Tango Argentino > Videos > Bringing it back to its roots

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Light Sleeper, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

I saw this live - these two were something else. Absolutely fantastic to watch. Wow.

So, those G & Jav fans - mourn no longer... this is a new chapter and it is awesome. I personally am not mourning the end of the Javier partnership... no more little dolly tippy toed marionette dancing where it had come to the point G was wearing the pants... a new chapter...

... a breath of fresh air.

Awesome authentic tango. So dynamic. A true partnership. Wonderful to see the moment to moment spark, and G being kept on her toes by E (not literally this time ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oUe100Ns5U

2. jantango

jantango Active Member

I can't help but wonder what the observers were thinking during the exhibitions.

The women: I wish I wer Geraldin's age so my body could move like hers.

The men: Oh, how I wish I could dance a tanda with Geraldin.

Was the entire audience over 50?

By the way, G & E are a married couple with baby.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Wow. Stunning.:)

4. Peaches

That seems awfully harsh. Care to explain what prompted that sort of comment?

5. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

What was it Voltaire said, "Appreciation is a wonderful thing, it makes what is great in others belong to us as well" (or something similar)

I just am wowed by people dancing with great ability. As it happens, they danced socially together with the rest of the crowd and then with the hosts. It was inspiring and instructive, just watching her made little things about posture make sense to me.

The audience were in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.... what's your point? :confused:

Unsurprisingly, I already knew that G & E are a married couple with a baby. ;)

6. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Sorry, no harshness meant - though I can see how it would read that way - oops! It's an English thing ;)

Nah, it was a little bit of cheeky polemic ;) I was just in a polemical mood .. something must be catching around here ;)

The background to that comment was the wave of bitterness from tangoistas at G & J's break up and the nastiness and unfair criticisms directed at Ezequiel. I know I shouldn't do it but I found myself reading a lot of said comments. People were saying there was no 'magic' any more and so on and so forth but getting quite nasty with it. Also, I read a great interview with Geraldin and Ezequiel whereby they talk a lot about what they feel the essence of tango should be and she'd also said she was fed up with how the partnership with Javier because she felt like she was dancing alone. They also referred to having had a hard time and being told they shouldn't dance together.. at one event they were even introduced by the host as 'Geraldin and Javier'!

For the record, some of G & J's performances are my favourite.. but I think times change, things move on, people should embrace change instead of mourning the past. My fave G & J performance is the one they did to Los Mareados.. my least fave to Poema (too tippy toe and marionette for my tastes - but that is purely my taste, I just happen to not like the tippy toe thing).

Having read the interview, going back and watching some of G & J's later work... you do get an understanding of what she meant re wearing the trousers.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

lovely vid :)

8. Peaches

Ohhhhhh...backstory, not snarkiness. Now I get it. Thanks for the clarification. (It seemed unusually harsh for you, which is why I asked.)

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

mmmh ?

LS, I´m (a bit) worried about this !

10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Mine, too.

Don't. She explained it. Leave it. Please.

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

.. and

jaaaa, did it already ! And for all of you : Merry Christmas !

btw: what is the culture-free globalized english expression for it? Nice holidays? or lots of milongas?

cheers
    OD

12. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Merry Christmas will do :D

13. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

thank you for sharing

14. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Glad you enjoyed it :) Needless to say, I was too enthralled to do any filming myself!

15. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I'm just surprised that there was a Tango ball in Yorkshire in 1999, personally :D

16. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member