball cap. Being outdoor clothing - at least, back when they were de rigueur and not fanciful - hats were typically removed inside (excepting things like lobbies, public areas, places you might loose your hat, etc). They were also removed in the presence of ladies (i.e., not just when you're done dancing with them). I just think it's a little silly to pick and choose hat etiquette... selecting for the most ostentatious... and of course, the hat in question is always a fedora... :p But hey, that's my opinion, and it's just headwear.

ANYWAY. My hat-ranting aside, it sounds like this woman just doesn't like the attention (either from you, or from onlookers) that is drawn to her when you bow and fuss with your hat. Sure, social dancing has some elements of showing off, but... not that way. So some people might not like it. I'd recommend you pay more attention to your partners' reactions, if you want to keep doing it... avoid bowing to follows who don't seem to like it, just like you'd avoid risque/difficult moves with follows who are uncomfortable with them.

danceronice likes this.
  4. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Some dance teachers bow at the end of the lesson. I never thought much about it.
    It is a theatrical /funny way to say that the lesson is over.

5. nicoledance

nicoledance New Member

There's constant bowing in lindy hop. Frankie Manning always said that the "1" in the lindy hop was like a man bowing to the beauty of his partner. Of course, it's not a real bow. For that, I think it's cute and funny in a ridiculous way. It could be added flair or a running gag. I'm inspired!

6. What do you mean by the "1?"

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

im wondering if you just quit bowing??

8. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

The counts in the rhythm.

9. Yep.

10. Oh, you mean the rock step? I guess if you rock back far enough, it could turn into a bit of a "bow."