Ballroom Dance > Videos > Bryan Watson & Carmen Vincelj's Final Honor Dance (Retirement Announcement)

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Dapenda, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Dapenda

Dapenda New Member

Bryan Watson & Carmen Vincelj - Final Honor Dance (Retirement Announcement)

Bryan Watson & Carmen Vincelj (7 Time World Professional Latin Supreme Champions) Retirement Announcement from Professional Competition and Honor Dance at the 2007 Blackpool Dance Festival

2. dance234

dance234 New Member

How mortifying to have to dance to that music.

Secondly, I don't know much about Bryan and Carmen other than who they are, but their farewell moment seems strangely devoid of hints of closeness between them. The only embrace they enjoyed was awkward, and throughout the farewell they barely made eye contact. Can anyone provide any context other than a rote "oh I'm sure they were overwhelmed"?

3. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Oh my... that was very emotional. It's sad that they're retiring, but it's the natural order of things...

T_E

4. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I don’t know. I see plenty of closeness between Bryan and Carmen throughout the ceremony. Did you expect more tears for each other as if they were parting lovers? I am sure that they will keep working together, traveling, doing showcases and coaching, etc, like many retired pros do. If you feel you do not see enough hugs and eye contacts between them, it is because it is not really about them saying good bye to each other, but more about saying good bye to the audience and judges in this kind of capacity. JMHO.

5. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Thank you Dapenda for posting that- really emotional and beautiful.

dance234 re: the music- it's Blackpool!

And well put Dancebug- they're leaving the competitive arena- not each other! They seem close to me and I can't even imagine what it would be like to retire with the atmosphere of Blackpool after such a successful competitive career.

6. dance234

dance234 New Member

Interesting, I didn't think of it that way - that they are pretty much a brand and probably don't see the end of their competitive career as a divorce at all.

7. Musique

Musique New Member

Is the sound in syn with the vid?

8. dance234

dance234 New Member

Could depend on your connection. For me it was.

9. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

For what it's worth, they were both crying their eyes out. I don't know if any of that shows on the video.
    Carmen started crying toward the end of the jive (she knew it was her last competitive dance), and she waved goodbye to the crowd as they exited the floor. That's when I knew the retirement announcement was coming.
    When the announcement was made, the crowd gave a standing ovation that lasted over 10 minutes, I think (much longer than what appears on the video, because they were recalled to the floor for more goodbyes). By this time, Bryan was crying openly. You can see some of that on the video.
    So, yes, it was very emotional, but it's an emotion between them and the crowd. They're not splitting up.

10. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I saw emotion from both of them towards the entire situation. They were both crying...she started first and then he got started and here I was watching the video on the computer crying too just because...well, it was so SAD and I cant help but cry when other people look sad and cry. :rolleyes:

11. Katushka

Katushka New Member

Thank you for posting this video... Very strange feellings - my lovely Carmen crying dancing last time... She was very young, than I saw her thirst time, and for all this years she was like star for me. How quickly time run....

12. Dapenda

Dapenda New Member

Hey everyone, I'm sad to say I got a letter to remove the video. Really hope you guys enjoyed it

13. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Very beautiful--thanks, Dapenda.

14. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Yes. I was actually very, very surprised to find this video already on youtube. This is the professional tape, taken by the organizers themselves, not an amateur video taken by someone's hidden cam or phone.
    Am very curious as to how it got onto youtube in the first place :)
    I find it amusing because of all the (misguided, fruitless and eventually unnecessary) steps taken by organizers to control videotaping at their events.
    A full-length video from Blackpool, of all places, on the internet, within less than a week of the event itself. Why do I feel like smirking?

15. douggyw

douggyw New Member

Its not filmed by the organisers, but Quasar Video who have done it for like 16 years and are now venturing into internet tv. I've talked to them and the work and costs that go into filming the festival is immense and far beyond what anyone could imagine - professional video is very expensive, nevermind the royalties they have to pay. Its unbelievable that anyone could have the nerve to post it anywhere, especially when they are providing it for free on thedancingchannel and at such good quality.

16. Becca

Becca Active Member

My own version is uploaded now, if anyone wants to search for that?

Same moment, just the quality is nowhere near as good as the professional version!

My username is killickkarttunen.

17. dance234

dance234 New Member

Jools -hah. Point.

18. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Why curious? If te White House or the Pentagon can't prevent leaks, how can Blackpool? I enjoyed the Rumba video, in which simple basic steps were executed so beautifully. I tried to take a closer look at it but, to my great dismay, the video had disappeared. Thanks to the original poster.

19. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Thank you, Becca. I saw the video you posted, and I find it in good quality. I recorded it for my personal use before it disappears again.

20. Becca

Becca Active Member

I'm glad you like it. It was difficult to get as everybody stood up and my boyfriend and myself literally had to climb on the backs of seats to get a view.

I actually didn't stop crying until 2:30 that morning. The response from everyone was just so overwhelming. To see the reactions from their fellow professionals was so touching, the things they both said and how beautiful they were with all their fans was the most amazing thing ever.

It was so mean when security started to clear the building after the competition was over, Carmen was desperate for them to give her just five minutes more to speak to her fans. All my friends and I stayed around for long enough to get a hug from her, though!