Tango Argentino > BsAs syndrome

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mladenac, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Since the BsAs is the holy place of every AT dancer I would like to have comparison with other known transient psychological disorders:

Paris syndrome - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome ,
    Jerusalem syndrome - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_syndrome,
    Stendhal syndrome - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stendhal_syndrome

Some of AT dancers here declare to BsAs as the holy place of every AT dancers.

How many of trip to BsAs did not end the way you wanted regarding of too much expectation or because of so intense feelings you experienced in BsAs.

2. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

BsAs is a very long way from England, and while it might be fun to dance there as a tourist, I couldn't transplant the Latin culture or BsAs codigas back here, on my return, and if I tried, everyone else would think me mad, or just a prat.

So English tango will have to do for me: connection and the music. They're enough.

3. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

I can see no point in dancing in BsAs as a tourist.

All that way only to dance with foreigners. Yes, I know Portenos
    are foreigners to us, everything in BsAs would be foreign to me.
    But why go all the way there only to dance with North Americans,
    Japanese and Europeans. But I know of people who have done
    exactly that.

On the other hand I also know of people who have specifically learnt
    how to at least make a good attempt at dancing BsAs style before
    they go. I would say if that is what interests you, then do it if you can
    and there are a whole host of reasons for doing so, the most important
    one for me is the personal experience. And no, I haven't been yet.

The other view is here:
    http://melinas-two-cent.blogspot.com/

[​IMG]

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

So you learn "BsAs style." You'll still "only be dancing with other tourists."

So go with another dancer, or your SO. Don't be a menace, but dance together with someone you care about. Enjoy an evening at a milonga--even if you're not dancing it's an enjoyable place to spend the evening chatting with a friend and having a bite to eat and a glass of champagne to sip.

Eh. I say go. If not for the dancing, then because it's an awesome place to visit with amazing food. (And, no, I don't actually mean the beef. I don't care about the beef. The veggies are amazing, though, as is the coffee.) The dancing is a great excuse for a vacation you wouldn't ordinarily take. :D

ETA: Go with no expectations, and you won't ever be disappointed.

5. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

If that's the case I won't be going, just see no point.

True enough, but the attraction is the city and the dancing,
    the whole experience surely. I have come to the conclusion
    that men are likely to have a more difficult time getting dances
    in the milongas than the visiting ladies (they seem to have different
    problems) but without going that is merely speculation.

6. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

BTW Mladenac the evidence of these syndromes isn't exactly convincing.
    Very low numbers indeed, they just seem to be names for the sake of
    names. Tango Addiction Syndrome of course is another matter entirely.

7. UKDancer

Obviously true, but it's a very long way to go to find out!

I'd never say never, and the dancing would be part of the trip. You couldn't go and not dance. But it wouldn't be the main reason to go for me. I'd go for the beef.

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

The wife and I made the trek a year and 1/2 ago, and we had a great time. Thus we plan to return, possibly this summer (their winter). If you are going there for tango, classes are a bargain. So that's another thing to consider.

The food is very good there (not just the beef), and if you're into shopping, you won't be disappointed. The only real worry I have is that the first trip was so good, I'm not sure if we can match it a second time.

9. pascal

pascal Active Member

From the quoted link: It is thought that it is the rapid and frequent fluctuations in mood, tense and attitude, especially in the delivery of humour, which cause the most difficulty.

- Excuse me, we are looking for Notre-Dame.
    - Your lady, but look she is right here hahaha
    - Excuse me?
    - Hey drop dead, can't you read a map?

10. chanchan

chanchan Member

Some people declare to Paris as the holy place for every student of French language. Is that a case of Paris syndrome?
    I think it is just a matter of fact: you can find a lot of good French teachers all over the world. But if you want to practise it, talking with your fellow countrymen is not the same thing as talking with a lot of different native speakers.

11. pascal

pascal Active Member

Haha that's what I did two years ago. Spent three months there. It was cold. It was dark. It was rainy. The teachers were mostly gone abroad. Many milongas and classes were closed because of the winter, or cancelled because of H1N1. There was a big gap between the tango life as announced in the magazines (tangauta) & webpages, and the real tango life. Even the 2x4 radio was mainly talking about the elections or the H1N1.
    Want to experiment a BsAs syndrom? Go there in (their) winter.

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Well since I very much prefer cold to heat (and their winter is very mild compared to what I'm used to), that's what I plan to do.

[​IMG]

13. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

14. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

It's a bit like the Hajj. One trip in my lifetime - that's part of my holy obligation.

I dont really need a second trip though.

15. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

In Paris everybody especially the Japanese expect that the Parisians are kind and some kind of expectations regarding Paris as city of love ...

16. UKDancer

They can't ALL be going for the first time, surely, or they would know better?

17. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Maybe they're meeting French tourists in Paris and just think they are talking to Parisians.

18. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

People in small towns are almost always friendlier than people in big cities. Paris is a big city. I met adament French speakers, people who addressed me in English (because it is the closest thing the world currently has to a lingua franca) people who didn't have time for me , and people who were very helpful.

Anyone traveling to another culture should learn about it ahead of time to help avoid "culture shock".

I've never felt a big obligation to go the Buenos Aires just because I dance Argentine Tango. In fact the treating of Buenos Aires as "Mecca" has always seemed rather odd to me.
    Still, I do want to go and check it out. Not that I would expect a great tango experience, but I would like to go and see some of the places I have been reading about all these (10) years. (Somehow I doubt that I will me swept off my feet my a milonguero embrace.)

Still, Patagonia will probably be the next overseas place I will travel to, and most trips transit through BA to get there. Many include attendance at a tango show. WOOOHH!
    Ummm, I would like to spend a week or so, but at least a week end.

19. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Skip the Tango show (since I'm sure you've seen plenty of that sort of thing) and go to hear a symphony at Teatre Colon, one of the finest concert halls in the world. Spring for good seats.

sixela likes this.
  20. jantango

jantango Active Member

Steve wrote: People in small towns are almost always friendlier than people in big cities.

I moved to Buenos Aires for three reasons: (1) the friendly people, (2) the beautiful city, and (3) to dance tango, in that order. I live walking distance from the Congress and the theater district, and I am greeted by shop owners and people on the street in my neighborhood. I usually run into someone from the milongas since there is a men's club nearby where the milongueros hang out in the afternoon. I can't pass the paint store without being greeted by the manager, nor can I walk past the Italian restaurant without a kiss and a hello from the waiters (even though I'm not a regular customer). This is just the way people are in this city.

After 12 years here, I'm glad I downsized my life and started a new one in Buenos Aires.

sixela likes this.