Brush for Cleaning Soles

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DWise1, Oct 19, 2005.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Being the typical male shopper, I need to gather intel before going out to hunt down the item.

Where do they sell those wire brushes for cleaning the gunk off the soles of dance shoes? Would any shoe store carry them? Or are they more specifically a dance store item? And are there different kinds and which ones would you warn me away from?
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I use a nail file. Cheap and works. I do know that there have been discussions on this topic before, though...too.
  3. Sagitta

4. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I don't think you'll find a shoe brush at shoe stores, however you can find them at your local hardware store. For about $5 at a hardware store you can get a small, metal brush with short, straigh bristles that is very similar, if not the same as what many ballroom companies sell.

I personally prefer the type of brush with curved bristles and as far as I know, you can only get it from ballroom companies. I'm sorry I don't know which ones -- I bought my brush many years ago and have not needed to replace it yet. I think the curved bristles are much better at restoring very abused soles to a nice nap. One problem with this brush is that the bristles are very sharp and more than once when I've been in a hurry between rounds I've cut my hand.
  5. Sagitta

called a nail file. :wink: :)
  6. Medira

Medira New Member

Freed sells them, as does Angelo Luzio. Check out any local store that sells ballroom shoes. I got mine for $6.
  7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Do you mean a "file card"? Used to clean metal files.

To me, a "nail file" would be what a manicurist would use on your finger nails.

And thank you, everyone, for your quick response.
  8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I say get a real dance shoe brush from a dance shoe store or online, definetely!
    They have a bent bristle, very sharp, that really works well. Straight bristle ones from hardware stores do not work as well.
    This is what I have found over many years and many students who went the cheap route. Get the real thing! It's worth it!
    :!:

And use it every time you dance. The suede is useless if it's smoothed down.
  9. lynn

lynn New Member

OK, this is somewhat of a weird question, but how are you supposed to use the brushes? Am I supposed to use it in the direction of the curve or the opposite??
  10. chachachacat

You brush in the direction opposite your hand! :D
  11. lynn

lynn New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock:

wouldn't i accidentally pull the suede sole off???
  12. chachachacat

I hold it by the heel and brush toward the toe, actually. I don't know if the suede would come off, but best not to encourage it.
  13. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

I bought my brush in a cookery shop :lol: . The same type you use to clean the stove. :D It works great ...but some types are too weak. So beware!

/luc
  14. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

BTW, this if for my raw-leather soled Aris Allen shoes.

Does that make a difference?
  15. Sagitta

YUp...file card.
  16. Sagitta

Leather!! :shock: I would say so, given that most people are talking about suede soles, I think...
  17. Medira

Medira New Member

Ooooh, yep. The big, toothy, heavy duty wire brushes are meant for suede soles! Good catch Sagitta.
  18. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I brought up that question because I saw everyone else talking about suede.

So then what would be recommended for cleaning raw-leather soles?

BTW, FWIW, on my sueded shoes I had just let them get nice and slick. "Iced chrome" I think some call it. But I'd rather not let that happen with my good shoes.
  19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

The brush IS for suede soles, although I've seen Pros use sandpaper . . . my wife uses sandpaper if she can't find one of the dozen brushes we own

We get the brushes at dance event . . . maybe $2. I brush toward the toe too!

"Chrome suede" is a very tough and long wearing suede. It's black and expensive . . . my last pair cost $65 for new suede heels and soles. But it's good for 2 -3 years if you brush often . . . like take the brush with you in your shoe bag and brush several times during an evening of dance.
  20. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

So then you're saying to not use a brush on a raw leather sole?