Salsa > "Break" from Salsa

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by GTO Bruin, Dec 18, 2006.

1. GTO Bruin

GTO Bruin Member

I'm sure many of you have experienced involuntary salsa interuptus. Mine comes from an untimely accident that'll keep me off the floor for a few months while I recooperate. While I am, I have a chance to reflect. I hope you all don't mind me sharing my thoughts......

Isn't it sad when you see people who just can't accept their age. You know, that older guy with the comb-over and an earring. Or the older woman in the leopard-print mini. Well maybe there's a little bit of that in all of us. Let's face it. No fun getting older.

I was just reminded of that when I donned a pair of Heelys, you know the shoes with the wheels in the heels. You can't go to a mall without getting cut off by a kid cruisin' by. Actually, they seem kinda cool in an efficient sort of way. Hell, until they put people movers in the malls instead of just airports, perhaps they're the way to go. Well my kids are not immune to trends, so they both have a pair Heelys. Now some of you may be suprized to know they come in Men's Size 11. Though I'm sure they weren't intended for Men's Age 40.

Now, I could lie to you and say I bought the Heelys so that I could be an involved Dad. But truth be told, I've had mine longer than my kids. I don't know if a 40 year old guy on a pair of Heelys is on par with the comb-over and earring, but I can attest it's a lot more dangerous.

While my nine-year old and his friend zoomed safely down my driveway into the cul-de-sac, my trip took a different route - one that began in the driveway, passed through a really clean ambulance, and ended in an operating room at County General. To remember the experience, a souvenir I'll keep with me always is a plate and several screws holding my ankle together. (And I thought airport security was fun before.)

So as I convalesce at home, I feel a little foolish. But looking on the brighter side, although this injury is not age appropriate, at least I'm not suffering from other inflictions that are age appropriate: male pattern baldness, heart disease, ulcers.......erectile disfunction. Things could be worse.

2. tj

tj New Member

Ow! Ow! Ow!

Well, at least I'm glad to hear that it wasn't more serious than the ****l-plate in the ankle. I had a similar injury years ago, and still have the scars on my ankle due to the surgery.

Hang in there, and you can always commiserate with all of us here on DF when you're missing dancing.

3. englezul

englezul New Member

I've never looked at these up close. I know rollerblades, iceskates and anything moving that mounts on your foot have a high body that locks the ankle so it's not moveable. This protects it from accidents.

Do these Heelys not have ankle protection?

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh, man... sorry to hear about your lay-up, GTO. it's a good story to tell, tho... i'm sure you'll enjoy recounting it at social events. :)

i always wondered what those rolling shoes are like. it think i'll stick to my ice skates...

but you are so right: things could be so much worse! you could have a comb-over! ;)

5. GTO Bruin

GTO Bruin Member

Thanks for the well wishes. Heelys are basically sneakers with wheels only in the heels. No ankle protection.

[​IMG]

6. Catarina

Catarina New Member

7. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I've been active in rollerblading, borderline hardcore and know plenty of fanatics. I even take lessons in techniques and go to 3 day long skate camps, and know plenty about speed skating. Own about 3 pairs of blades worth a total 1k in all... The average age of folks I go out blading with is 45. My instructor is in her mid 40's. There are guys and gals who are in their 50's, and even one fella who is in his early 60's. The number of people below age 30 is probably 4-5, some of which are kids of these hardcore rollerbladers. And every one of them kick my knat. The 60 year old dude can hit a trail and keep up with the rest of the gang for 30-40 miles. The next day when he can't blade any longer, he rents a bike and keeps up with everyone anyway (around 12 mph or a bit more). I think he mentioned arthritis... He certainly looks on his way to the grave when he is done, but somehow recovers. I, on the other hand, in my mid 20's, can survive only less than 20 miles...

When we all hit the rink, we are all padded up with helmets and ankle, knee and elbow pads. Even when it's a social night and the place is full of kids looking cool. You can tell a regular/serious skater by the fact that he is all padded up. Even the extremely good ones always pad up, because we all know that stupid mistakes can break a bone, and everyone makes mistakes.

I think you are stupid for trying out heely's without safety pads. On the other hand (and being matter of factly), your accident doesn't seem age inappropriate to me.

[My rollerblading life is pretty much in the past. I just felt like writing this in the present continuous, but since I discovered salsa, I haven't put on the blades. I think it's time to either sell them or get back to some skating...]

8. sweavo

sweavo New Member

While I'm not saying you're wrong, I fail to see how safety padding would have saved the ankle?

9. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

you are right :)

for me, safe skating implies an ankle support system. but even without that, just wearing a bunch of pads encourages you to fall correctly instead of resisting the fall and getting it worse.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

strange enuf, although i'd never seen these before, i went out shopping the night you shared your story and what did i come across in two separate stores... the current bane of your existence. lol

11. SnowDancer

SnowDancer New Member

I look at the bright side: Now that I'm over 50, women that I used to think of as "old" (40's) now seem young, and some of them would look just fine in that mini!

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hey, the 40s are the new 20s, as far as i'm concerned

LOL

13. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

agreed. At 21, I thought that 30 was oldd.... lates 20's now, and I think that mid 30's are still very youthful and young... and even some late 30's can be young depending on lifestyle... so i no longer worry much about getting older :)

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

sweetheart, i'm early 40s... there's still plenty of youth in me.
    :D

but as you said... "depending on lifestyle". that's the biggee, right?

15. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

the things is that i've figured out one mantra of being young (among many others, several of which i'm still discovering) - never worry about being too politically correct. I somehow suspected that the moment I threw out numbers, someone would call me on it :) I suppose it was obvious to you that I didn't imply anything more than a view from my head and not a universal rule, and that when I'd be 35, I'd think that being 35 is being young and so would be 45 - right? And I'd probably repeat it when I'm 80....

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh god, yah... please don't be pc around me... too much work

we're just chatting, anyway... i'm not calling you on anything. ;)

i'm hoping that at 80 i'm looking and feeling more like the way many 40-yr-olds look & feel :D

17. noobster

noobster Member

The thing about age is that we are all going to be each age for exactly one year. I think it's more important that one make the most of each year, and be happy with whatever one is doing at the time.

I don't even think it's that productive to think about 'acting young' or 'feeling young' or being 'young at heart.' What's wrong with being an active, healthy, dancing, age-appropriate 40/50/60-year-old?

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

dunno... what exactly does "age-appropriate" mean? who decided what it means, and why should i confine myself to it?

just wondering... you raise some good questions, noob :)

19. noobster

noobster Member

Well, you don't have to confine yourself to anything of course. :)
    I just meant that to me it seems like having to 'feel young' is confining in itself. It seems to me it would be more freeing to be able to engage in any given activity (dancing, loud concerts, riding rollercoasters, whatever) without the need to think of it as 'acting young' or 'keeping one young' or whatever. I mean, why not be 'a healthy 50-year-old who dances' rather than 'a 50-year-old who feels 25'? That just seems to privilege youth unnecessarily, to accept that in some way it is 'better' or more desirable than age. Which i don't necessarily think is true.

But it's just sort of a personal feeling of mine. Not something to argue about or convince anyone of. :)

20. witchphd

witchphd New Member

Interesting. I came up with this exact thought just before I read noobster's post. I was trying to think what was in my head when I find myself attaching the concept "age appropriate" to something that seems out of place. I'd say that if you genuinely enjoy something, then go ahead and do it. But if you're doing it just to prove a point, in this case that you feel like a x year old, then it seems like you're just trying to be something you are not. Kind of like if someone is saying "look at me, I'm not old!" I believe that's what's showing.

And I'll use noobster's disclaimer in the last line as well. :)