Country and Western > Bro Country

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Steve Pastor, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Any comments on this latest trend in country music?

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I had to Bing to find out what the term meant, but I get it now... Big & Rich etc. I'll toss out two observations: (1) some of this stuff has not been quite among my favorites, but also (2) genre purists annoy the hell out of me.

SciGuy likes this.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Bro country tends to be some of my favorite...I think in some ways it's just a natural evolution of the genre (though I hate myself for finding "That's my kinda night" so catchy, I can't help it).

Also, since I'm a young twenty something male, I'm probably smack in the middle of the trend's target demographic.

4. Steve Pastor

Rolling Stone's country site had this to say.

"Try Harder Than That," is already garnering attention not only for a genre-busting rap mid-song, but also for lyrics that take down the "bro country" movement

so I thought I'd share. Actually like the song and would do nite club to it. But then, I do nite club to Hey Bartender, too.

5. Steve Pastor

In a Ballroom thread someone mentioned "country song," and this song came to me ended up in my head.

Not Bro Country

6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I can swill hooch with the best of them, but it's not a lifestyle for me. It's a once every few months, I have three drinks and samba seems way more fun than it normally does thing. That's what I don't like about "the alcoholic lifestyle country" that I hear every time I can't avoid a country station. All it IS is drink, drink, drunk, drinking, get her drunk, get me drunk, when we drink, ain't drinkin' fun, drinkin's what urrehbuddeh do, ha-ha, the things alcohol makes you do, lol, I got in jail because I was drinkin', and so forth. I get that people drink, but we're in a culture now where the odd man out is the one who doesn't drink, or doesn't just live for it the way people seem to now.

So no, not a fan of current country trends, bro or otherwise, because throughout whatever new crap is popping up, this theme seems to overlap everything. I can practically smell the Jim Beam Black and Axe wafting through the speakers. Ick.

7. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I actually had to do some research to see what it was. I actually don't mind this song, but most of this genre I will agree are pretty awful. You just can't take it seriously.

8. chuck4788

chuck4788 Member

I WCS to Bartender, well my wife likes it.